New to this. + Garret 250 Ace question

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
uzz

New to this. + Garret 250 Ace question

Post by uzz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am

Having just got myself a Garret 250 Ace I went metal detecting yesterday for the first time.
a shingle beach on the south coast.
As a complete beginner I was just going to spend a few hours there to see what I could find.
My metal detector was beeping like mad ( I did ground it first) but when I ran it over the spot the signal was gone or moved or deeper or shallower than before.
The signal moved or was bogus.
I do need to get a pin pointer.
Can anyone please give me some tips on how to improve my detection.
Thanks
Dave.

stjimmy1980

Re: New to this. + Garret 250 Ace question

Post by stjimmy1980 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am

You can't ground balance the 250 , your machine is falsing and you need to reduve the sensitivity until it's more stable. It should be OK on dry sand but it's not really suitable for the wet stuff.
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
YT Ivys metal detecting UK

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 am

if you don't have a pin pointer I would recommend you get one it will help you and save time in the long run. I have not been to the beach with my 250 so can't help there, but there are a few videos on you tube beach detecting with the 250

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

As stated, the Garrett should be OK’ish on dry sand, and on some wet sand as long as it’s not too mineralised (when it did, you hit the black stuff). By reducing the sensitivity, this can help with the erratic signals.... and sometimes right down to 4 off the bottom. The Garrett is a great machine for inland searching, once you learn it...
A cheap GP pinpointer will not be great on mineralised sand either, that will false as well.
Good luck with the 250 ::g
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi Dave
Used to use the ace 300i until recently( it's the 250 with a slight upgrade - so very little difference); it was ideal on land and dry sand and so so on wet sand but definitely didn't like salty wet shingle or sand that hadn't dried out.
The falsing effect drives you mad until you get over it and realise if you're digging deep holes (over 10") and still getting jumpy signals you can bet its reacting to either black sand and pockets of sea water retained beneath you.
Stay on the dry sand till you get used to its behaviour and tones.
When I started , I'd take a selection of coins to the beach and put them in those little coin bags you get from the bank for free, then tie them shut with a long piece of string and then bury them with the string poking out of the sand.
That way you can practice detecting and get your pin pointing and target I'd numbers perfected.
(Dont put them loose in the sand just yet in case you lose 'em lol.
It's a good little coin shooter so dont be put off - keep trying, but for the moment stay on dry sandy ares (or pasture if you have it) and you'll soon figure out a good target from a bad one.
If its strong and repeatable in two directions it'll be worth digging.
Good luck to the future and dont be put off !
Regards
Len R.

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”