New Ace 250

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
Wessexlad

New Ace 250

Post by Wessexlad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Ace 250 from the MDF shop, ordered yesterday morning, arrived lunchtime today. About 28 hours start to finish, you really can't fault it. Great service.

Been out in the garden with it this evening to start to get accustomed to it, finding a lot of signals where my previous detector thought it was more or less cleaned out, so big improvement there. I tried discriminating iron out and dug a signal that was indicating possibly silver, turned out to be an iron nail. I guess I have more experimenting to do. Any tips on settings would be appreciated. I'm hoping to take it out on my permission at the weekend so would like to be as well set up as I can be.

I hate lollipop ladies.
They make me cross.

garrettoldboy

Re: New Ace 250

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:36 pm

hello, try this, put in custom mode, take out first 3 bars on sensitivity, take out first 4 blocks on DISC, good luck

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:41 pm

hello, i have the euro ace and only use these modes,

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My other detector is ok but it's very much entry level/kids, so only has knobs for volume, sensitivity and discrimination. Not that sophisticated, the Ace controls are a lot more to deal with. All down to practice I guess.
I hate lollipop ladies.
They make me cross.

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 am

Hello i personaly run mine wide open full power when ground allows, why strangle its capabilities if u dont need to, depends on how much u want to dig i suppose, but its suprisingly deep even with the stock coil on, ive now got the 9×12 concetric coil and its even deeper.
But every one has their own preferences on settings

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Wessexlad, welcome to the wonderful world of Garrett ::g

My opinions for what they're worth:

1st - Sensitivity - there isn't much ground where I run full sensitivity - you will see when you have too many bars active, it will be beeping at everything, all the time, even blades of grass. I generally run at 1 or 2 bars off max and then sometimes 3-4 bars off if the ground is very wet or mineralised.

2nd - Discrimination - I personally do not have any discrimination on, run it on all metal - zero bars turned off. You will get used to the tones soon enough with practice.

Generally speaking:
- rule number 1 - if in doubt, did it out!

- If a target returns a tone / display that looks like silver (far right), sweep the coil over it a few times, with a slightly faster swing and then again at 90ish degrees. If it jumps around high to low - showing any iron at times,,,, then this will probably be old rusty iron - dig a few to begin with, check out your interpretation. You do need to watch for good targets masked by iron, this is far more complex to interpret. if in doubt - dig.

- if a target returns a solid, short tone - 'ping' - consistently showing 7-8 bars in different directions. dig it - it will probably be a copper / bronze coin type find. (not always a double ding - depends upon lay of the coin)

- if a target returns a solid, short tone - 'ping' - consistently showing 10-12 bars in different directions. dig it - it will probably be a nice silver type find. (not always a double ding - depends upon lay of the coin) [Caveat - can also be modern stainless or zinc coated items]

- if the target returns a solid longer tone, showing at just above the ring-pull - check with the pin-pointer - if a appearing to be a large target, it will probably be a aluminium drinks can.

- lead is a bit like aluminium, showing high on the scale 9-10 bars and lovely tone - I always dig it, and almost always disappointed.

- if the target shows as a ring-pull, it generally will be or small foil (again, caveat, I have found a hammered coin showing as around a ring pull - so I did it every time now.

It took me max 10 hours of digging everything to understand the tones.

On pin-pointing - there are several methods - I started using the built in pin-pointer, but soon realised that this can be out, especially if the target is near the surface. I just use the slightly faster swing, 90 degrees turn, zig-zagging over it method to visualise the centre of the target. Different with a Nel coil something you will be looking to buy in 3 months time :))

Happy searching
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks, I'll have a good read of that when I'm not at work.
I hate lollipop ladies.
They make me cross.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Finally got out with it for a few hours yesterday and i have a couple of issues. As some people suggested I tried it with the first couple of notches discriminated out. I found occasionally that I got a tone indicating something interesting, possibly silver or bronze, but then couldn't get the tone again, and the display just showed it as iron. Is this something that happens now and then, and how frequently can I expect it?

I also found that I was getting a consistent signal for something other than iron, but when I dug it, it was only iron after all. Is this common?
I hate lollipop ladies.
They make me cross.

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:34 pm

I bought the ace 250 last week one thing I would recommend is a coil cover I paid £10 on Amazon it will help protect the coil and help reduce false dings

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Mine came with a coil cover and it was on. Thanks anyway, would have been a good tip if I didn't have one.
I hate lollipop ladies.
They make me cross.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi Wessexlad,
You will get the good tone, then the iron tone if it’s old, rusty iron. I’d suggest always doing the 90 degree check to see if the tone changes. If it jumps, good to iron, it will be with old iron or iron of an odd shape.

Are you sure it’s a consistent high tone? Did you scan from different angles? It could always be a mixed find. Maybe a another item is close by the iron?

Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”