Explorer XS custom work - Battery - Controller - Etc

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Explorer SE metal detector within this forum.
petershire

Explorer XS custom work - Battery - Controller - Etc

Post by petershire » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:49 am

Hi i am removing the battery pack from the explorer and using a small rechargeable alarm battery which will be worn on my waist belt to lose the weight on the arm and feed power by one little chord back to the detector frame.

ive also added a wireless transmitter and wireless headphones to the detector

Q:
Has anyone removed the information control box so that it can also be belt mounted also? im not too concerned about the wires as they can simply be protected all on one run etc

Q:
Has anyone used one of the new generation of ergonomic crutch ( yes walking aide ) as they only weight 450grams and adapted the bottom to take the coil? I ask as the crutches are £20-30 on the www
If i could find something strong plastic, adjustable and just as cheap i would utilise that instead

It sounds a lot to do but its not as i have a friend that does component level electrical works and hes happy to do all the wiring / testing etc

Why am i doing this instead of buying another detector? I like this machine and well money is tight and i cant justify spending lots on a hobby thats so difficult to go and do without local permissions, hence i have to keep paying for club digs and they arnt cheap days out

Any help with the above works if anyone already done it would be helpful to know if it all worked ok before i tear down the detector in a few weeks?

Thanks

beaubrummell

Re: Explorer XS custom work - Battery - Controller - Etc

Post by beaubrummell » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm

A small alarm battery to power a Minelab Explorer? Am I missing something?
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:10 pm

It's not a simple project. It doesn't come apart easily, so shaft mods are tricky. The AA battery is important for balance, being placed as it is. Remove it, and you have a very nose-heavy machine. You could viably build a custom battery pack from AAA size NiMH cells, they are available in 1000mAh capacity nowadays, close to the original spec 1100mAh AA's. That would reduce overall weight, but upset the balance.(fit the cells to the rear end of the machine)
It's worth considering reducing the weight of the lower shaft, some carbon fibre trickery may give worthwhile results.
Here's some discussion 'elsewhere' on the subject:
www dot dankowskidetectors dot com/discussions/read.php?2,35904

petershire

Post by petershire » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply and i got given an XP Deus as a prezzie from my other half so the XS has gone to another friend to sort out

GC-1023

Post by GC-1023 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:46 am

i have a Minelab Explorer SE that was proffesionally converted to s stem .i was told it was done to reduce weight for a elderly gent ,but some one forgot to weigh the components before undertaking project .. To say it was a major project is understatement . It now has a rectangular battery box under armrest containing 8AA's similar to Nexus and Golden Mask layout ,no on/off switch on battery box which i intend to add . I have also ordered all bits to convert to 3 18650 li-ion batteries which makes economical sense . . The coil plug socket was repositioned to one side of control box, the headphone socket to the other .
The coil cable runs on outside of shaft and at fully extended position is under slight tension stretching the cable coils .Presumably this happened unseen inside shaft but looks wrong having any tension on cable .
Never have been able to grasp how to add pictures on this forum or i would add some pics . its not a conversion i would undertake ,weight is 100grams heavier now but will correct that with li-ion conversion . ..
lot of work that would only be justifiable on a machine that someone had broken the original armrest on . ::g
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

petershire

Post by petershire » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Cheers bud but ive now sold it and gone for a much lighter full deus setup

Cheers all

Return to “Minelab Explorer Forum”