Garrett AT Pro - whats this vent ?

Only topics related to the Garrett AT Pro metal detector here.
ju.mobile

Garrett AT Pro - whats this vent ?

Post by ju.mobile » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi,

Swapped out my MR2 for a pre-loved AT Pro, whilst giving it a once over with a baby wipe and a toothbrush to clean all the crevices of the previous owners adventures. I spotted these vents on the back. Is that set of slots on the back for a speaker or summat ?
AT-PRO-VENT.jpg
Would be interested how people run it on a day to day perspective and particularly the Iron Disc !

Kind Regards

Ju
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldartefact

Re: Garrett AT Pro - whats this vent ?

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 pm

If you run it without the phones connected the beeps come out of the slots on the back ... I think ... that said not sure how it stands up to being waterproof???? OooO OooO OooO
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

deepdigdave

Post by deepdigdave » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi Ju, I find that the most successful every day setting is to set the machine to PRO ZERO with no discrimination and ground balance using the button on the lower far right, pumping the coil whilst holding the button down.
If you find this too noisy with a lot of low iron signals then set discrimination to about 35 and when you get a good high tone check for iron using the iron audio button.
Some people start off by using the STANDARD MODE but this resembles the Ace 250 response which is less accurate.
Using the COIN mode simply introduces discrimination at 35 , I never bother with notching out on the NOTCH DISC button in case I lose response for thin silver items etc.
Pinpointing is very accurate with the AT pro without using the pinpoint button with the standard coil fitted, just wave the coil in two directions vertically and horizontally, you wont be far out with practice.
Best of luck - enjoy - its a great machine
Dave

ju.mobile

Post by ju.mobile » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 am

Confused me a little why a waterproof machine would have vents. I guess the speaker must be a waterproof sealed unit and isolated from the inner workings of the control box then. x;

Many thanks for the details on settings and use, I'll give that a try. After watching some of YouTube Vid's I had planned to look at custom and was just working out the Iron Discrim scale (high numbers in comparison to the MR2 and DEUS). Unfortunately, my garden is way to trashy to practice on.

::g

Kind Regards

Ju

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

I use pretty much the same as deepdigdave. Pro Zero mode, disc to 35, iron audio off. I turn on the iron audio just as a check on an uncertain signal.
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 pm

The vent you refer to is the speaker and is sealed ( but very lightly sealed) DONT BRUSH IT WITH A TOOTHBRUSH OR ANYTHING ELSE. Actually DONT TOUCH IT AT ALL is my advice. Just leave it alone or your waterproof Atp will no be Waterproof.

Drop the discrimination to around 25/27 as numbers vary depending on the orientation and depth. A coin will not give the same number at 5" as it will at 8 or 9" also depends on the orientation( the way the coin is lying, flat or on an angle.

Pro mode, disc 25/ 27, sensitivity max or are close as possible. Iron off and only use to check iffy signals or tones. Really nice machine,

My choice,
Zero discrimination, if you can, that way you hear everything and you can decide what to dig depending on the tone. I suggest as a new owner/user to disc at 25/27 and as you get to know your Atp then go open screen. Only change needed is the headphones socket in the future. Enjoy !!!
Last edited by At Digger on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ju.mobile

Post by ju.mobile » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 am

Thank you everyone, some great info and I'll take note of the responses on the vent. As the unit is used I might replace that panel and the battery door for peace of mind.

One other thing that I have read in a US forum (UK based myself) was the same advice here to use zero discrim and use the IA to validate when required. However, it was mentioned that after GB to drop the value manually by 5 points to clean up iffy signals. (it actually stated to drop it by 5 to look for small silver items and to increase it by 5 for gold) :-/ Anyone tried this aspect with any proven results ?

Looks like the Deus may be taking a back seat for a while :-O !!

Kind Regards

Ju

digcodd

Post by digcodd » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:35 pm

The speaker is not very loud at all anyway.

Return to “Garrett AT Pro Forum”