Garrett pro pointer detection depth

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
toby3612

Garrett pro pointer detection depth

Post by toby3612 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi
Just wondering, what depth can the pro-pointer detect say a normal coin in soil? How does it compare to a full size detector?
Cheers!

ray77

Re: Garrett pro pointer detection depth

Post by ray77 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 pm

Having started detecting before pinpointers were common it`s very rare I use mine. I only use it once the target is out of the hole if it`s something small I can`t see. So it only needs to detect at about 1"-2"

Ray
Whites VX3
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Whites Coinmaster
Whites Bullseye II probe
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:51 pm

For the original ProPointer:

"A few examples of maximum range:
2mm shotgun pellet = undetectable
0.22 airgun pellet = 5mm
medieval cut farthing = 17mm
modern 1p (bronze) = 40mm
cupro-nickel 2 shillings = 67mm
fridge door = 200mm+"

Taken from:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=41655

Don't forget the 'coin on the side' trick, which certainly works on the ProPointer, you can get +50% more depth with care. I expect it will work on other models with the same circuit operation, I'm not sure about PI pointers.
Last edited by Fusion on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:(

KittyHawk

Post by KittyHawk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Once you know your machine you can get a feel for whether something is on or near the surface, so I always use my pin-pointer first in these cases, to save me digging a hole at all :)

Also, sometimes when digging a hole you do it slightly off target meaning the item can be stuck in the side of the hole and you're going straight past it...so useful to check before going too deep ^^

The pointer isn't necessary, just helpful in correcting user interpretations and speeding up recovery....and the more targets you can dig and recover, the more chance of it being something interesting :D

Wouldn't recommend using a pointer on its own, or instead of a detector, but having said that, its much smaller and easier to sneak into a bag if off to the beach for the day with non detecting friends and family....you never know!
Garret 250 & Pro-pointer

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u397/Cole_Karen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arfajob011

Post by arfajob011 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:16 pm

I am very new to detecting myself, so here is what I've found.

1) low and slow, the experienced guys I've hunted with go at a pace, meander and have no real idea of what they've covered. Ive found coins 8" deep covering the same ground they've said they've been over.

2) always, always use a pointer once you've discovered something and dug it up; use it again in a hole, Ive found coins after ive found a button.

3) know your machine. listen to it, remember those signals, even when it sings and you dig ring pulls, (and you've gotta dig em). And then check the hole again with a pointer, and then finally with your machine before filling in and moving off.

4) but in ansa to your question, no idea..2 maybe 3 "

AJ

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:21 am

Depth depends on size of target. The inch or so on most targets is adequate for the job of pinpointing.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:47 am

It sounds to me that the original poster maybe wanting a pinpointer to be used as maybe a surface or shallow find metal detector in its own right and not just to locate already dug signals, it would be good if the original poster could let us know ::g

The question does however quite often get asked when someone is thinking about purchasing a pinpointer for the first time, " How much depth can it achieve " basically comparing to a normal metal detector and thinking depth is very important.

As already mentioned increasing the power / sensitivity when trying to locate those already dug small targets just defeats the object of what a pinpointer is all about and will often make it more difficult to find them.
Cheers all
mrix

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”