Ace 250 coil and control covers

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
AlwaysHopeful

Ace 250 coil and control covers

Post by AlwaysHopeful » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am

Hi all.

Have been using an Ace 250 for about a month now as my first detector. Great little machine and have been very impressed.

I’d like to get some covers for the coil and control box. There seem to be a lot available from various 3rd parties, some with mixed online reviews. Can anyone recommend any in particular, especially the coil cover which I guess needs to be a snug fit?

Many thanks.

Dave The Slave

Re: Ace 250 coil and control covers

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am

Welcome to the Forum.
You could try Regtons or one of the other main dealers.
Good Luck ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am

I bought mine from Amazon the coil cover is currently unavailable but the control box cover was £14.50 + postage I worked on the fact that if they were poor fitting I could send them back without any hassle

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 am

staffs metal detectors/ Pro-tector covers/ Great quality,,,

AlwaysHopeful

Post by AlwaysHopeful » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks all.
Tetra73 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am
I bought mine from Amazon the coil cover is currently unavailable but the control box cover was £14.50 + postage I worked on the fact that if they were poor fitting I could send them back without any hassle
Do you have a link to the Amazon listing handy?

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 pm

The Ace 250 is a fantastic machine for the money and you should find plenty with it.

This might seem a stupid question .... but .... are you sure it does not already have a coil cover?.

If you got the machine new it would automatically have one fitted, they are a very tight fit so you might think its part of the coil.

Even if you got it pre-used its unlikely to have had it removed - unless previous owner had broken it.

If you are correct and it does not have one it is worth getting, as we all give the coil the "odd" knock against something hard and better have to replace a cover than the coil.

Evan

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 pm

AlwaysHopeful wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am
Thanks all.
Tetra73 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am
Do you have a link to the Amazon listing handy?
for the control box cover
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I5IXY2/ ... UTF8&psc=1

the coil cover is not available on Amazon ATM

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Saffron wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 pm
The Ace 250 is a fantastic machine for the money and you should find plenty with it.

This might seem a stupid question .... but .... are you sure it does not already have a coil cover?.

If you got the machine new it would automatically have one fitted, they are a very tight fit so you might think its part of the coil.

Even if you got it pre-used its unlikely to have had it removed - unless previous owner had broken it.

If you are correct and it does not have one it is worth getting, as we all give the coil the "odd" knock against something hard and better have to replace a cover than the coil.

Evan
I bought mine new in August and it did not include a cover

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Check out our MDFShop we have various covers for the ACE ::g

Direct link - Metal Detector Covers

AlwaysHopeful

Post by AlwaysHopeful » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Saffron wrote:

Evan
Purchased new from Amazon last month but it definitely doesn't have a coil cover unfortunately. I ordered one from Regtons earlier which should be here in a couple of days. As you say and it says on their website - better to replace a coil cover than a coil!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Tetra73 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Saffron wrote:

Evan
I bought mine new in August and it did not include a cover
x; :-/

Confused but checked. Here is the standard Ace 250 pack, which most people get to start with still exactly the same as when I bought mine - "Garrett Ace 250 Pack also includes Coil Cover, Headphones, Beginners Guide, Instruction Manual / DVD."

https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... tor/103580

I know there are some copies / fakes out there claiming to be the Garrett series and that is what I feared people have been buying, rather than using reputable dealers. But having checked the websites for some of the established reputable dealers I see a couple are selling the machine on its own (no headphones nor coilcover etc) for a lower price .... so I suspect this is what AlwaysHopeful (what a good user name) and Tetra73 bought.

Evan

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:09 pm

AlwaysHopeful wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm

<cut>
Purchased new from Amazon last month but it definitely doesn't have a coil cover unfortunately. I ordered one from Regtons earlier which should be here in a couple of days. As you say and it says on their website - better to replace a coil cover than a coil!
Fair enough. Having checked I see you can get them without the covers. .... the extra is well worth it ::g

Reason I said check is I have known a couple of cases where as the covers were fitted when they got them and they are such a tight fit people did not realise they were already fitted!.

If you have a problem fitting it as its so tight put it in hot water for a short while this will make it more pliable and much easier to fit. (Same applies to removing it to clean - coil is waterproof so no problem there).

Evan

AlwaysHopeful

Post by AlwaysHopeful » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Saffron wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Confused but checked. Here is the standard Ace 250 pack, which most people get to start with still exactly the same as when I bought mine - "Garrett Ace 250 Pack also includes Coil Cover, Headphones, Beginners Guide, Instruction Manual / DVD."

https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... tor/103580

I know there are some copies / fakes out there claiming to be the Garrett series and that is what I feared people have been buying, rather than using reputable dealers. But having checked the websites for some of the established reputable dealers I see a couple are selling the machine on its own (no headphones nor coilcover etc) for a lower price .... so I suspect this is what AlwaysHopeful (what a good user name) and Tetra73 bought.

Evan

Evan
I bought mine directly from Amazon (rather than a 3rd party marketplace seller) mainly for the next day Prime delivery. Think I paid £180 and have just paid £15 for the coil cover so pretty much the same price as that pack. We’re not using headphones at the moment as it’s normally my son and I out together so it’s good for us both to hear it beeping away :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm

It's worth mentioning that should you plan to attend one of the organised rallies, then wearing headphones is a requirement to avoid disruption to other detectorists. Also NCMD/FDS membership card will be required too. Good Luck - Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

AlwaysHopeful

Post by AlwaysHopeful » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:44 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm
It's worth mentioning that should you plan to attend one of the organised rallies, then wearing headphones is a requirement to avoid disruption to other detectorists. Also NCMD/FDS membership card will be required too. Good Luck - Regards ss47 ::g
Thanks, will bear that in mind. We do have various headphones in the house (probably better quality than the free ones!) just not needed to use them yet.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:59 pm

AlwaysHopeful wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:44 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm
Thanks, will bear that in mind. We do have various headphones in the house (probably better quality than the free ones!) just not needed to use them yet.
"We do have various headphones in the house (probably better quality than the free ones!) " :)) :))

They are not the best, but they work and for the price of the pack you can not expect expensive top of the range headphones.

When I saw SS47s post I was about to advise you to look for alternative headphones but it seems that you have that covered already.

FYI: If you did not know the reason for NCMD / FID membership being required on organised events is that it provides insurance should the worse happen.
NCMD is only £8 pa and provides £10 million third party insurance and if you detect on beaches where you are obviously more likely to get people around I would recommend it even if you do not go on events https://www.ncmd.co.uk/
I do not know the details of the FID insurance.

One for the mods: What have I done to stop this thread from appearing on the home page :-/ :-/ (other threads from the Ace250 forum display, its just this one missing).

Evan

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:07 pm

for £8 you would be daft NOT to be a member of NCMD / FID even if you don't go to rally's it's worth it for the insurance ::g and like AlwaysHopeful I also bought from Amazon for the free next day prime delivery

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”