Pinpointers

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
wrobinson

Pinpointers

Post by wrobinson »

Hello all,

I use a Garrett pinpointer, and a friend of mine was considering buying one, then he noticed that there were a great many cheap Chinese versions on the market. Has anyone had any experience of these? Are they as good, out do they just not last?

Any advice much appreciated,

Will

Equinox 800

geoff

Re: Pinpointers

Post by geoff »

Stick with a good known brand,these things are cheap for a reason.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler »

Buy cheap buy twice :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.

So many fields, so few permissions

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

I suppose if your a dedicated person who gets out a lot a good quality one would be the only choice .However if like me you don't get out a great deal a cheapo will do .Mine is only a £20 cheapo but it does the job for what I need on the beach.I think with a lot of people its more down to image ie they have to have the most expensive brand to be seen to be ahead of the game . I see a lot of this on the bankside when fishing - Guys turning up with the £2000 pole or £500 rod & reel yet I can do as well with my £200 set up. I would say its more about learning how to use what you have got rather than anything else.

geoff

Post by geoff »

I personally disagree that it's about image, or being a head of the game to have good quality kit, I see it as wanting reliability in the field.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

You can get a Quest X pointer for about £60 which is pulse induction so never falses. Seems to be a good compromise between the £20 ebay garbage and the top end £100+

principia

Post by principia »

I have 3 pinpointers,

The Deteknix (Quest) Xpointer, XP MI6 pointer and the GPpointer II (chinese one, brand SHRXY).
The GP pointer price is 22.78 Euro, shipping include and works fine.
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus , 11" X35, hf eliptical
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer, XP MI-6

Bors

Post by Bors »

I use the " Quest Xpointer Pro " re-chargeable,fully waterproof model ,+ pulse . I can recommend that ::g .
However, having once owned an
"XPointer " (Cheapo jobby) I couldn`t recommend that at all. It eats battery life and interfered with my detector when it was switched on . ;;z ;;z ;;z
Last edited by Bors on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

rex123

Post by rex123 »

I bought the cheap one, have now got a pro find, don't do it!!

pengles

Post by pengles »

I use a cheap GP pointer. had it 2 1/2 years and use it regularly with absolutely no problems at all. When it finally gives up I'll just get another one. One battery lasts about a year with use several times a week in the season. Of course, I could have just been lucky.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog »

What Pengles upstairs said u;@
Rolling about naked in mud will give the wrong impression.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Isn`t it weird how different people find complete opposites to using the cheapo GP Pointer ? :D

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog »

Bors wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:32 am
Isn`t it weird how different people find complete opposites to using the cheapo GP Pointer ? :D
Maybe we just got lucky :))
Rolling about naked in mud will give the wrong impression.

defender4499

Post by defender4499 »

I have 3 pinpointers:
Garrett `Carrot` - good, easy on batteries and reliable but doesn`t go very deep.

Teknetics - okay, does go deep but hard on batteries and very unreliable, also too many settings.

Cheap Chinese pointer - rubbish, only goes a few cm so needs to be on the target to get a reading.

I had the XP pointer MI-6 when I had my Deus and it was good but I sold the Deus and now have a Nox so the Garrett is the one I use most.
Thanks,
Dave

Koala

Post by Koala »

my GP is still fine. Performance is adequate for the job. I did tape up the rear cap and speaker grill from new

There are two versions that look identical static version works, dynamic rubbish.

Just a quick test. Coin on the floor. Slowly sliding pointer down a ruler until first Beeb.

George V penny 55 mm
£1 43 mm
Tin 95 mm
1p copper clad 40 mm
1p copper 33 mm

What it will do is pick up a low charge 22 cartridge from a fair ground shooting stall which a genuine Garrett 1 would struggle with.

original thread here

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=90979

Koala

Post by Koala »

Used a DIY cable finder for a couple of years. Comes with a LCD bar graph. Also does AC and studs. It also worked fine. All this for £15. Just not very ergonomic for metal detecting

Pinpointers are over priced in my opinion.

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

I think the problem with the £20 Ebay GP pointers is that several different manufacturers in China make them so it’s very hard to determine what you get. Then you need to watch out for the dynamic ones which are obviously not ideal for a pinpointer.

dalos

Post by dalos »

The Whites treasure pro metal detector has a pinpoint function. Would getting a pinpointer still be worth it?

Which chinese pinpointer would u recommend?

Bors

Post by Bors »

dalos wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:38 pm
1) The Whites treasure pro metal detector has a pinpoint function. Would getting a pinpointer still be worth it?

2) Which chinese pinpointer would u recommend?
1) Without a shadow of a doubt.
2) The " QUEST " X POINTER . emphasis on the " QUEST " brand . ::g Its pulse induction so misses nowt. ::g
Last edited by Bors on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK »

wrobinson wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm
Hello all,

I use a Garrett pinpointer, and a friend of mine was considering buying one, then he noticed that there were a great many cheap Chinese versions on the market. Has anyone had any experience of these? Are they as good, out do they just not last?

