Last chance saloon for 600

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
fred

Re: Last chance saloon for 600

Post by fred »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 pm
Hand on heart my opinion of depth after 27 years detecting is..... your kidding yourself.
You will not , not with the hand of god almighty himself using the spade ...find a silver coin or even a copper coin 18 inches in soil , and even less in mineralised salt riddled sand .

So there ::g
:D

The end.

Minelabs are reknowned for performing far better on 'salt riddled sand' than they ever will on land. On beaches 18 inches on a large copper coin is easily and repeatably do-able. Beaches do vary a bit though, give me hard black sand every time. ::g

PS Only 27 years? I've been at it just shy of 50. :D

Equinox 800 x2

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

thefiggis wrote:
Please do stay on topic and hopefully the OP will be back to give us the verdict at some point.

::g
Sorry rl;

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Ahh well, depth is all about opinions I guess .

I think you should stick with the equinox ::g

Bors

Post by Bors »

u;@ I think rex123 `s already rolled the dice and made his decision, Its Snake Eyes ,whatever dots come up . :)) ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

Hmm, I thought that this has been pretty much on-topic. Rex was querying the depth potential of the nox, and depth has always been the subject (and myth) of detectors. Depth is far more complex than simply 'which machine', with all the variables of land composition, combination of settings, etc. Personally, I've found the responses interesting. I was watching a video a while back where the guy searched his pile of spoil and found a coin and promptly popped his pointer in the hole and declared the depth... with no idea which layer it came out in.
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult and we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult.

Bors

Post by Bors »

u;@ Absolutely but inevitably the Fishermans tales always appear on some peoples love of their machine ,and my only criticism is when that does happen , that banging out fictional depth figures very often cause other potential buyers to rush out and buy on the very basis of what they read and are eventually ultimately deeply disappointed upon realising those figures could never be replicated. :(
There is a way of prooving those figures are fictional by a method called the " Biot Savart law of magnetic fields ", (Google it) but its that technical very few people unless your an extremely techy sort can understand how to work it out. I have had it explained to me by a guy who is that techy, but even I would get lost attempting to explain it out,so I wouldn`t even attempt to try and explain it.
You just cannot defy the law of physics of the magnetic field on an 11" coil below ground in real terms to go beyond its capability. We`ve all seen the videos of digging of deeeep holes and planting a coins in it and waving the coil above and the coil picking the coin up. BUT it doesn`t do that in the field under normal detecting searching. There's all sorts of barriers to prevent it. Trash , Iron , mineralisation , EMI including the size of Coil used . All those things are preventing exceptional depth.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

Bradrick wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:20 am
Hmm, I thought that this has been pretty much on-topic.
Quite correct and apologies for the "off-topic" nonsense I spouted earlier (now deleted). No idea what I was thinking about (something else entirely, obviously!). Blame a combination of Dennis and stupidity :D ::g

As you were...
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

thefiggis wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 pm
Bradrick wrote:
Quite correct and apologies for the "off-topic" nonsense I spouted earlier (now deleted). No idea what I was thinking about (something else entirely, obviously!). Blame a combination of Dennis and stupidity :D ::g

As you were...
Not at all old chap... you are a gent! We have the luxury of posting any old tosh, whilst you are in the hot seat to make sure we don't drift into 'my machine's better than yours'. My point was really about the depth myth. I found a couple of nice items in particular at an impressive depth with an older machine, but if I buried them at the same depth again on one of my iron-infested pastures I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find them again. The benefit of the nox is the flexibility of being able to change the settings to suit the field. What is the point of being able to locate the occasional find at great depth if you are missing goodies at eight inches due to its proximity to iron or the composition of the soil/EMI?

My advice to Rex is to concentrate on the potential sophistication of the nox (600 or 800) rather than the 'depth'. If you look at most posts where members have gone over previously searched ground with the nox (or any other changes they have made to their particular machine) the finds haven't come up at extreme depths, it is the changes through learning that have made the difference.
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult and we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult.

fred

Post by fred »

thefiggis wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 pm
Bradrick wrote:

As you were...

