Help my detector is broke!

Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
magnetandsteeke

Help my detector is broke!

Post by magnetandsteeke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi all

My Garret 150 will no longer turn on. I left it with the batteries in for many months (which I have discovered since the user manual states not to do).

I think it has some how fried the electronics in the box. I don't think I will get it working again, is it possible to buy detectors minus the coil which should be working perfectly?

mrix
Founder

Re: HELP MY DETECTOR IS BROKE!

Post by mrix » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Its not a good idea to leave batteries in any device for long periods of time, what are the battery contacts like ? are they corroded ? have you tried cleaning them ?
Hopefully we can get some helpful replies to help get it going again ::g
mrix

oldartefact

Re: Help my detector is broke!

Post by oldartefact » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 pm

How old is it?
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 pm

There is a fair chance that is is "fur" on the battery terminals (usually Green, but can be white, blue or black). Get some WD40 or similar spray it on some kitchen towel and rub it on the battery terminals. Try not to spray as it may get inside the case and affect the display.
Leave that to do its job overnight, and hopefully you will be back in business- if it is worse, you may have to scrape off with a gentle fine abrasive like those scouring pad things you use in the kitchen.
If it is really bad- it can spread to the circuit board inside.
That is the reason to remove tha batteries if not in use. Hopefully you will find it is only on the battery terminals.

magnetandsteeke

Post by magnetandsteeke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Its a few years old but in good condition. The battery contact appear fine and not corroded. When its turned on the box rings very slightly (like the sound of power if that make sense).

Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm

You can't always see the corrosion- also make sure your new batteries are 100%- there could even be crud on the batteries themselves

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

The extent of any resulting battery leakage needs to be established in the first instance. If the damage is restricted to the batteries, battery pod or (if applicable to the Garrett 150) then they can be replaced very simply by DIY action.

If the leakage has contaminated the PCB - (circuit board), then there's the possibility that the damage may be terminal. It all depends upon the extent of damage caused, coupled with your willingness or otherwise to inspect the internals to make an assessment. As it's quite an old machine there's nothing to lose by opening it up for a 'look-see'.

With regard to your 'old coil', if the 150 model features a changeable coil, it can be sold together with the defective machine as 'for spares or repair'. I doubt if a dealer would offer anything by way of part exchange - but there's no harm in asking. Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Leaving the batteries in for a long period is a bad idea but unlikely to result in having "fried the electronics in the box" unless there is very serious and obvious leakage.

As others have said the problem is more likely to be with the contacts, even if not obvious, clean them as suggested above and its likely that you will be back in business.
If not double check the batteries you are using in another bit of equipment. I have know "new" batteries to be at fault.

In the worse case the Ace 150 coil can be used with any of the Ace series (150 / 250 / 300 / 400 / Euroace).

Evan

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”