Badge from river Thames

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
andiron

Badge from river Thames

Post by andiron » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Got my Thames river permit and after few searches must admit the place is full of junk, sometimes it feels like listening to Jazz when walking with metal detector, and as others mentioned, all the good items there have been already picked up so it's easier to find a mobile phone (found x3) then a coin (found 1p from 2017 and 2p from 1973 :) ).

Anyway, apart from the above, found this brass looking badge that appears quite interesting, it's very thin, wonder if it's something more interesting than a cheap "made in china" badge:

Front:

Back:

Allectus

Re: Badge from river Thames

Post by Allectus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:38 pm

A modern, pressed, strap/belt clasp.

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

targets

Post by targets » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:13 pm

40+ years of digs and searches have pretty much cleared it out ,altho you may find the odd item ..the days of finding pilgrim badges on the surface are long gone but you could find army badges
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

pengles

Post by pengles » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:48 pm

I worked on boats on the Thames for 18 yrs up until 2012 and with my interest in history was always vigilant. The 'mudlarks', on a low spring tide dug holes so deep you could just see the shovel coming up and down out of the top of the hole. They still find stuff, but the foreshore is so full of rubbish that in general you really have to dig deep for it. That's not to say that every now and then an 'eyes only' find doesn't turn up. I knew an American chap who came over every year to look for clay pipe bowls. The foreshore at Wapping is full of them, The trick is finding the really ornate ones. In my 'down' time I wandered the foreshore a lot. Oyster shells, maybe from Roman times, bits of dead coral that sailors had dropped having carried them from the other side of the world and so much more. The tide in Central London can run at 5 knots through the bridges, That equates to a really good scour of the foreshore twice a day.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”