E-Trac "Voltage Overload" Problem.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
agmcg81

E-Trac "Voltage Overload" Problem.

Post by agmcg81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you guys can help me out with a problem I had yesterday with my E-Trac.

I was out in the field when the E-Trac just powered down on it's own and displayed a message on the screen saying "voltage overload". I switched it on again only for this to happen again straight away. I took the battery pack out (the Minelab rechargable one) and put it back in as well as taking the coil off and making sure the connections were clean. I had to take the battery out and in about 5 times before it eventually started up again. I've asked my mates who use the E-Trac and none of them have had this problem before. After I got it working again it was fine for the rest of the day, just worried incase it happens again. Have you ever heard of this problem before or know how I can fix it?

Cheers,

Alan

Blackadder43

Re: E-Trac "Voltage Overload" Problem.

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I had the same problem, and it was put down to the actual rechargable pack..
What i was advised to do by Minelab Ireland was to clean the contacts on the battery pack, very very fine sandpaper or one of the washing up "green things" will do it.
Also check the battery springs inside the machine as over time they tend to squash themselves down a bit....

The best solution that solved my problem was to buy the empty battery pod and use rechargables in it.......
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

agmcg81

Post by agmcg81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Cheers for the info mate, I'll give that a try ::g

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:51 pm

After i changed to the empty battery pod and used rechargeables i never had the problem again...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:09 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:After i changed to the empty battery pod and used rechargeables i never had the problem again...
I have only had this problem when I changed over to rechargeables. I put it down to too much power in the batteries (too high a milliamp charge). The problem soon goes away on it's own.

I use Eneloops.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Bridex

Post by Bridex » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:09 pm

This became a problem with my E-T, and was getting more and more frequent. After contacting Minelab in Ireland the detector went back to them for testing etc., they traced the fault to separation of the two internal circuit boards. Once fixed the problem did not re-occur.
Changing battery packs made no difference to mine, the problem was the same with either 'pod'.
si in dubium effodere

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”