Garrett Ace 250 best coil?

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
tctron

Garrett Ace 250 best coil?

Post by tctron » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi guys,

I've been detecting for about 7 years (first 6 years were on the ACE 250) and more often than not my brother would come out with me and dig my holes and help me find the targets etc. About 1 year ago I decided to upgrade to the AT MAX. Over the last 6 months or so, my brother has been coming out with me on hunts using my old 250 and to be honest it's all over the show. We mainly hit pasture sites and the 250 tends to give false signals (despite knocking sensitivity down) and generally isn't getting close to what the AT MAX can produce.

So...My questions is, what would you guys suggest I should buy, coil wise, to improve the performance of the 250? I can't afford to buy a new detector for him but thought maybe a new coil might improve things.

Thank you in advance for any advice given ::g

Best,
James

Saffron

Re: Garrett Ace 250 best coil?

Post by Saffron » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 pm

It should not be "all over the show" nor "give false signals (despite knocking sensitivity down)".

Dumb, but important question, have you removed the coil cover and cleaned it and the coil .... dirt and sand will eventually get in between the coil and cover and cause the issues you describe. Tip: the cover can be hard to remove, rather than risk damaging it stand it in warm water for a short time this makes it softer and easier to remove.

Having checked the above as you say its 7 years old, rather than invest in a new coil spend (hopefully less) money on getting it serviced and checked over. As unless its a fault with the coil, which at that age is possible, the problems you describe are likely to continue with any other coil you try.

If eventually you go for an additional coil I would recommend the Nel Tornado (I used it on the 250). But ALL coils have pros and cons, the Tornado will give better ground coverage and slightly more depth but it is heavier so the balance of the machine is not quite so good and in trashy ground you are more likely to mask good targets with bad ones (these comments would apply to any coil larger than the standard one).

Edit: However, the AT MAX is a superior and much more expensive machine so it does not matter what coil you fit to the 250 you should not expect it to get as good results.

Evan

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:20 am

Exactly what Saffron said u;@
Where in the country are you? Maybe someone close by could try their coil on your machine to rule out either the coil or machine?

Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 am

As well as removing the coil cover and clearing out any muck, it would be well worth checking the coil cable connection to the control box.

On a couple of occasions I had my old EuroAce 250 go daft on me and it turned out that, on one occasion, a bit o' dirt had gotten into the connector whilst changing coils in the field but on an other occasion Verdigris had formed on the pins/socket whilst the machine had been out of service for some considerable time.

Chris ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Krusty

Post by Krusty » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Are you sure you aren't,detecting too close to each other as I noticed when I had a 250 the Garrett used to interfere with each other

tctron

Post by tctron » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Thank you for all your replies. To answer some of the questions;

1) Are you sure you aren't, detecting too close to each other?
We often detect at least 50 yards from one another.

2) Where in the country are you?
In the midlands - near Birmingham

I have cleaned the detector thoroughly (no cover is used) and made sure the wire in securely plugged in. When I bought it all those years ago it would always give the odd false signal and wouldn't be able to pin point where a target is. Don't get me wrong, if there's a coin 3-6 inches below the ground it will find it but it will also give me ghost signals quite often. The condition of the detector is good and has always been looked after and cleaned after each hunt.

Like Saffron has said, perhaps it just needs a service.

Really appreciate all your advice and hopefully I can resolve the issue.

Best regards,
James

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”