Would that be single malt Clan Dennis? :D
Equinox 800 x2

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

fred wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:34 pm
Would that be single malt Clan Dennis? :D
=))
Off Topic
Wish it were, Fred. Having had both brain cells constantly bashing into each other due to the high winds of Ciara and now Dennis, the old thinking material's way below par :D
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

I’ve kept out of this on-going discussion so far but I will say common sense should prevail.

I bought a Safari some years ago and absolutely hated the thing. But I knew I couldn’t afford to back track and buy anything else. That was the only reason I had to stick with it.

If the OP doesn’t like it very little will change his mind. If he can afford the change then it should go and best of luck with his next choice. ::g

p.s. took me a long time but I ended up loving the Safari but not the weight.

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

Had the same with safari at 1st hated it but once I got use to it It was a really good machine to use but like you said it got heavy after a bit the only reason I got rid of it was packed in metal detecting for a bit after suffering a bad back from sliding down some rocks sea fishing lol ::g
🏴‍☠️ Minelab Equinox Dirt Fishing For Gold.Silver.Copper.Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Roger

Post by Roger »

The only problem with the equinox is everybodys got one now ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

More off-topic replies related to other brands removed, please remain on topic or this topic will need to be locked off.
Thanks
mrix

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

Hopefully not before Rex reports his results! If he does that is? x; :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Easylife wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:45 pm
After all that’s been said and the many NOX (did you see that) he’s had I doubt he’ll show his head above the pulpit for a while.

You know what say about horses and water. Well it’s right and no number of extra strong mints will make any difference.

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

Well put ladybird66 lol ::g
🏴‍☠️ Minelab Equinox Dirt Fishing For Gold.Silver.Copper.Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:24 pm
Easylife wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:45 pm
After all that’s been said and the many NOX (did you see that) he’s had I doubt he’ll show his head above the pulpit for a while.

You know what say about horses and water. Well it’s right and no number of extra strong mints will make any difference.
It's obviously a good machine, you hardly see anything negative written about it. Rex and I appear to be massive Minelab fans.

We're probably uncomfortable with The Equinox as it doesn't have the characteristics of a traditional Minelabian product.

New word for you guys ::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

From what I’ve seen many NOX owners were previous Minelab users. I was one and would freely preach the attributes of owning one. The weight was always a critism of the brand so it was a no brainier to opt for the new lightweight version.
As said above there was one major change with the NOX and when I first switched mine on it was an initial disappointment.
Why did they change the tones ? They are awful :( I often said my first Minelab used to sing to me, I (eventually) loved it and once I understood it knew what every cheep or sigh meant. This one sounds like a blooming ‘rapper’ in comparison.
But I must admit it’s a small sacrifice for the many advantages. ::g

littleboot

Post by littleboot »

I suppose it depends where you detect and what the land is like. If you are on old pasture a lot then any extra depth is welcome....logic says it will glean new finds. Equally, however, a new machine...whether a new brand altogether or a new model of the same brand...will usually glean more on land already thoroughly searched. A different coil...different set-up...different frequency combination....etc etc etc.
However, I have found the biggest plus with the Nox is its target separation. Winkled a silver out the other day...very thin and a low-ish tone.....from a very well searched area busy with trashy signals. Now I know the thing hadn't moved as it was pasture....it was just that the Nox was able to separate it out better than the machines I'd used there before.

Another point....I feel that 'increased depth' without an increase in refinement of the machine is very blunt instrument and tends to produce lots of big holes with nothing much of any quality in any of them. I had a deep machine (can't say which one) but it wasn't much fun to use as the rest of it didn't match up performance-wise and I ended up not enjoying my detecting. It felt more like trench warfare.
I have only so much detecting time....and the depth I get is very good and gets me good finds. I no longer feel inclines to spend lots of time digging craters. In the end it can result in a net deficit in my finds pouch, especially on difficult terrain.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

I agree with Ladybird’s comments above regarding the sounds. The Equinox is my first Minelab (after using many other machines) and the signals do take a bit of getting used to. On heavily mineralised and iron infested pasture the chattering (despite ground balance) does require the user to take time to ‘tune in’ and interpret the information. I do have another machine which is very much a ‘dig me (or not)’ in terms of the signals and the depth is reasonable too. I’d still use it in situations where time is of the essence.

