First time out with the Garret Ace 150

Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
JupeyWoopey

First time out with the Garret Ace 150

Post by JupeyWoopey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 pm

HI everyone,

I managed to get myself down to the local beach (Bournemouth) for my first ever try at this detecting malarkey. I gotta say I had an absolute ball. I could only stay for 1.5hrs as I had the Mrs and 8mth old baby in tow. They went for a nice walk while I set about testing my machine out. My first find....a girt Iron nail about 3 inches in length, ha ha. Strangely I wasn't disappointed :) It felt great to actually hear the beep and locate the target, although it did take me a while to find it considering the size of the bloody thing. By the end of my time on the beach i had sped up a great deal with locating even the smallest of targets. I don't have a pin pointer yet (christmas is coming) so i'm glad i improved on that front. While I didn't find anything of real interest my total find were : 4 Nails, 5 beer bottle tops, about 12 pieces of foil B| , 2 beer cans, a button and a 2 pence piece. Lol. I dug every target I could find as i saw it as good practice regardless of what i might find. I had the ace set in all metal mode, on the wet sand I dropped the sensitivity down 1 but on dry i had it at full. I think next time I head out I'll try and make a full day of it. All in all a great first experience and I cant wait to get out again.
On a separate note I have managed to get myself my first permission on some land used for grazing horses (about 5acres in total) so I'm super chuffed and can't wait to try field detecting. After doing some research on the area it appears there was an old smuggling path/trail that runs through the fields so you never know...watch this space. :D

tigtog

Re: First time out with the Garret Ace 150

Post by tigtog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 pm

enjoy great hobby, I started with the 150 had some great fun with it.
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

1r0nMAN

Post by 1r0nMAN » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 pm

A field would be great for the 150 ::g , i have just today said goodbye to my ace 150 , it has served me well for 2 years , mainly on beach i have had hundreds of coins , bullets , and fishing weights, loads of junk , but loads of practice .. ive gone over my only permssion field. A pasture , with the 150 , best finds are a coronation medal of Edward and Alex, my first Bunhead, and a george the 2nd, and 3 silver sixpenses , good luck , and keep up the enthusiasm , its a good reminder of when i started <:-P
Garrett A.T PRO International,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Roughneck spade ,
Garret Lan Headphones

mace247

Post by mace247 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi Jupey, i bought an ACE and was hooked, found lots of junk and a few coins but then asked a local farmer (well got the wife to ask - she's prettier) and now have a good 50 acre field. Updated to an AT Pro and have already got some hammered coins, sword buckle and a whole host oc buttons... happy hunting, look forward to seeing your finds
New XP Deus V3
Garrett AT Pro
Tornado coil
Pinpointer
Eternal optimism and ever growing collection of buttons

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:12 am

A very enthusiastic start there mate and the 'dig all' routine for starters is definitely no bad thing!
Seems you had a great family day. Wishing you well for the future ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Historyman

Post by Historyman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 am

Welcome to the forum and good hunting.
Garrett ACE 250
An intelligent man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:26 pm

keep digging fella find a gold ring machine paid for then upgrade to a better model simple ::g

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi jupey,

Good to hear you had such a good 1st outing.

You may have found only junk but at least you were finding stuff, it's all a learning curve and you will choose not to dig so much junk once you get used to the different sounds. ::g
I have been detecting for around 6 months and still dig lots of ring pulls and bottle tops just in case I miss something.

Good luck Tony

Mucky

Post by Mucky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Well done on your finds Jupey!
I started with the 150 too, then I bought a Euroace and now using the AT pro.
I'll tell you what though, there's nothing wrong with the 150, I found a cut quarter hammered coin with mine in pasture!
All the best, and good luck. ::g

smudge.g

Post by smudge.g » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:01 am

Good luck with your 150. I have had mine since the summer (also a newbie) and have been very impressed so far (found coins, buckles, my first hammered silver (Eddy1) 6 inches deep, and a cannonball in my garden!! etc). Would like to get a bit more depth as am sure there's more around our gardens/fields but an upgrade will come eventually. it does tend to fault sometimes but i leave mine in 'all metal' and ignore the grunts - that's how i found my hammered!
happy hunting.
As the Germans 'might' say:-

"SchvinginbleepindigginundFindenstuff!!!"

new XP Deus/11in coil: 1 silver sixpence 1 foot down!! most impressive.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Jupey and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you had a good time, sometimes you will get a day down Bournemouth beach like this and others where you will find more . Wait till you get your 1st £1 coin :) . Had a couple of days in the summer where I found absolutely nothing, then on the next couple of visits found between £2 and £3 pound, so addictive and relaxing.
Are you by any chance Steve Jupe, ex southern Binders ?
Good Luck ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

slick63

Post by slick63 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Nice one JW, I`ve had a 150 for quite a while now and it`s a cracking machine, so simple to use. I still dig loads of junk but that`s all part of the game. On a good piece of ground I`ve found some good stuff which has been down nearly 18 inches. Glad you enjoyed your time on the beach ::g
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Pro Pointer

JupeyWoopey

Post by JupeyWoopey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks all. Yes Dave. It is :) That is me, I am him, but who are you? lol :-/

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”