Hello all from sunny Scotland

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Buster

Hello all from sunny Scotland

Post by Buster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

I have joined the forum with a view to having a go at this fascinating pastime, however, I know the square root of zero on the matters in hand and am hoping to get some timely and valuable information from all you well informed veterans.

I have spent some time mooching around the forum and have come across some princely advice WRT permissions etc. There are, however, still some parts I am unclear on, such as the rules for beaches/coastlines, this is quite important to me as I live on the clyde estuary.

I have read that a Crown Estates Permit is required but I have also read they are no longer issued... Can anyone clear this up for me?

I also live in a rural area and do know some of the local farmers so I think I'll be okay there.

Another question is the two federations(?) NCMD and FID to a novice(me) what is the benefit of belonging to one and which is best or should I join both?

Finally, as I haven't bought a detector yet, I am hoping to find advice on which is the best 'meet in the middle' device for using on farm/garden land and beaches.

Well, I should just say I am looking forward to getting myself a suitable detector and getting stuck right in.

Oh, and BTW anyone know of any clubs up in the west coast of Scotland, Glasgow/Dumbarton/Loch Lomond area?

Cheers for now
Buster

Timmy 64

Re: Hello all from sunny Scotland

Post by Timmy 64 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi from sunny Cornwall ::g

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Greetings from a Jock living in East Riding. ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi buster,
Welcome to the MDF ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Buster. Don't quote me on it, but I don't believe that a Crown Estates permit is required for most beaches in Scotland now.

https://www.crownestatescotland.com/wha ... -detecting

Things I would look out for however, are beaches owned by the National Trust, private beaches, and maybe even SSSI's:

https://www.nature.scot/professional-ad ... c-interest

In my humble opinion you can detect on most Scottish beaches, however please do some basic research before hitting the beach of your choice.

Good luck.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi Buster and welcome to the forum
Buster wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

I have read that a Crown Estates Permit is required but I have also read they are no longer issued... Can anyone clear this up for me?
A permit for Crown Estate beaches is no longer required. You just have to read their rules and abide by them. But, as already mentioned, there may be local bylaws or other restrictions so when you know exactly where you are considering going then put a post in the Beach and Rivers section to ask for local info.
Buster wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Another question is the two federations(?) NCMD and FID to a novice(me) what is the benefit of belonging to one and which is best or should I join both?
You only need to join one - they both offer public liability insurance within the £8 a year membership fee. This is essential to go to a rally or to be a club member and generally worth having. The NCMD is bigger and provides representation and lobbying for the hobby at Government level.

For your detector choice here’s a useful guide viewtopic.php?f=294&t=102937. The actual choice depends on your budget.

Happy hunting ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

Craigmiller

Post by Craigmiller » Sat May 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi also from sunny Scotland I have not done much beach detecting but have detected on local farms I live betwen Edinburgh ans Glasgow I half found lots of things good and rubbish every time you get a Beeb you get excited my first detector was a C.Scope great machine mi have been on fields that have been well detected but still made finds .happy hunting .

Spectre73

Post by Spectre73 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Buster.

I'm in Scotland also.

As for clubs etc there are a few uyou could look into online.

BTB (Beyond the beep) is a closed group and I'm not sure they are taking on new members at the moment.

Toddy's digs is an online group and holds digs most weeks

Also Detecting Scotland are up and running again.

Hope this helps

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”