Any advice much appreciated,

Will
Google, Regton How to spot fake garrett carrot, you will find a youtube video from Regton comparing a copy to the real thing.
Last edited by GeorgeMK on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koala

Post by Koala »

TinDigger wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:29 am
I think the problem with the £20 Ebay GP pointers is that several different manufacturers in China make them so it’s very hard to determine what you get. Then you need to watch out for the dynamic ones which are obviously not ideal for a pinpointer.
correct.

I bought mine direct from China. Slightly less risky as you could read a hundred reviews for the exact same item as I was purchasing.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

I purchased a couple of very cheap Chinese auction site pinpointers, they worked fine, they pick up coins at depths not far off the depth far more expensive versions achieve, the problem is both the cheapies do not pick up micro finds, in other words my two main detectors can find small items the Chinese pinpointers cannot see, and that as far as I'm concerned is a problem.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

As many others will no doubt agree, Pin-Pointers arrived late to the metal detecting scene and detectorists had no option but to use their detector to accurately identify the position of the find before reaching for the spade and then to locate the 'find' within the spoil-heap once it was out of the hole. I eventually purchased a Garrett Pro-Pointer about seven years ago and the reasons were twofold.

Detectors had become more sensitive than was the case, so finds such as air-gun pellets and even 12 Bore 'shot' were becoming regularly indicated as non-ferrous targets. The other reason was probably jointly down to 'father time' and the fact that these small projectiles are quite difficult to see in the 'spoil-heap' even when daylight is good and pretty much impossible to find in clay type soils without resorting to their use.

So far, the purchase of a quality pin-pointer has proved to be a good move, as it's still performing faultlessly despite the seven years use it's had. However, unlike some, I don't use it as a digging tool!!

I agree with others and wouldn't advise buying anything but a genuine article. ::g ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Bors

Post by Bors »

u;@ That last sentence will probably fall on some deaf ears as you`ll always get the Skinflints :D

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Hey that's ok for you old times who get free money off the government, I've got a country to support =))

True though, buy from a known uk dealer ::g

JunkFinder

Post by JunkFinder »

I have 2 a garrett and a gp pointer.

The garrett is one of the first generation ones, its a temperamental old thing. It works well but its not the most reliable. Though I believe the newer ones are much better.

Which leads me on to the gp pointer. I bought the gp as a backup when I went on a 3 day rally. I paid a whopping £13 for it direct from China, I have to say for that money it isnt bad. Yes it struggles with the very small stuff and yes it has less depth than the garrett but it was 1/10th of the price!

Is the gp pointer great? NO is it 10 times worse than the garrett? NO. Would I recommend it? Depends. It works well enough on coins and artefact that if you are new to the hobby, skint or just not gonna use it that much I would say go for it. Let's face it, a trip to KFC would cost £13.

However when you get into the hobby a bit more you are gonna want to upgrade at some point, and for me, I personally don't think I could use the gp pointer as my daily driver and the extra cost of a better one is worth it.
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garret Pro Pointer
1x Hammered

Bors

Post by Bors »

It`s all down to what you are "prepared to use " . If you want a Cheapo you buy one, and takes your chances. If it goes chest up, you can be thankful you didn`t lose out on much money but it might be sooner than you think.
Saying that you CAN buy an expensive top of the range one, and they too can be disruptive or fail it has been known on various threads on here . There is no guarantee when you buy a pinpointer you're going to get trouble-free service from it just because you buy an expensive one.
I bought the "Quest Xpointer Pro " on recommendation and I`d heard little to nobody ever dissing them , so that was my strategy why I bought one. Up to now NO complaints ,and very satisfied with it and the performance it gives.
All you can do is do your homework, and look at reviews, and take note of actual `user `reviews. But !! then again on saying that, they become up in the air when a typical example is on here with views of the Cheap Chinese GP pointer. 50% say it's fine, the other 50% say its rubbish. That`s when the head-scratching and confusion can become the reality of it all.
My view for what its worth .Buy from a reputable detectorist metal detecting shop ,and IF it does cause problems , its a quick phone call and send it back for a quick turnaround replacement while it`s under the guarantee. After the Guarantee runs out! Well, your up the Creek without a paddle then as with any other item.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Even the most expensive , the Xp mi-6 has a fault..
It’s rubbish when not paired to a deus , far too quiet with headphones on .

wrobinson

Post by wrobinson »

Thank you so much all of you for your kind replies. Some of you like them, some do not, I'll probably have a go and see what happens. If I lose twenty quid or so it won't break the bank, and then I'll pay up!

::g
Equinox 800

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”