Ace on the Beach!!!!!

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
NoodleStu

Ace on the Beach!!!!!

Post by NoodleStu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi all.

I have a Garrett 250 Ace and only do land but we are going on holiday at the end of May and husband wants to take the detector.
Iv emailed the county council and they have sent me a list of the beaches they own that we are allowed on.
Is there any specific settings we should have the 250 on or will we be wasting our time taking this detector on a beach as it will only show ghost readings??
Thank u in advance for any info on beach detecting
:D

Saffron

Re: Ace on the Beach!!!!!

Post by Saffron » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 pm

It will work fine on the dry sand at the top of the beach, with your normal settings (I always used all metal)

They are not so good on the wet sand. I used one on beaches in the south west (Bristol Channel) where the beaches are "fairly detector friendly" and by reducing the sensitivity it was OK but would give some false signals when over "black sand". But I know in some areas where the beaches are more mineralised they frequently false even with the sensitivity reduced.

Give it a try and if you struggle on the wet sand just stick to the top of the beach.

As new to beach detecting I will mention that is "not good form" to detect when the beach is full of tourists, so stick to early or late in the day. As inland remove all the rubbish you dig (there can be a lot!).

Evan

NoodleStu

Post by NoodleStu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Evan

Thank u for the advice.
We will give it a go and see what happens.
Hahaha I certainly wouldn't go when the beaches are busy.
We like the quiet life!!!! :D

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:00 pm

I used the ACE 250 on the beach a while back. As Saffron suggested it's fine on the dry sand, and not very good at all on the deep wet sand near the tide mark.

However, I did have some success using the ACE 250 in shallow troughs/shingle areas. I remember finding an 1890's American silver dime and other old military stuff in such a setting.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”