signal sound vs reading on machine

Only topics related to the Garrett Euro ace metal detector here.
pj70

signal sound vs reading on machine

Post by pj70 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi,

Would like to understand from garrett users whether you use the display or the sound to determine whether to dig or not. I just have found that I can get a nice bell sound but it showing ferrous on display. Would you dig because there is iron near a non ferrous item that has created the sound OR leave it and move on?

Interested in people's thoughts.

Cheers
Paul

sweepstick47

Re: signal sound vs reading on machine

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Hello Paul ::g This type of target signal which you refer to, can be misleading for the 'new' detectorist! They are frequently mistermed 'iffy signals'. Check each signal response via two coil approaches, the second being at 90 degrees to the first - (if you notice a difference in them, you're already 'getting there')!

The more practice expended in the use of your detector will pay huge dividends and reward you with the experience to make the right call (to dig or to leave). If you do leave such a signal and move off only to find you have doubts about that decision (we've all done that)!! go back and dig it as you will, on occasions, be rewarded!!

Until you feel confident about your ability to do this with a reasonable degree of accuracy, my suggestion would be to dig them all whilst remembering the differing response sounds each time, that way you'll soon have your machine mastered. Good Luck ::g Regards ss47

Added note: Meter indications are sometimes helpful but never conclusive -
whereas the human ear always excells .....except when I forget my hearing aids!! :))
A disservice is no service at all.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:33 am

So much goes into the decision to dig.

The only way to learn is to dig to find out. Put the hours in to learn your machine.

Size, shape and orientation all affect the response of your machine.

As an example. A long iron bar. Sweep down its length and it will be seen as iron. Sweep at 90 degrees over the centre and it will also be seen as iron. However sweep over the ends often gives a good tone.

KH_DK

Post by KH_DK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:26 am

Much like Koala wrote, a lot of the time those signals will be "iron halo", which means that large iron objects gives you a nice belltone if the coil does not pass directly over the object. Just push the pinpoint button and locate the targets exact location in the ground. If you are still getting a belltone when the coil is directly over it, dig it. If not, move on to the next target.
Makro Multi Kruzer
Garrett AT Pro
Teknetics G2+ Ltd.
Garrett AT Pinpointer

pj70

Post by pj70 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks all for your responses. Will use the sound rather than display.

Cheers
Paul

Return to “Garrett Euro Ace Forum”