Littleboot is spot on in terms of target separation and the benefits of the technology in conjunction with perfectly acceptable depth. On the land that I search the nox certainly made a difference when going over previously searched land… not necessarily the depth, but targets I had obviously previously rejected.

If the OP (rex) just can’t get on with the machine, then that’s fine… I was gifted a new machine many years ago in return for a review, but I just didn’t like it and sold it, but I personally wouldn’t sacrifice a nox just based upon a ‘depth test’ without taking the many benefits into account.
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Flossyrockstar

Post by Flossyrockstar »

Scoob wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:53 pm
fred wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm
Scoob wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Alot deeper than 10". Like the OP I have a 600 and I'm not impressed with it, despite dropping the recovery to 1 and the iron bias to 0.

Like the OP too, I've been a Minelab user for a long time. Seems most users love them but some can't get on with them.
Those settings are something I would strongly advise against using on land. Even on a 600, and with Tone 1 and everything else set up properly, all the signals will be so wide that in most fields you will not be able to sort out where one signal ends and the next one starts. The Nox is not quite like other Minelabs so I really wouldn't rely on your experience of other machines too much.

There is plenty written about how to set up and learn the Nox but trying to bypass the learning curve really is setting yourself up for a hard time. Once you start to suss out the Nox it is a completely different ballgame and there are lots of permutations which work for people.

Anybody can post or pm their settings and I will certainly have a good look at them for you. Better still try and find somebody with a Nox to run through it with you.

Best of luck. :D
Ah, my mistake I'm beach only. As for my settings, beach 1 iron volume down to 1, recovery 1 iron bias none and disc rather than all metal as it's too noisy in all metal. Just seem to spend way too long checking maybe signals in all metal. I figure if blobs of aluminium/ copper shrapnel and those damn bullet heads give a good signal at 8" faint sounds are worth investigating, but at 18" it ain't out so I'm calling it deep iron and moving on. Sensitivity 20 usually, but sometimes I go up to 22 depending on the beach.

I've probably spent too much time with PI's and older Minelab's because Equinox is unlike any other Minelab I've ever used.
Lift your FE to 6 and use it in all metal that will quieten it down a bit. ::g

haggz

Post by haggz »

My advice to Rex is to concentrate on the potential sophistication of the nox (600 or 800) rather than the 'depth'. If you look at most posts where members have gone over previously searched ground with the nox (or any other changes they have made to their particular machine) the finds haven't come up at extreme depths, it is the changes through learning that have made the difference.

bang on summary. got to the point with my 800 I nearly reverted back to my ACE 250. after many attempts and playing with settings I am now more confident with my machine. must say it's been a huge learning curve so never give up. maybe meet up with another owner local to you and get their input on settings. that one suggestion/change could be a game changer. happy hunting

Muddyknee

Post by Muddyknee »

haggz wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm

bang on summary. got to the point with my 800 I nearly reverted back to my ACE 250. after many attempts and playing with settings I am now more confident with my machine. must say it's been a huge learning curve so never give up. maybe meet up with another owner local to you and get their input on settings. that one suggestion/change could be a game changer. happy hunting
Precisely,I had to unlearn how I detected with my Garrett.
The myriad of potential settings can be daunting,especially to those used to get up and running 'out of the box'.
The Nox teaches you you're not a passive bystander,expecting your machine to tell you exactly what you've located by a mere glance at the VDI.
And to prioritise depth capability is,IMHO,the preserve of those dabbling at the edges of the hobby,something I might've put first as a green detectorist.
I'll take accuracy over depth any day.
People don't change when they see the light.....
......they only change when they feel the heat.
Nox 800,that is all.
NCMD No 19622

fred

Post by fred »

I would have thought that the whole point of the much vaunted Nox learning curve was that beginners should concentrate on the basics and gradually progress onto the more complicated stuff. Good target separation, accurate target identification and extreme depth are perfectly compatible on the Nox, just not at the start of the journey. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Wasted thread as the machine now in the the classifieds!
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle »

Pete E wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am
Wasted thread as the machine now in the the classifieds!
As Pete said...

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=118752&p=1050948#p1050948 SOLD

OP posted 13th Feb... so I guess 7 days is enough to try everything out first 8-|
Minelab Equinox 800
My settings link:
viewtopic.php?f=291&t=102266

Hammered = 10

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”