CAN SHRED

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
Wigeon

CAN SHRED

Post by Wigeon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Had a couple of hours this afternoon on a very dry onion field headland on peat fen, with my E-TRAC.
I was running line 31 ferrous and line 2 conductive discrimination, with a clear screen in Quickmask.
Auto +3 or just Auto depending on ground with the manual sensitivity on 29, which it would not stand.

The headland was quite clean but I made some finds. However as I got closer to the fen drove, I picked up several signals that sounded good. I checked them from several directions to make sure.
I dug them all and they were all aluminium can shred or part of a scrunched up aluminium can.

I wonder whether any of our experienced E-TRAC users can offer any advice on how to identify can shred with this machine ? The signals just sounded soooooo good to me and several came up on line 12 too. rl;

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

stargazer

Re: CAN SHRED

Post by stargazer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Thick kitchen foil gives a good signal too. A damned pain. Still we don't have to dig 'coke' up.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm

personally I dig everything even if I am sure that it is junk. For a start you never know what it might be masking. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:50 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm
personally I dig everything even if I am sure that it is junk. For a start you never know what it might be masking. ::g
Dug another seven pieces this afternoon ! The signals are just too good to risk passing them by.
Looks like three drinks cans have been discarded from the drove got chopped up in the rotorvator and spread for thirty or so yards along the headland.
Still managed to winkle out a 18th/early 19th Century button from eight inches down amongst it. ::g
Also got a 1967 Elizabeth II penny from about three inches down. Signal nearly blew my ears out.
Another few years and the coin would not be identifiable. The fen peat, together with the agro-chemicals, is very harsh on copper coins. Pity it doesn't dissolve the can shred. ;;z
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

clint

Post by clint » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Yep...you have to dig it or leave some nice stuff behind for sure....
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”