Disappearing / Reappearing Signals

Only for the discussion of the Minelab E-TRAC metal detecting within this forum.
Wigeon

Disappearing / Reappearing Signals

Post by Wigeon »

This relates to my recent experiences with the eTrac but my mate also experienced similar with his Deus on the same field.

The field is old pasture and absolutely sopping wet. As soon as a hole is dug the water seeps in.
We found a 'naily' area near the medieval church, which hopefully signifies occupation.
It is a big field with cleaner areas too. The disappearing/reappearing signals occur in both.

This is not the normal disappeared signal, where the target has been tossed a bit too far with the excavated soil, or on my boot or spade etc.

Today, this happened on numerous signals. I got a good signal, checked it 90 degrees, pinpointed with a wiggle, then put the spade in. Out with the clod, check with detector... nothing. Turn the clod over.... nothing. Check the clod with detector and carrot.... nothing. Check the hole...nothing. Put the clod back in the hole and tread down..... signal.

I tried all sorts but it soon became apparent that the first cut and easing of the spade sometimes caused the signal to disappear. But, on one or two instances there was a target deep in the clod that I found with the carrot once the clod was broken open. Mystery.

We have all experienced the 'normal' variety of disappeared signals but this is most unusual.
I was on my own today but last week my mate was with me in similar conditions and he had lots of disappeared signals with his Deus too.

I am wondering whether it is the exceptionally wet conditions that are generating a form of falsing/masking or similar? In these conditions even small targets really sing out at more than a spade depth. Reducing sensitivity didn't help either. Just to top it off I got everything completely plastered with mud. 8-| Oh for some dry weather.

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

geoff

Re: Disappearing / Reappearing Signals

Post by geoff »

What numbers were you getting on the trac?
Are you using the machine in fe or conduct tones?
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

It happens sometimes... can’t be explained
But it’s a rare thing don’t worry about it ::g

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

geoff wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:05 pm
Numbers all over the place as usual with eTrac but good tones. Using multi-conductive with tadpole.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 pm
It happens sometimes... can’t be explained
But it’s a rare thing don’t worry about it ::g
Good call ::g . That's about where I got to after much head scratching. h;@

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

I’ve know a coin fall back into the hole, go back over the hole and the machine won’t pick it up .
::g

ratty

Post by ratty »

I had the same problem on Sunday, i wiped the sludge off the spade and checked it but no find.
I did think it could be a target has rotted away totally leaving a mineral ball, digging breaks this up and the signal vanishes. A couple of times it was a tiny piece of non ferrous in the top inch , and as it was dug the target has turned on it's edge. All part of the fun.. :))

dondo

Post by dondo »

I've had the mystery of the disappearing signal many times over the years but a couple of weeks back i removed the clod of turf and the signal had disappeared and the pointer found nothing in the hole, i opened the hole up so i could get the whole coil in and found the signal again so dug on, it was to deep for the pointer and to deep for the detector without the clod, it turned out to be a large rusty washer at about 12".

Koala

Post by Koala »

sounds like a tiny tiny target in the grass roots

geoff

Post by geoff »

Wigeon wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:25 pm
geoff wrote:
Numbers all over the place as usual with eTrac but good tones. Using multi-conductive with tadpole.
Deep iron I'm thinking, try winding back your sensitivity a little on these spurious signals, see if they drop out, or lifting the coil up whilst using the minelab wiggle.
If you have a good target the etrac will hold between say 16 and 8 ish on the fe number, 12 being a good medium.
At the end of the day,I would walk away from unfindable signals after digging and using a pinpointer.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

geoff wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:11 pm
Wigeon wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:25 pm
geoff wrote:
Deep iron I'm thinking, try winding back your sensitivity a little on these spurious signals, see if they drop out, or lifting the coil up whilst using the minelab wiggle.
If you have a good target the etrac will hold between say 16 and 8 ish on the fe number, 12 being a good medium.
At the end of the day,I would walk away from unfindable signals after digging and using a pinpointer.
Thanks Geoff. Tried all those changes, even took sensitivity down to Auto -3. Big deep iron sounded off as usual when lifting the coil too.
After getting plastered in mud, I did eventually cherry-pick, out of sheer frustration.
I have used my eTrac a lot so know it pretty well.
Strangely, on this particular field, in normal conditions I can run the eTrac on around 28 on Auto +3.
Remains a mystery at present.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Koala wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Thanks Koala. I wondered about that too. I was thinking tiny pieces of foil perhaps, so I completely stripped out a couple of the smaller clods but still nothing. The carrot is a good piece of kit so I am as sure as I can be that nothing was there.

Koala

Post by Koala »

Wigeon wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:07 am
Koala wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Thanks Koala. I wondered about that too. I was thinking tiny pieces of foil perhaps, so I completely stripped out a couple of the smaller clods but still nothing. The carrot is a good piece of kit so I am as sure as I can be that nothing was there.
things like the low charge .22 cartridge cases from the Victorian shooting stalls can be a right pain to find.

A pin pointer has to almost touch if to register

Best way is to put the clod back. Pinpoint carefully. Take a small shallow clod out. Keep the grass towards the coil and keep halving it until its found.

Worth being persistent. Small gold stud earrings are only detectable to a couple of mm

geoff

Post by geoff »

I have had fun with small metal chaff before now, not to mention shotgun pellets, birdshot is too small to register, but if you get shot from a 4,5 or maybe even six cartridge it can drive you mad .

Return to “Minelab E-TRAC Forum”