New golden mask 5+

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
SMELLYJELLY

New golden mask 5+

Post by SMELLYJELLY » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 pm

ok so there's a new updated version of the golden mask 5 on the horizon. The new gm5+ boasts plenty of added features with gain and also the claim of some added 30% depth of a coin on edge ? I'm all for trying these other branded machines as I've recently added the deeptech vista warrior but unfortunately it's not for me, I like my screen and like some kind of idea on what I might be digging beforehand, and also it seems to love the coke and hot rock. But what I'm wondering is if there are many gm5 users who can recommend this machine and if they would upgrade to the newer version if it's that gd. Thanks all Sj.

Koala

Re: New golden mask 5+

Post by Koala » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

No idea on these newer machines

Did quite like the 1+ I had a play with. The 7" coil was superb.

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Eagerly waiting for some reviews on this . At €590. Euros it's not a bad price. Can get discounts which brings it down to €540 with choice of coil. Don't think they will be shipped til beginning of February so will expect the reviews sometime after that. Tried most of the gm models including tangra and Thracian. Found them all pretty good but settled on the gm1+uk for my needs. The gm5+ does sound tempting. Based on the claims and knowing how good these are anyway It could be a good machine.might just bite the bullet and get my order in. Will report back if i do. :-/

SMELLYJELLY

Post by SMELLYJELLY » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 am

There's been some quite good reviews of the gm5 so I'm hoping the all new version maybe with 12" coil might be a worth contender. A lot of good things are said of the gm1 and early models. You can only hope that things have got better. Sj

pistolpete

Post by pistolpete » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

I own a few top line machines, a ctx, a deus,fisher f75, and my latest edition is the gm5+.iv had the machine for a month now and I can honestly say I'm well impressed with it .You can get the gm5 even cheaper by going online to thrace detectors ,when yo complete your order go to the bottom of the order and put in the discount code (thracian ), this will give you a discount of 10%. Postage is 17 euros, the whole thing should come to 470 pounds Stirling after discount.this includes any choice of coil in the range plus cordless headphones. P's be careful if you order your machine without cordless headphones, you can't order them later for your machine, as they're matched as a set with the electronics fitted in the factory. Good hunting! .

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 pm

pistolpete wrote:I own a few top line machines, a ctx, a deus,fisher f75, and my latest edition is the gm5+.iv had the machine for a month now and I can honestly say I'm well impressed with it .You can get the gm5 even cheaper by going online to thrace detectors ,when yo complete your order go to the bottom of the order and put in the discount code (thracian ), this will give you a discount of 10%. Postage is 17 euros, the whole thing should come to 470 pounds Stirling after discount.this includes any choice of coil in the range plus cordless headphones. P's be careful if you order your machine without cordless headphones, you can't order them later for your machine, as they're matched as a set with the electronics fitted in the factory. Good hunting! .
You can pair a set up later if you dont want or cant afford them at the time it involves opening your battery box but it can be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt3kxPK ... e=youtu.be

pistolpete

Post by pistolpete » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:55 pm

There has been an issue with gas falling, make sure your coil cable is well tight into the control box, then gently wiggle the coil cable to make sure it's not falling! .

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Had the 5+ a few months now and getting to grips with it. There are good and bad points. It's simple to use and set up. Nice and balanced. Ground balancing is key to this detector in my opinion and is advised to keep check on this as you move over the ground. Seemed to find manual gb to be the best way. Tones are smooth and clear. The thing I found was that I was trying to run it too hot which can make it unstable. Especially on mineralized ground. It's a much more enjoyable experience when you back off the threshold my settings are as follows
18khz
Bi tonal
Threshold 18
Power box high
Gain 2
Ground balance 78 on my ground.
This machine is deep even on minimal setting.
It can be cranked up on clean ground I've had threshold at 25 and I could cope with the chatter as signals come through load and clear. The spectrum graph give a lot of info that can help id targets not always accurate but the more you use it the more it can be deciphered. The spectrum graph is very handy when working in all metal mode as one tone for all targets. This mode gets that little bit deeper and then the graph and numbers can be used as back up as you lose the tone I'd. It has good discrimination as most gm machines but can be fooled by deep flat iron and iron rings like washers. There is a slight zingy sound over these targets but not enough to stop you digging the target ,so you will dig some iron. As with most machines the deeper the good targets the iffyer the sound. But this machine brings through deeper targets with a nice tone better than most machines. Been digging Vicky pennies and half pennies at 9-10 inches no problem ,nice and clear. Hammys coming through at 6-7 inches. Nice and clear. After these depths they will still be digable targets but maybe a bit sketchy on the graph and tone. Pennies come through at 74 , half pennies at 69 hammered penny at about 45. The height of the spikes on the graph indicate depth of target tall spikes are shallow short are deeper. Got a bit more to do with the depth disc mode. This may we'll prove usefull as and when you know the ground your working and I'm sure will sharpen up the tones on deeper targets. For now I'm using depth disc setting at 8.. A few bad things. First is that it doesn't like being knocked or jolted it will false when this happens more so if your running it too hot. Hot rocks come through at 84 and give a pretty good signal but does have a different sound but takes some getting used too. Watch out for battery indicator it can be at half way then soon after it will be dead and power off. And lastly the screen will fog a little in hot weather. It's meant to be shower proof so not sure what's going on there. The good points out way the bad and I really like it. If your patient and learn it it will find and go deep. But it won't be forced. Match the settings to the ground conditions. Trying to get its full power will only result in you wanting to throw it in a skip. My advice is drop the threshold and power settings until it is stable you will enjoy the experience more and you'll still be surprised at its abilities.

Return to “Other Brands Forum”