Curse of the Garrett Pro-Pointer strikes again

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
Ravenrook

Re: Curse of the Garrett Pro-Pointer strikes again

Post by Ravenrook » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 pm

leslie(nova scotia) wrote:Lord love a duck. Personally I think they are a waste of money and promote laziness in the hobby....something like paper toweling.....who needs it!

Good point and I kind of agree. Although, my detecting time is very limited and precious and using a Pinpointer certainly speeds up recovery times.
Have you ever tried one? thing is, they are like mobile phones - once you have one - you can't live without!

Raven ::g

MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:14 pm

As the post was about Garret pinpoints ,i would have thought people wanting to change from Garret as many seem to want to do would have been interested in an unbiased opinion on the Nokta vs the Garret as i found it
Hello, as you stated the topic was about the Garrett Pinpointer and it was not about the OP asking to change pinpointer, we have countless topics where members ask questions about certain brands and have replies like, your better off getting a Minelab or better of buying a Garrett, etc etc, these are off topic replies and are not really in keeping to maintain a good resource.
Many of the pointers on the market at the moment are very good, I have even done video reviews myself on them but this is not the topic / forum to discuss them, if you would like to create your own topic within the Nokta forum here then please do so ::g
Cheers
mrix

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

I was getting fed up with mine again today then whacked in a new battery and it was like new .. Anyone else noticed this?
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

IJammer

Post by IJammer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi... I have had a Garrett Pro-Pointer for about a year. I did have some issues with it ghosting when I purchased a slip on sheth to protect it. Being a very sensitive RF device you have to appreciate the capacitive affect that can play havoc with the pointers RF signal... if you use a protective sheth or wrap tape round the pointer thinking that you are protecting it from the elements or get a build up of mud on the tip... then moisture/water can get between the pointer and the sheth or tape wrappings causing all sorts of weird ghosting/bouncing signals. RF is tricky stuff... being a radio ham I have fought a running battle with it for most of my life LOL &*(

The trick is NOT to get any wet stuff under tape wrappings or a protective sheth... I did have to remove the pointer innards once after getting caught in a down-pour where water managed to get inside the pointer (i.e. under the sheth and in via the button push) causing it not to function correctly. After removing the two small screws under the cap I removed the small pcb and coil (don't forget to hold the button down when extracing the innards), drying everthing with a tissue, then putting it back (locate the two pcb rails) nice and dry... it then started to work a treat again. ::g

I must admit I don't always use it though... I have regressed lately to using the back of the detector coil and sub-dividing the clod in a process of elimination the 'old school way' :)
Dave
XP Deus, Garrett Pointer, NCMD, 4x4, boots & beer :)
Pastfinders MDC

foundit

Post by foundit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Had my pro pointer for three years, out at least two days a week in winter and up to four days in summer and not had an issue with it, great piece of kit, does the job its meant to....finds the target in the hole..simples.

Alan
minelab safari
garrett euro ace
garrett pro pointer

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers

murkey

Post by murkey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 pm

My Garrett PP is fine, when it does play up a bit it's normally a draining battery, oh don't buy pound shop batteries as they play the garrett's up, the cheap Zinc based PP3's..

Regarding keeping threads on topic, it might be good to have a thread where you can say what you like and it's free of moderation, I'm on a watch forum with this facility and it works very well with open and honest debate, it does get colourful but with self moderation it really works ::g
XP DEUS - SOV GT-XS

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:00 am

murkey wrote:My Garrett PP is fine, when it does play up a bit it's normally a draining battery, oh don't buy pound shop batteries as they play the garrett's up, the cheap Zinc based PP3's..

Regarding keeping threads on topic, it might be good to have a thread where you can say what you like and it's free of moderation, I'm on a watch forum with this facility and it works very well with open and honest debate, it does get colourful but with self moderation it really works ::g
Good point Murkey.
As we are already 'tied into' MDF with our personal emails, anyone who 'trolled' or caused serious offence could be removed anyways (and located if necessary).

EDIT: having wrote that; I think people on here are likely to be responsible enough as it's a very decent forum!

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:42 pm

murkey wrote:My Garrett PP is fine, when it does play up a bit it's normally a draining battery, oh don't buy pound shop batteries as they play the garrett's up, the cheap Zinc based PP3's..

I can say with some confidence this will never happen on this forum, due to various reasons.

This below is a general observation and not aimed at anyone in particular:
I also have to say that some of you are taking mrix's comments way too much too heart.
He has worked hard to get this forum where it is today and keep it free.
He prides himself on the fact he has created a very useful and informative forum that when you do a detecting search it often puts something from here near the top in all the major search engines.
This is in part due to the way he likes to keep the threads going and on topic, and also having all the sub groups organised to keep relevant info in the correct place.
Its the way it is and i think some of you might need to just drop the bone and move on.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:

I can say with some confidence this will never happen on this forum, due to various reasons.

