Saxon Detectors

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
Pantaxoa

Saxon Detectors

Post by Pantaxoa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Hello everyone.
I've looked at the Easy Treasure website and am curious about their detectors. I like the look of the build quality and the idea of it being made in Britain. Not much information on the net, but I've read the comments already posted on this forum. I've also seen a YouTube video of a SM40 recovery speed and ability to detect close to iron. It looks like they are good machines. I was wondering if any users here could say what kind of depth they get from their machines. I know that depth is just one aspect of a detectors overall performance, but if depths are reasonable, I might be tempted.
Cheers.

bob the diggerer

Re: Saxon Detectors

Post by bob the diggerer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Think there was description regarding saxon detectors some years ago on this site, they were made some time ago, I travelled down to Essex years ago and bought one off the bloke who made them, good on hammered etc, but now dated, not sure if he is still making them. try searching this site. Depth wise I recall they were equal to the tesoro silver saber etc which I think they were based on, would pick hammered up to about 8-9 ".

Pantaxoa

Post by Pantaxoa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply Bob. Interesting points that you make. The detectors are still being built and the current model is the SM45. From what you say, I guess performance is similar to some Tesoro models and 8-9 inches on hammered, doesn't sound too shabby. I'm not in a hurry to buy one and there are other makes out there, but a beep and dig machine does appeal to me and having visited the website this one caught my interest.

Saxo45

Post by Saxo45 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:24 pm

I know this thread is old but i've just bought one of these machines so i thought i'd provide a little info on them.
I have'nt used it in the field yet as i have just developed a hernia and the digging would'nt do it much good, but i have done some testing in the garden.My garden can't exactly be classed as soil,more like building spoil.....full of nasties that make it difficult to pick anything up in.
A little on the build quality.You can see that these machines are built by hand,things don't line up exactly such as the control box and the main box but this is not a problem as the actual build quality is second to none.This machine will be working after i'm gone i would think.
The controls consist of an on/off toggle switch on the main battery box and a gain,discrim knob and all metal/disctim switch on a seperate small box near the handle.
Set to 0 discrim,my machine knocks out most of the smaller iron items that you are likely to encounter on a typical search.......i would prefer that 0 means 0 so that i can set the iron discrim starting from no discrim at all.However even at this setting,the machine still maintains a good response to small silver coins.Sensitivity or gain can,on my machine,be set to the maximum position with no falsing issues whatsoever which is unusual.This means that my machine is a genuine switch on and go machine......discrim is left at zero,gain at just under maximum and all i have to do is switch on and go.
On my test items the machine responds well to buried small silver coins in difficult soil conditions and will pick up a viccy silver threepence at 4 inches with a good signal.This does'nt sound like much but with all the rubbish in my soil its an achievement and more than my explorer will do on a factory setting.
I think this is where i will do well with the machine.......on small silver in difficult conditions.......it is not a machine for mega deep targets although it will do ok on large pennies or similar......just don't expect explorer depths.
Overall i think i am going to enjoy this detector......it's as simple to operate as it gets,built better than most other machines and responds well to targets in difficult conditions while ignoring most iron....not too bad at all.

Saxo45

Post by Saxo45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Another update.......this machine is brilliant on wet salt sand.I took it to our local harbour where there is a lot of iron and it performed faultlessley.Again,not as deep as some but it runs silent,ignores big iron and still picks up small items.Not as deep as a minelab on clean beaches but will whupp its butt on a trashy harbour site.

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am

I just picked up a SM40. I had one in 1998 excellent machine, David Smith who makes them still can service them and offers the current model SM45 for £350.

The only real difference between the models is the control box is rear mounted and controls are on stem and has a ext speaker on the SM45 compared to the SM40.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by norfolksquit on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Using: Equinox 800 - Cscope 1MX

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 am

My opinion.
I would say these machines are excellent/ had one to use many years ago, and have been seriously thinking on purchasing the sm45. They Maybe an old school type looking detector, but I wouldn't use the words outdated ;;z just because they don't have all the bells and whistles and not everyman and his dog has one/ the machine to be seen with, does not mean the performance isn't up there with the rest, if not better in certain field type searching, British made/ hand built/ with top performance ::g

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm

hello, interesting, let us know how you get on with the saxon, i see the do a bigger coil ? is that for the 45 ? cannot find out much about them. cheers

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:27 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm
hello, interesting, let us know how you get on with the saxon, i see the do a bigger coil ? is that for the 45 ? cannot find out much about them. cheers
Not sure, you would have to email David Smith old chap!
Currently Using: Equinox 800 - Cscope 1MX

bob the diggerer

Post by bob the diggerer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am

diggerdave1 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 am
My opinion.
I would say these machines are excellent/ had one to use many years ago, and have been seriously thinking on purchasing the sm45. They Maybe an old school type looking detector, but I wouldn't use the words outdated ;;z just because they don't have all the bells and whistles and not everyman and his dog has one/ the machine to be seen with, does not mean the performance isn't up there with the rest, if not better in certain field type searching, British made/ hand built/ with top performance ::g
I fully agree, Maybe I used the wrong word when describing 'Dated' in my original response post, what I meant by this was with the introduction of wireless technology,headphones etc.

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:53 am

::g

Pantaxoa

Post by Pantaxoa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi everyone.
I've only just realised that there have been new contributions to this thread - thanks for all of your input. I'm pleased to see that Saxon detectors are highly regarded and I think that I'll get one at some point- Although machines with a display are tempting, I think sound only machines are the way forward for me - looking at a screen seems to override my hearing and I've probably missed some good items as a result.
Cheers.

Return to “Other Brands Forum”