The benefits/disadvantages of upgrading to a Nel tornado coil for my Garrett ace 250

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
Easylife

Re: The benefits/disadvantages of upgrading to a Nel tornado coil for my Garrett ace 250

Post by Easylife » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Ixoye wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Easy life, how did you find the 250 performed with the bigger nel coil ? Or how did your mates find it ?
I’ve 3 that all said it totally changed the machine for the better
I only personally know of one person who upgraded to the larger Nel coil though not on a 250, I think it was an AT Pro. They seem to do quite well with it but who's to say that they would not have found the same with the standard coil? Only by making direct comparisons of the 2 coils directly over the very same targets would you really know for sure. ::g

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Tetra73

Re: The benefits/disadvantages of upgrading to a Nel tornado coil for my Garrett ace 250

Post by Tetra73 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:01 pm

I upgraded my Ace 250 with the Nel coil and I am more than happy with it and in my opinion was worth the money spent, I don't find the added weight a problem but I do have problems with pinpointing at times but to be fair I think that is me more than anything as at times I had problems with the stock coil. But at the end of the day it is down to personal choice on if you risk spending the money to find out if it suits you or not, for me I feel it did

Shaneb3

Post by Shaneb3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 pm

I got the rc40 large coil for my red racer. It's been on permanently for months now. I'm really impressed with it. I only got one as my permission (my work place for last 19 years) is being developed for housing in a year's time ;;z . So I have to cover 110 acres as many times as I can with 8 hours detecting per week and I've covered ground much faster than with the stock coil. Also found a George 2 tiny silver penny at 8 1/2 inches today, really impressed with that :D

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 pm

I still have my ace 250 which has the tornado coil on as a permeant fixture and it still gets the odd outing now and again . Personally I like using the larger coil and never had too many problems other than it can be a little weighty after a while . Pinpointing is an issue sometimes but most likely its down to me and I get the point if there is more than one item that the coil picks up which can cause the confusion . It did take me a while to suss out the pinpointing to a degree but have found that just above centre of the coil is about right , or at least it seems to be for me .
I tend to use my other machine more but it is great to have a back up machine just in case one or the other packs up so if it were me I would probably invest the money in another machine when funds allow purely for back up reasons .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am

hello, save your money and use it to upgrade your 250 as most do after a time learning all the controls and jargon that goes with metal detecting, that is not to say the garret 250 will not find good items but has its limitations, if you can get out with other metal detectorists see what they are using to give you an idea of what is available that will enhance the specifications to the 250, it is not all about how deep a detector will go,

ploughchaser

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:48 pm

I’ve only just read these last replies,it went on to page 2,never had that before lol👍

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”