Euro Ace headphone mod

Only topics related to the Garrett Euro ace metal detector here.
PeeBee

Euro Ace headphone mod

Post by PeeBee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:36 pm

I posted here recently complaining about my Euro Ace headphone lead getting in the way. Well, I decided to do something about it and I've modified it to put the headphone socket on the end of the shaft.

It has worked extremely well and if anyone wants chapter and verse, here is the .pdf file with the detailed instructions with pictures ::g Direct .pdf file link here Garrett EuroAce Mod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Growing old is unavoidable......growing up is optional

Nomis

Re: Euro Ace headphone mod

Post by Nomis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:51 pm

thats quality work there PeeBee....well done mate . ::g ::g

the only thing id worry about is if it starts raining and its in the open.

but its good work mate i like it ::g
Deus.v3.2 :Garrett euro ace:Vista Smart: Garrett pro-pointer:ss spade:

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:19 pm

That certainly is a very nice modification ::g

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Got that covered Nomis, I've put a rubber boot up the headphone cable and when I plug the phones in I slide the boot down over the end of the shaft. I robbed the rubber boot from a set of old car jumper leads - it fits perfectly.

Nomis

Post by Nomis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

PeeBee wrote:Got that covered Nomis, I've put a rubber boot up the headphone cable and when I plug the phones in I slide the boot down over the end of the shaft. I robbed the rubber boot from a set of old car jumper leads - it fits perfectly.
oh well that sounds better m8 ..keeping trade secrets back lol

like to see pic of it with headphones in m8.

like i said b4 m8 good job well done.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:49 am

OK Nomis, with the phones in the lead is well out of the way and you can put the machine down with plenty of movement to spare. I've used a right angled 3.5mm jack plug on the headphone lead so that it can swivel to take up the position of the lead, but I haven't managed to find a good quality metal right angled 3.5mm jack, this one's plastic - yuk. So I'm on the hunt for a pro quality metal right angled 3.5mm jack plug at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nomis

Post by Nomis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 pm

hi m8

that looks good mate ....like it a lot as you say its out the way good job. ::g

lmk your address mine is on its way to be converted =)) =))

once again m8 well done ..i do like it when folk do there own upgrades/improvements ::g

Titus Pantus

Post by Titus Pantus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

PeeBee, that looks terrific mate!! Would you be able to send me the PDF file please, and I am not too hot at DIY so d'you reckon I may manage it? This mod would also eliminate the need for a headphone extension too. Top job PeeBee!! ::g ::g
Teknetics G2+ LTD
Garrett PP
Makro Waterproof Pointer
All the Evolution Gear

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:33 am

Wayne, I've sent you the .pdf file and as you'll see there's drilling and soldering involved both of which require some manual dexterity. It's not a difficult mod, but it does need care and attention to what you're doing with the soldering of the jack plugs and socket being the most important part. As you'll also see I've put a huge disclaimer at the top of the instructions - sorry, but that's just the way it has to be I'm afraid. It's pretty obvious which is the tip, band and body on the stereo jack plugs because you can see what the solder tags are connected to, but the stereo socket is more difficult and you usually have to use a multimeter to find out which is which. However, on the Maplin 3.5mm panel jack socket that I've specified the tip solder tag is bronze coloured which is kind of them !

At the end of the day though it's not an irreversible mod. If it goes wrong, you're just back to the normal set up with the phones plugged into the control box.

Good luck.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 am

I thought I'd better put a little addendem here. Having now been out and about with my modified headphone set up I have to say I'm not happy with the quality of the Maplin 3.5mm jack plug and socket. Ok they work fine and I haven't suffered any audio problems, but they just don't make me feel that they're going to last very long. So I went searching for a better solution......and came up with a little bit of gold dust. I found a 3.5mm stereo jack plug and socket that are not only super quality, but they lock together with a screw collar. These fitted the Ace and the headopnes fine and I'm much happier out in the field with them. They're available from ESR Components, here:
http://www.esr.co.uk/

benny

Post by benny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Great idea and very well executed, well done. Ive just downloaded the pdf file and will be looking into this asap. Could you fit a 6.5mm set up into the bung hole? or is that to big? or was the 3.5mm personal choice? many thanks.
BENNY

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 pm

A most interesting mod; well presented and carried out.
Many thanks for keeping us all informed. ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Return to “Garrett Euro Ace Forum”