norfolk looking for help , have permissions i am newbie

Only topics related to the Garrett Euro ace metal detector here.
mickreeve

norfolk looking for help , have permissions i am newbie

Post by mickreeve » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:40 pm

hi all

My husband and I have just started detecting with the garrett euroace.... I have been over forums etc concerning sounds and what not to dig and what to dig... but believe it or not we are still stuck...I don't know what we are doing wrong.. so I though i might get back to the forum and see if their was someone local to us near kings lynn that we could meet up with and show us what we are doing wrong.... we have joined the local club but we don't meet again until another month... and really don't want to be wasting time not detecting and gaining knowledge
We have done the test etc with gold silver and iron... but the detector doesn't seem to differentiate between them... or more then likely we are not understanding what it says...
can anyone help us or guide us in the right direction...

Kindest regards

Mick and nikki

We have several permissions which we could practice on.. 1 in our home village of fincham... 1 in ashwicken and 1 in crowland...

Easylife

Re: norfolk looking for help , have permissions i am newbie

Post by Easylife » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I am not farmiliar with the Euroace, but it sounds like you are using an all-metal mode with no discrimination if non ferrous and iron sound the same. You could read the manual regarding this.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 pm

What model do you have? I have a 400i and would be quite happy to talk to you about settings, discrimination etc. What model you have determines what features you have regarding this.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

tigerseeker

Post by tigerseeker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:23 pm

I have a Euroace and love it!

Previous post sounds about right if you are in all metal mode.

I run on custom with first four notches discriminated out and usually two off sensitivity (unless the ground sends my machine crazy and I take another one off sensitivity). I found my first hammered (quarter) 2 weeks ago using these settings.

When I first got my machine I ran in all metal but you have got to trust your machine (you get so tired of digging iron you have to do something!! B| B| ) and I have never looked back.

Also if I get a bouncy signal I switch to all metal and the tones usually confirm it to be a lump of iron but if it stays high dig it!!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find your ideal settings with your machine.
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphones
Determination

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:04 pm

There is only one solution here ... or is it two ... you have to dig every signal ... and later rather than sooner, you will learn what is junk and what is a possible target ... you will continue to dig junk as the years go by ... but as they go by you will dig fewer and fewer bits of junk ... that is until you hit a purple patch, and then the whole sorry saga of digging everything will start all over again!!! thats detecting for you ... if there was a magic formula ... they would have told you in the instructions manual!!! Hope that helps :ml :ml :ml :ml
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Shanebasing

Post by Shanebasing » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello iv just got home from detecting with my euroace i also run mine on custom mode take the first 5 off discrim and 3 off sense what you are listing for is a nice sounding ding or a double ding,if you get a ding turn sideways on to the the target if it shows up thick and jumps around ur proberly on big iron if its staying on the same segments is normaly a diggable target double dings are always digable but could be cans or lead.if you have an iron target close to each other they carn also give u a ding look at the box if you see it on ferrous then jump to a segment near the thick side chances are it iron close together.
Hopefully this helps abit just keep swinging and digging after more hours ur get it

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:46 pm

The consensus so far is to simply add some discrimination by notching out the first 4 or 5 bars and also reduce sensitivity by 2 or 3. Sounds like good advice. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

mickreeve

Post by mickreeve » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:45 am

thank you for all your help and good advice..

we have turned off first 4 notches... we can get a middle tone with a high tone, and when looking at the panel there is a the bottom notch lit up but obviously with no signal due to the discrimination. and often these ones are nails etc..

can the middle notch be a mid tone and a high tone? Is it only the high tones we dig without any ferrous showing?

thanks everyone appreciate your help

nikki

Shanebasing

Post by Shanebasing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 am

If you are getting a signal one way and you turn to the side and you dont get a signal chances are you were running the lenth of the iron.
If you are getting a signal both ways but it is just on your first notch its more than likely a big bit of iron
so what i do is move the coil side to side in really short sweeps side to side coming off the target an if you start to see it jump from your first notch to the ferrous then its a big chunk of iron.bit if its staying on the the first notch as your coming of the target dig it.
I your ever worried should i dig it or not just take a spade full out and see if the target sound cleans up or i it shows up in the ferrous end of the discrim.
HOPE THIS HELPS happy swinging and digging

Simonwwfc26

Post by Simonwwfc26 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 am

thefiggis wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 pm
What model do you have? I have a 400i and would be quite happy to talk to you about settings, discrimination etc. What model you have determines what features you have regarding this.
I have the same model it's brand new
I've been using relic mode
also iron disk mode with first 3 notched out and two down from sensitivity
In hoc signo Vinces

jeap

Post by jeap » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I've use the EuroAce and run it on all metal mode with bottom 2 - 3 ferrous notched off. I'm not convinced that notching off 5, as mentioned by another EuroAce user, is wise as you may miss some of the signals that should be dug. I use most of the advice already given - wait for that higher ding noise (rather then low iron grunt), turn 90 degrees to check for similar noise at a different angle. Not sure if someone has already mentioned but it's important to get your swing right (check youtube for good techniques), essentially you're looking for a low and slow movement where the coil is kept as close to the ground at all parts of the swing as possible. Other bits of advice can be found all over this wonderful forum, just search for terms like iron halo effect, power lines, soil mineralisation and hot rocks. Understanding the conditions of where you're detecting is an important part of getting the most out of it (and something I still struggle with).

Shanebasing

Post by Shanebasing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 am

have you seen the regton video on youtube about the euro ace they show you the perfect setting for uk soils, since watching it I have run my euroace like it and with great success,im very rarely digging iron.
in the two and abit months iv been doing it iv had over 20 or so roman coins,a silver hammered henry 111 short cross penny,edward 111 silver groat loads of buttons,silver six pence buckles and strap ends, Tudor thimbles and 1 nail and a hinge.for me notching out the first 4 or 5 has been real productive.Im spending less time on targets I'm not sure on to the better sounding targets that are worth digging.

Jungleboy

Post by Jungleboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi,

Just to add my two pence...

There seems a general theme here regarding sensitivity, (being 2 bars from full), which is pleasing as that is how I run it very happily.

Normally I run all metal (zero) or knock off 3/4 notches if the site is really messy.

In the beginning, I was digging everything, but the more time spent in the field, it will become clearer which signals to leave and which to dig. You will always end up with some rubbish each session.

I think it is very important to get your swing right, my technique is to sweep in a wide arch in front and to the side of you whilst walking slowly forwards, as mentioned,the lower the better without hitting mud or corn stubble, as this will often give false signals.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
George
Jungleboy

Garrett Euroace + Garrett Pro Pointer + Roughneck Spade

Return to “Garrett Euro Ace Forum”