Advice needed for frustrated Norwegian amateur.

Only topics related to the Garrett Euro ace metal detector here.
Agathos

Advice needed for frustrated Norwegian amateur.

Post by Agathos » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 am

My wife gave me the Garrett Euro Ace as a birthday gift a few years back. Best gift ever. I haven't really had much time to use it, though, just on a nearby field, and I have enjoyed digging up plenty of modern iron junk. I am now visiting my parents' place down in South Norway and nearby their house is a farmstead where I believe there has been continuous occupation since the stone age, with nearby bronze age barrows and plenty of iron age finds not far away. This is smack in the middle of one of the most historically rich places in Norway. I asked the owners of the fields for permission to look at their fields, and they told me there have been no detectorists there before. Yay! The fields are used for grazing and I don't think they have been ploughed in many years.

Filled with mental images of discovering viking swords, borre jewelry, cold coins, rune stones, ship burials, and the Norwegian equivalent of Sutton Hoo, I eagerly set out. The first day I dug every signal and -- surprise surprise -- found plenty of modern iron junk. I would say there is a piece of iron about every two meters. I called it a day after an hour or so.

The next day I decided to try to discriminate against iron to make my journey to archaeological glory and staredom somewhat shorter. I chose the "jewelry" mode on the machine where it will not make any sound signals for iron. Now I could actually walk a fair bit without the company of constant beeping sounds. And when the machine for the first time beeped with that higher-pitched sound signalling non-ferrous metal, I could barely contain my excitement. But it was iron, again. And so was the next find, too. And the next 5-6 finds until I gave up. The signals are clearly non-ferrous, but after starting to digging there might be a mix of ferrous and non-ferrous signals, and eventually all there is is iron trash.

I noticed that the signals on the display are typically either completely to the right side of the non-ferrous area, or completely to the left side of the ferrous area, and often jumping between these two extreme positions. Very rarely do I get signals from other areas of the non-ferrous range, and when I do, and have started digging, the signals will usually change to becoming ferrous and eventually, to my disappointment, all I despondently find is a nail or piece of iron wire.

Is the machine malfunctioning? Or am I? And how can I find those viking swords in a field rich with modern day iron rubbish ?

Agathos

Re: Advice needed for frustrated Norwegian amateur.

Post by Agathos » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 am

Out again on the same field. Still getting mixed signals. I had one find today where I only got non-ferrous signals - and it was an aluminium bottle cap. So it seems iron gives all kinds of signals whereas other metals may be less easily exitable and stick to non-ferrous. If so, I can more easily pass all places with mixed signals.

Just found this, 2 minutes ago. Worth digging?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Agathos on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am

Well, my first piece of advice is:
"Patience young Jedi"
You have a fantastic area to search in and there will be finds there, you just need to take yourself back in time and imagine where "you" would build your new little village etc...
Iron plagues us all
And in a way you have been taught a lesson with your first few days detecting.....Its not a quick get rich scheme, but does have the potential to find interesting and history changing items...
Good luck and dont worry about your first few days, it is a time to get to learn your machine and learn the sounds it makes over different items...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 am

I suggest finding an area which is much less trashy and practice with it more first, then re-visit this promising site you have permission to detect later on, when you are more confident with the tones of your machine. Don't focus on the screen too much, try to just go by the tones. If you get a good two-way tone, dig it. This area you mention sounds like it's a 'challenge', and you do need to know the machine well to pull out items amongst those areas. Some machines make it much easier than others.

The Euroace isn't a good machine for trashy areas. The target separation on it is very poor, and the discrimination bar jumps all over the scale at the slightest whiff of iron. I think the Eurotek Pro does a better job for around the same amount of money. The good thing about metal detectors is you can usually sell a machine without losing much money on them (maybe the market for machines in Norway is different). So, maybe a different machine would help for detecting that area. If you enjoy the hobby and can afford it then the XP Deus is probably the best machine for trashy areas. But again it will take practice to get confident with the tones.

Everyone digs iron when they start off with a machine, but with practice they dig a lot less. Who knows you may even find an iron sword and re-write the history books, without meaning to. Good luck. ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am

The dreaded iron!! Firstly you need to set it up right. Go to custom and remove the first 4 or 5 notches to get rid of a lot of iron. Watch this video for other tips.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would I dig that signal? No. A good signal with that machine is a clear bell. That is jumping everywhere so is likely to be deep iron. You can always dig out one spade depth and rescan to decide if you want to go further but the signal you videoed is definitely deep iron.

