Just some fun tests with the GM5+SE

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
Mud Max

Just some fun tests with the GM5+SE

Post by Mud Max » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 am

Nothing too heavy here, not making any silly claims. Just playing around and making sure the machine does what it should. To be honest though I do like this detector. It's nicely put together, it has an easy to understand menu with some nice user options, and the price is good. I just wish it would rain so I can give it a proper day in the fields. I have had a couple of hunts and it's done well, but I'm done until the weather changes. Anyway, here it is.

Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

RossDG

Re: Just some fun tests with the GM5+SE

Post by RossDG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am

Nice video; glad to see you found the same as I do with disc depth and little roman coins.

Also intereseting that your 5+ has 3 levels of P.Box? Only on or off on mine. I find that the graph goes mad if there is thin flat iron.

Cheers for the vid though, very useful. ::g
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 pm

RossDG wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am
Nice video; glad to see you found the same as I do with disc depth and little roman coins.

Also intereseting that your 5+ has 3 levels of P.Box? Only on or off on mine. I find that the graph goes mad if there is thin flat iron.

I think disc depth of about 4 is probably a good idea for UK hunts on average soils, would you agree?

The three levels of power box is a new feature for the SE, they explain it as medium for average sites, low for bad ground, high for quiet ground. It really drops off on the low. I find it odd that there's not a true sensitivity control on these machines, probably why they wanted more alteration in the P Box, just a theory.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 pm
RossDG wrote:

I think disc depth of about 4 is probably a good idea for UK hunts on average soils, would you agree?

The three levels of power box is a new feature for the SE, they explain it as medium for average sites, low for bad ground, high for quiet ground. It really drops off on the low. I find it odd that there's not a true sensitivity control on these machines, probably why they wanted more alteration in the P Box, just a theory.
Yeah, disc depth of 4 - 5 seems about right (I'm running 5 on a trashy roman site) and as in one of your vids I have the discrim down at -4 - just to clean up the iffy signals. I can't decide yet if I getter better results on single or bi-tone though. Nice to see some discussion and tips on these machines, I am growing to really like it after nearly giving up after the first couple of outings! Definitely good for small roman coins, but like most machines gets fooled by big iron. ::g
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Mud Max wrote:
RossDG wrote:

I know its a bit of fun.

I noticed in video disc depth depth 0 and 15 appeared very similar but 4 sounded crisper..

Its a good idea the take a few steps back from the test target and walk fowards and sweep as you would in the field and see how they latch on to the target.

As an example i have a 5.75" and 10" coil both pick up a pre decimal half penny at 10" if you wiggle the coil over the target.

However if you stand back and walk forwards and you swing as you would in the field the results are different.

The 10" will latch on to it every time. The smaller coil will not.

Have anther detector and that also will pick up the target. But not with setting that are usable in the field. Works fine on my lawn. But the discrimination is too low and sensativity too high to be usable.

Like the explination of the three beeps. Also on youtube they use nice shiny very thin nails and large coins. The signal from the coin is much larger than the thin section of the nail any detector would give the same result.

A cut half next to a horseshoe is always been half the coil diameter regardless of which machine i have tried

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm

RossDG wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm
Mud Max wrote:
RossDG wrote:

Yeah, disc depth of 4 - 5 seems about right (I'm running 5 on a trashy roman site) and as in one of your vids I have the discrim down at -4 - just to clean up the iffy signals. I can't decide yet if I getter better results on single or bi-tone though. Nice to see some discussion and tips on these machines, I am growing to really like it after nearly giving up after the first couple of outings! Definitely good for small roman coins, but like most machines gets fooled by big iron. ::g
Yes I think disc about minus 4 is better too
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Koala wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm
Mud Max wrote:
RossDG wrote:

I know its a bit of fun.

I noticed in video disc depth depth 0 and 15 appeared very similar but 4 sounded crisper..

Its a good idea the take a few steps back from the test target and walk fowards and sweep as you would in the field and see how they latch on to the target.

As an example i have a 5.75" and 10" coil both pick up a pre decimal half penny at 10" if you wiggle the coil over the target.

However if you stand back and walk forwards and you swing as you would in the field the results are different.

The 10" will latch on to it every time. The smaller coil will not.

Have anther detector and that also will pick up the target. But not with setting that are usable in the field. Works fine on my lawn. But the discrimination is too low and sensativity too high to be usable.

Like the explination of the three beeps. Also on youtube they use nice shiny very thin nails and large coins. The signal from the coin is much larger than the thin section of the nail any detector would give the same result.

A cut half next to a horseshoe is always been half the coil diameter regardless of which machine i have tried
Very true, a lot of tests are not really testing the machine IMHO
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Agreed

Some are done in good faith but don't understand about detecting.

Others have an ulterior motives usually bigging up one manufacture up against another.

Return to “Other Brands Forum”