Gaining more Depth with your pin pointer

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
JohnnyDeep

Gaining more Depth with your pin pointer

Post by JohnnyDeep » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:02 am

Gaining more depth with your pin pointer does seem possible, I have just tried this little test (See Link Below) and you do gain more depth even with my bounty Hunter Pin Pointer nearly double. But my question is do you think it will cause any long term damage to the probe ? I don't mind smoking the Bounty Hunter as it didn't perform well at a recent rally, when a fellow detectorist see me having trouble he lent me he's Garrett Pro Pointer which located the position of my Vicky Penny immediately. Because Of this I have just decided to purchase one as It really did save me a lot of time and I understandably don't want to harm this essential piece of kit ! :-O
Do any of you already use this tip to tweak your pin pointer without any adverse affects ?

Have T2 will travel B-)

Have T2 will travel.

hammyman

Re: Gaining more Depth with your pin pointer

Post by hammyman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 am

Somebody showed me this a while ago.Personally I cant see the point of it :-/ I am more than happy with 2" of depth. :) I know exactly where to dig when it bleeps and nine times out of ten the target is in that clod.
I think 4"of depth makes it a lot more hit and miss
Just my 2ps worth :)
http://www.minddisorders.com/Del-Fi/Denial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lions lead by donkeys
GRAMMAR: The difference between knowing your s**t and knowing you're s**t.

JohnnyDeep

Post by JohnnyDeep » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 am

I definitely agree two inches is normally enough Hammy, but on a few occasions I thought I had a Mole with a metal hip as the target kept moving ;-) Even though I did a 360 target pin pointing on my T2 I was out by more than two inches not sure if there’s a name for this phenomenon !
But if that penny had been further than two inches into the wall of the hole I dug I would be half way to Aus… by now… :))

By the way your opinon has got to be worth more than 2p by now surely :-O

Have T2 will travel B-)
Have T2 will travel.

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 am

Think it was me that brought the link up a while ago......but you dont really need it with the Garrett pro pointer..... I had an old Merlin B4 and it did improve that a little cos it did'nt pick up the Tid untill you were on top of it........ :)
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 am

I'm not sure what it is about the old pennys, but if they are at an angle in the ground they will often pinpoint a few inches away....
Maybe the angle of the flat large suface deflects the signal off a bit....
I dont think its necessary to increase the pinpointers depth......Just my opinion....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 am

Your right about the Mole sindrome Johnny, Had that myself on a few occasions,, very strange.. :-/ :-/
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

JohnnyDeep

Post by JohnnyDeep » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:I'm not sure what it is about the old pennys, but if they are at an angle in the ground they will often pinpoint a few inches away....
Maybe the angle of the flat large suface deflects the signal off a bit....
I dont think its necessary to increase the pinpointers depth......Just my opinion....
That makes sense actually, now I come to think of it, she was up right slighty tilted to the right away from where the pin point said... Science you gotta love it, good call blackadder =D>

Kmarsh, Blackadders explaintion does make sense, but you do feel a plum when the hole becomes a trench 8-}

Have T2 will travel. B-)
Have T2 will travel.

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”