ID Challenge No.20. Jan 2020. Enter if you dare.

Past ID Challenges can be found in this forum.
thefiggis

ID Challenge No.20. Jan 2020. Enter if you dare.

Post by thefiggis »

What ho,

This challenge is a little different in that we know what the coin is (thread here). This time the subject is more for those who like a puzzle and who are of a strong constitution.

Yes, this one's a bit of a mess right enough and you must think I've gone quite mad but there just might be enough to get the moneyer and mint with a bit of detective work and access to a good supply of headache tablets.

I might be way off the mark here but if you look at the coin on the left in the first image, at 12 o'clock there appears to be an O. To the left of that is a stop and to the left of the stop is an E. So, my thinking is that as the mint and moneyer were denoted by, say, ROGER ON CANT, the O could belong to the ON, in which case the moneyer's name ends in E or the moneyer's name starts with an O and the mint ends with E...

xxxxE . ON . xxxxx (moneyer) . ON . (mint)
or
Oxxxx .... xxxxE (moneyer) . ON . (mint)

Hope that's clear but if not just shout. I've turned the coin slightly in each image to save cricking any necks and you can enlarge the images by clicking on them. I strongly suggest using the notch as a reference point if you start feeling ill ::g

Entry forms to be found here

The challenge will be closed some time after 17.00 on Wednesday, 29th Jan

A search for Richard I mints and moneyers throws up a lot of information but here is a decent resource.

Best of luck though this will probably be the only challenge we've done with lawsuits for compensation outnumbering the entries =))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Allectus

ID Challenge Answer from Allectus -

Post by Allectus »

4a. Goldwine - Canterbury

Doodles

ID Challenge Answer from Doodles -

Post by Doodles »

Canterbury Goldwin

thefiggis

Re: ID Challenge No.20. Jan 2020. Enter if you dare.

Post by thefiggis »

Yay, the first challenge with 100% agreement =))

Sorry that this proved to be one of the less appealing challenges but it was hoped to be an opportunity to hone up some coin-reading skills. Having a coin in good condition is easily read but it's horrors like this example that test you and force you to get your eye in. Any road up, here's an image with really bad graphics which shows the discernable letters on the coin:

Click to enlarge

combined.jpg

The red circle contains the initial mark and the moneyer's name reads clockwise immediately after that. The stop at 5 o'clock has an E before it, we can see a W at 2 o'clock so we're looking for a name ending in E with a W a bit before it. From the link supplied there are two which qualify - Goldwine and Lefwine and it's when you know what you're looking for that the missing letters fall into place. It's clearly Goldwine, but London or Canterbury?

This is where I bow to the superior knowledge of those above as to be honest I can't make the mint out at all. GOLDWINE.ON is as far as I get and maybe more gin is required to see the rest :)

EDIT: Subsequent information from Allectus is that all of these coins were minted in Canterbury and that those with LV or L are thought to be die errors. Thanks for that, A ::g

I'll make the next one more straightforward and less stomach-churning =))

Pip pip ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Return to “ID Challenge Archive”