Your site has one major disadvantage, like many of mine, it hasn't been ploughed for years. So the finds are likely to be deep. The Garrett can find deep signals but has only limited ways of telling you what the thing is it has detected. The deeper you go the more iron interference is heard by the machine from the soil. So deep, good signals might be heard as iron and discriminated out. Or maybe they are just too deep to be found.

Or maybe you have just not walked over a good find yet?
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

There are a few people on our forums who are geniuses with this machine, hopefully they will be along soon to help with your settings
But
One thing i will say is settings like "jewelery mode" are often highly discriminated settings and really designed for the American market...
In my opinion you would be better setting it up with no discrim and the sensitivity as high as you safely go without the machine sounding off on every blade of grass it touches

You will find that those built in modes will make large iron scream at you mainly because it has told your machine not to make the "iron grunt " noise too....so if you cant hear the iron grunt burp, then all you hear is the high pitched tail end of the iron signal....
Trust your ears Luke
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Harry Digger

Post by Harry Digger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am

Blackadder43 wrote:There are a few people on our forums who are geniuses with this machine, hopefully they will be along soon to help with your settings
But
One thing i will say is settings like "jewelery mode" are often highly discriminated settings and really designed for the American market...
In my opinion you would be better setting it up with no discrim and the sensitivity as high as you safely go without the machine sounding off on every blade of grass it touches

You will find that those built in modes will make large iron scream at you mainly because it has told your machine not to make the "iron grunt " noise too....so if you cant hear the iron grunt burp, then all you hear is the high pitched tail end of the iron signal....
Trust your ears Luke
"Use the force Luke." =))
Roy Everett ‏@RoyEverett 1h
I'm outside Old Trafford and there's a guy burning small effigies of Rooney and selling them to fans. Oh, hang on. It's a baked potato stand.

Agathos

Post by Agathos » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

The first day I dug everything, and ended up with plenty of iron. The second day I only dug when I got a non-ferrous signal (I took away the first notches for iron), but still only found iron (because it also signalled for ferrous). The third day, today, I was really skeptical of the signals and decided to only dig when I got a clear unambigious non-ferrous signal, and I ended up mainly finding bottle caps and aluminium cans. So it works! Now I just need to keep doing what I did today, and hopefully this method will allow me to find bronze, silver and gold.

As for the video I posted above, and whether I should dig or not. I decided to dig regardless of the advice I expected to come, anticipating a summons from my wife to do family things and being in a rush. This is what was hidden behind the crazy signaL

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Looks like some modern Vikings were a bit thirsty. :D Unfortauntely if you don't dig those sorts of targets you will miss the proper silver stuff.

Keep at it, it's only a matter of time before you find something that makes your heart race. ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

felixferal

Post by felixferal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:06 pm

If your digging bottle caps, foil and ring pulls your digging the right stuff. If the ground hasn't been ploughed for years, the older stuff will be much deeper, but you never know.

Keep on doing what your doing and it'll come together! Good luck! ::g ::g :D
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Ah, the reality of metal detecting! Which oddly enough is why we get so much pleasure when we hit the good stuff and find hammered coins etc. If it was easy it wouldn't be so satisfying and rewarding (or addictive).
We all dig iron to some extent. In fact on a site that could have large relics on it then it can sometimes be a good thing to do so.

Yesterday I went to a field where I have found medieval coins and roman artifacts....but which also has Green Waste spread on it and lots of buried iron and cans and bottles from the 1950's when it was last occupied. I dug 10 times as many old toothpaste tubes and bottle caps than I did anything else.....but I also found two really good jetons, a silver hatpin and a handful of coins dating from Louis 14th until the War. Plus lots and lots of iron because I dug signals that I knew were a bit 'iffy' to make sure I missed nothing.
Getting to know a machine's language and to interpret the tones it makes accurately takes time and patience. Like learning any language of course!

My tip is to restrict yourself to a small area say 20 metres square and detect it in a grid pattern and go over it until you have investigated everything. Remove any iron as you go....it masks other smaller signals so dig it and take it away. Then go over it again in different directions. Go slowly and take your time. When geting a good permission like this its easy to rush it in our excitement and swish around randomly and so we only catch the obvious Big Bangs. Try a more disciplined approach.....small area and big concentration level.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Return to “Garrett Euro Ace Forum”