E-TRAC, Tadpole & Iron

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
Wigeon

E-TRAC, Tadpole & Iron

Post by Wigeon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Yesterday I was out with my E-Trac on agricultural land. Conditions were pretty ideal.
I have been using the minimal tadpole discrimination pattern with just line 35 plus the bottom right hand corner blocked out, conductive multi-tones, smooth response, Auto+3 or manual sensitivity 29 used.

I think I am pretty well sorted with the rusted iron that does not null but 'squeals' with a chopped off signal. However, yesterday I dug several pieces of rusted iron.

The common denominators seemed to be, that they had a hole in the middle ( big square nut), were circular or D shaped (chain link/harness fitment) or part of the article had as semi-circular aspect.

The signals were such that I suspected iron but they had a 'you had better dig me' tone too.
Numbers and positon on Smartfind Screen quite useless as jumped all over the place as usual.

My question is: Is this what one should expect from the E-Trac ? If not, then advice please.

I usually manage to avoid digging big, deep iron by circling the target and lifting the coil etc. as well as toggling between tadpole/clear screen.

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

stargazer

Re: E-TRAC, Tadpole & Iron

Post by stargazer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Yeh, I still dig the odd piece of iron rubbish. The shape of it does have a bearing I read some years back, as Minelab worked that into their machines.

Thankfully, we don't dig all the trash and with 'coke' none at all. ::g
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Its called the halo effect. The iron leaches into the soil and "fools" the machine, often resolved by taking out a spade of soil and re-scanning. The signal either improves or deteriorates. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 pm

stargazer wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Yeh, I still dig the odd piece of iron rubbish. The shape of it does have a bearing I read some years back, as Minelab worked that into their machines.

Thankfully, we don't dig all the trash and with 'coke' none at all. ::g
Certainly not having to dig coke is a real benefit. My pal has a Deus and has often called me over to check a signal that he suspects to be coke. If the E-Trac doesnt give a signal we know its coke.

Part of the enjoyment of our days out is checking one another's 'suspect signals. Apart from coke, we have been surprised at the consistency of both machines.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Its called the halo effect. The iron leaches into the soil and "fools" the machine, often resolved by taking out a spade of soil and re-scanning. The signal either improves or deteriorates. ::g
Thanks JC. The fields are mainly peat or peat mixture, so quite easy to scrape some off with my boot. It usually resolves matters one way or the other, particularly if I remove some with my spade.
There just seems to be something with the E-Trac and the 'round stuff' or 'hole in middle' pieces though. Albeit not yesterday but those square section, hand made nails can sound off too, particularly if they still have a sharpish point.

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Have you tried using 'Quickmask' to check such iffy signals ? I use Quickmask to screen CO.01 and then FE.29-35

I started off using conductive-multi-tone but have now switched to Ferrous-multi-tone because I can more easily ignore 'burping' than the repeated higher pitched 'alerts' I get in my highly trashed / near-farmyard-pasture permission. I now prefer searching in Relic mode and use long tones (without audio clipping)

I also have the Threshhold set to hear a quiet hum all the time, which of course nulls / goes silent over iron. Its silence is like an extra & clear tone, which as much as anything tells me to slow down that half-a-second until the machine recovers, as something interesting might be buried besides it. Case in hand was the G.III ha'penny I dug yesterday which was within inches of something with high ferrous.

I've found that if I have a very excited signal jumping about all over the place then it's a big lump something like a plough tip (..triangular to D shape), or the large bridle (though it might have been bridal) chain link, either of which is buried pretty deep. So your description pretty much matches my (very limited) experience with ET.

A weaker signal jumping +/- 5 tends to be screwed-up aluminium foil, or if in the FE:12 region then a cartridge ..which being near a working farm-yard I dig all too often, particularly those pesky .22's.

Recently I've been turning the power down / Sensitivity from Auto +3 to just Auto 0 ..and found that h'penny 10" down. I've just sent the machine off for repair but plan to try turning the Sensitivity down further for the pasture I'm searching.. I'm reasoning that too much power equates to too much signal bounce off trash.

Disclaimer : I am a newbie not only to the E-Trac but to detecting.

Bfg. ::g
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 am

Bfg. You may be new to detecting but you are clearly getting to grips with your E-Trac pdq.
All good stuff you have posted above. ::g
In high trash areas the machine may as well have its sensitivity turned down if it becomes unbalanced.
The unreliability of the Smartfind screen and FE/CO numbers was the most difficult thing to accept for me. Weaning myself off of dig/no dig decision, based on the screen was quite difficult but it has to be done or good targets will be missed.
I think I have managed to learn most of the 'tricks' in trying to resolve targets but find that some, particularly 'rounded, or with a hole, in just have to be dug. :-L

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”