Garrett ACE 150 Signal Tones

Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
uklad

Garrett ACE 150 Signal Tones

Post by uklad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:15 pm

hi after using my machine alot more i think am starting to get used to the sounds alot and think now its time to search in the all metal mode and discriminate from them i noticed that there are 3 sounds that the garrett ace gives off

1- a low tone sound for iron

2-a mid tone witch my medieval buckle gave off

3-and a bell tone for coins old buttons and other good items

uklad

Re: Garrett ACE 150 Signal Tones

Post by uklad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 pm

my question for all u other garrett ace 150 users is after bench testing all my finds and sorting them into 3 piles for the 3 tones it gives off when out detecting should i just ignor all the low tones and just dig the mid tone and bell tone signals :-/
Garrett at pro international
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 pm

That is standard practice for most machines mate....
All metal and ignore the definate iron grunts, dig the rest...
Good luck mate
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

uklad

Post by uklad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 pm

thanks alot for ur reply m8 im slowly learning bit more every day...im going out detcting tomoz so will put it into practice:)
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 pm

If the machine becomes noisy and unstable take the sensitivity down a tickle....no point exploding your brain just yet ;-)
All metal mode is noisy, you will be shocked at the amount of signals (mainly iron) you will now hear....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

uklad

Post by uklad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:58 pm

cheers m8 all ur tips are much appreciated:) im going to detect round the out side of some woods for the first time so i will post any finds up tomoz
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

echo

Post by echo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:59 am

Ignore all the iron tone and dig the rest mate. (Only take notice of the iron if you are somewhere where relics could be and you want iron objects).
ACE 150 and big dreams
CS4PI (Mod'd)
E-Trac
Pro-pointer
Sunspot Stealth 6.5

uklad

Post by uklad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am

echo wrote:Ignore all the iron tone and dig the rest mate. (Only take notice of the iron if you are somewhere where relics could be and you want iron objects).
thanks alot echo m8 im not to keen on the iron finds after all mine are well rusted up so think i will just ignor them from now on then
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

Dave15

Post by Dave15 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:15 am

You will also find that in all metal the Ace series have a much faster response, it allows you to find good targets nearer to iron than you can in discriminate modes. The reason it is faster is when you have any target notched out (mainly iron) and you pass the coil over that type of metal the detector "blanks out" and recovers a split second later... While this is how it's intended to work, the down side is the length of time it blanks, which isn't user adjustable on the Ace detectors.

Try an experiment, place a small nail and a small copper or silver coin 3 or 4 inches apart and sweep the coil from the nail over the coin. You will be surprised how far apart the targets need to be in "coins" mode compared to "all metal" in order to detect the coin. Note do not use the later magnetic 1p coins for this test. You can try this test indoors with the coin and nail on a plank of wood (or whatever you have to hand) laid across a couple of chairs.

Using modes such as "coins" is fine if you want to quickly sweep an area and don't want to mess around digging too much unwanted stuff. Looking for £1 coins on a car boot field for instance, is where you might use such a mode.

As others said, "all metal" can be a bit of an ear full... Fortunately the Ace allows you to switch modes very easily and quickly, when I had an Ace 250 I often swapped modes depending on the junk level in the field at the time.

Dave
East Yorks
Minelab Safari
XP Goldmaxx Power with WS3 phones

uklad

Post by uklad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:28 pm

hi dave thank u so much for all ur info i will be sure to put it to the test tomoz in my garden with a wooden sheet.. i went out today and left the machine in all metal mode i got alot of signals and it can do ur head in after a while like u say but i just ignored all the low tones and dug any medium ding sounds or loud bell tones i found around 7 coins small button and small buckle but also still dug alot junk up ring pulls bottle tops ect witch is a pain cos they give off the same bell tone sound as what coins come under i guess the more i go out and use my garrett the better i will become with it thanks again for ur reply
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 pm

good advice there ....lead is a different kettle of fish ...i dont know of any machine that you can blank that out lol :)
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

uklad

Post by uklad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 am

im slowly getting there m8 thanks to every one on this gr8 forum for all the advice u just dnt no how much u av all helped me out so far with tips for this amazing hobby:)
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

Dave15

Post by Dave15 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:23 am

While it's generally safe to ignore iron, unless you really want to dig everything on a good site... However, beware of ignoring ring pulls as their discrimination ID looks the same as hammered silver coins and some rings.

Lead targets can be interesting, items such as musket balls and spindle whorls are lead and fairly common.

Dave
East Yorks
Minelab Safari
XP Goldmaxx Power with WS3 phones

uklad

Post by uklad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:19 pm

hi dave thanks for ur post yes ur right and i alway dig the ring pulls as on the garrett ace 150 machine it comes under the same as rings and gold so well worth the dig:) i would like to still find musket balls and spindle whorls still at the min am in alot of trashy area's tho and it can get tiring digging every thing lol soon as i get some permisson i and get some farmland i will set my machine to all metal and dig all tagets to be on the safe side
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade

A Quatermain

Post by A Quatermain » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:That is standard practice for most machines mate....
All metal and ignore the definate iron grunts, dig the rest...
Good luck mate
I would have to agree with BA here,my son uses a 150 and says iron is very easy to discriminate,however he is of the belief that all that glitters isn't gold so he does dig some iron.As for other signals it can be easy to miss good targets so it's probably best to dig everything.I know it's alot of digging but such is the way with the Ace 150 and many other machines.He has also informed me that a certain bit of narrowing down can be done by gauging the size of the target aswell,once you have got the hang of the 150 you can tell more or less if the target is big or small by making note of when the tone sounds and stops in relation to were the coil is.Hope this helps but it is a trial and error thing.
The past is behind us the future is to come but now is a gift thats why its called the present.

Bikerboyzx6r

Post by Bikerboyzx6r » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:33 pm

My roman coin finds came in at the 5c symbol and so did the cut hammered... I would only butch out the first 2 bars!
HH! Dan
XP Deus v3.2 - 11" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Black Ada Invader

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”