This below is a general observation and not aimed at anyone in particular:
I also have to say that some of you are taking mrix's comments way too much too heart.
He has worked hard to get this forum where it is today and keep it free.
He prides himself on the fact he has created a very useful and informative forum that when you do a detecting search it often puts something from here near the top in all the major search engines.
This is in part due to the way he likes to keep the threads going and on topic, and also having all the sub groups organised to keep relevant info in the correct place.
Its the way it is and i think some of you might need to just drop the bone and move on.
Hear hear ! If it ain't broke don't fix it, and this forum ain't broke. ::g
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi all
I've had some thoughts about this.
I have had a couple of issues with mine falseing, I put this down to low battery power, changing it and seemed to cure it, although it has been intermittent since! repacked the battery to make a better fit, slightly less troublesome, if dirty or wet it seems to be worse, when clean or dry, no problems.

Is this falseing mineralised soil or the very wet weather, enough to set it off falseing?

In home & clean environment when switched on, holding a new penny moving from battery end towards business end (sliding it up against the pointer) mine sounds when I reach the start of the on/off button, keeping penny where it is and switching on has the effect of making it less sensitive, carried this out a few penny movements at a time while switching on and at the second "R" in Garrett (obscuring it with the penny) it would not pick up the penny at all anywhere on the business end.

Then I twigged!! My jacket has a metal stud on the sleeve to fasten a tightening strap, is this the cause, I will know next time I go out to try it.

if the pointer is sensitive close to the on/off button is it picking up perhaps a finger ring, watch or bracelet worn by the user, or even a metal popper on a sleeve or piece of clothing that may be close enough to be picked up, .....maybe this is the cause, not saying people have not removed the metal items that could cause falseing (watch, ring, bracelet etc.etc) but worth a check with the PP on the hand arm area of each arm to see if it picks anything up, especially before sending back, or if out of warranty pulling it to bits to fix it.

Regards Steve

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:11 pm

"keeping penny where it is and switching on has the effect of making it less sensitive, carried this out a few penny movements at a time while switching on and at the second "R" in Garrett (obscuring it with the penny) it would not pick up the penny at all anywhere on the business end."

This is what it's supposed to do, as described in the manual. It self-calibrates at turn-on. If there's metal near, it self-cals with the metal near. There's some point where you've moved the metal so close, you can't move it any closer after self-cal, so it goes undetected.
And the 'business end' is a rod of magnetic material, with a coil of wire wound on it. It's sensitive at both ends (ie. the probe tip, and 20mm in front of the on/off button), and slightly less so along all it's length. So, yes it will potentially pick up things from the 'battery end'.
:(

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi fusion
I was aware of this, not sure if everyone is? Should have included in my post that this was normal ::g

Regards Steve

Tinopener

Post by Tinopener » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:40 am

Been reading these posts with intrest as I am thinking of buying the new Garrett probe (carrot) as any one had any problems with the carrot.....Gary ::g
Last edited by Tinopener on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary_Graham

Post by Gary_Graham » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:57 am

My wife bought me one for Christmas and I love it. I had two original Garrett pro pointers both of which never failed.
I've used it every weekend and it's been well christened in mud, even with the speaker slots full of mud you can still hear it. A brilliant bit of kit.

Gary
Ctx3030, 6",11" and 17" coils.
Garrett AT Pro, std DD, 9x12 concentric, 4.5 super sniper, 12x13 Tornado.
Evo Pro scoop, Garrett carrot.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Tinopener wrote:Been reading these posts with intrest as I am thinking of buy the new Garrett probe (carrot) as any one had any problems with the carrot.....Gary ::g
I have an original black one from new, about 5 years old, never given me any trouble, if you bang it will give off a signal. I upgraded to the carrot about 6 months ago, doesn't false at all when banged and slightly better depth on it, kept the black one as a spare so happy with both. From all the posts I have seen about faults on the black one, seems that people either get a good one or a bad one. For info I run on rechargeable PP3's and get about 3 months per charge.

Re looking after them, I did run the black one with tape over the speaker and periodically leave them with the end off to dry out on a radiator, just in case any moisture has got inside, and replace the little bit of rubber that keeps the battery tight as needed.

Dave &*(

Tinopener

Post by Tinopener » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:07 am

Dave8472 wrote:
Tinopener wrote:Been reading these posts with intrest as I am thinking of buy the new Garrett probe (carrot) as any one had any problems with the carrot.....Gary ::g
I have an original black one from new, about 5 years old, never given me any trouble, if you bang it will give off a signal. I upgraded to the carrot about 6 months ago, doesn't false at all when banged and slightly better depth on it, kept the black one as a spare so happy with both. From all the posts I have seen about faults on the black one, seems that people either get a good one or a bad one. For info I run on rechargeable PP3's and get about 3 months per charge.

Re looking after them, I did run the black one with tape over the speaker and periodically leave them with the end off to dry out on a radiator, just in case any moisture has got inside, and replace the little bit of rubber that keeps the battery tight as needed.

Dave &*(
cheers Dave I think I will be investing in one ...Gary

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”