Danger UXB ! 'Bomb Finders' Please Read

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules

Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....
H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Dave8472

Danger UXB ! 'Bomb Finders' Please Read

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Danger UXB ! (Un-Exploded Bomb)

Hi all, seem to be a lot of dangerous looking ordinance coming out the ground lately with an ever increasing amount of people taking them home and doing a clean up on the kitchen table. :-O

Now a lot of this stuff could be harmless chunks of metal but who knows, and I am as keen as anyone to research war history, I am dreading the day when something might explode in someone’s house, maiming either themselves or their family. :(

I don’t wish to be an alarmist but you guys need to be much more careful with this stuff until you have found out what it is.

For anyone wanting to have a tiny insight in to what some of this stuff can do and how unstable something might be why not have a look at this TV Series from 1979, it’s called Danger UXB, I know this is a drama series, and I don’t want to make light of such events, but it showed lots of bomb defusing and how sensitive they could be :-w

Link : Danger UXB DVD

Link : Also the Forum Thread on Finding Live Ammunition

Dave

Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

brummbar

Re: Danger UXB !

Post by brummbar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Just today in Belgium during works in a former cokes factory a fosforous bomb was unearthed.The damned things started burning right away.Fireservice,police and DOVO(=Belgian bomb disposal service) cordoned a wide area.At the moment they are letting the bomb burn itself out.Afterwards Dovo will remove and destroy the rest of the bomb.Having been through 2 worldwars,Belgiums soil keeps the bomb disposers working on a daily basis .Each year tons of unexploded bombs and ammo are still removed for disposal.
So I agree,find something suspicious or 'bomb/shell' looking.mark the place and call the police :D .Ain't worth losing parts or worse...

Christoph1945

Re: Danger UXB ! 'Bomb Finders' Please Read

Post by Christoph1945 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 pm

As our hobby gathers more and more new recruits, many of whome choose beach detecting as an easy option, the chances of one of us unearthing something of a real nasty nature must be increasing. The fact that many of us are also using deep seeking PI macines on wet sand; must also increase the chances!

Perhaps we could have a locked thread that shows and ilustrates the kind of item that may turn up, and how it could look after 70 yrs under the sand, or earth. The locked thread would also give exact advice and guidance for action to be taken upon finding said items.

I was stunned when I read about the American who was killed whilst renovating a Civil War cannon ball on his front drive. I also, recently, obtained permission to post a photo of a British WW2 anti-tank mine that was washed up on a Norfolk beach. ( Not so long ago! ) That landmine turned out to partially safe, but the one that turned up a year or so later was a real killer!

I do have a plan of action; should I ever come across said nasties. Having spent over seven years hunting for IID's and IED's; I have a healthy respect for ordnance of any kind.

Chris

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Good thread. My contribution shall be short.

I have been recovering WW2 relics for many years now and have one golden rule.

IF YOU CANNOT BE 100% CERTAIN THE RELIC IS 'SAFE' or 'INERT', LEAVE THE DAMN THING ALONE !

And I mean......One Hundred Percent, not 'it's probably ok' or 'it looks like ordnance but might not be'. Trust me, it almost certainly isn't 'ok' and almost certainly IS ordnance.

Please please PLEASE stop taking things home and posting them on this forum to be IDd. Take a picture of it in situ and post THAT picture here. Then, if it is 100% ID'd as safe, go back and get it.

I've lost track of the number of times I've had to tell people that what they have in their house is LIVE and quite capable of atomising them and their family.

DON'T BE THE NEXT !
www.stephentaylorhistorian.com

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg"

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 pm

If in doubt shout. (or at least call the Police)
http://www.lostrings.co.uk
"Only once a find is recorded is it truly discovered, and through recording finds with the PAS metal-detecting can make a truly positive contribution to archaeology" British Museum.
RINGS returned 2014=19 Not found = 8

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Bump
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

ghandi1945

Post by ghandi1945 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:17 pm

people are completley right just leave things alone if you dont know it isnt worth it at all.

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Can I take this H.Image
Uppsss Guess not..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

jesterjim

Post by jesterjim » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm

bump

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:21 am

Dirt-fishing wrote:Good thread...

However, we are not all experts on UXO and even things that i was certain were safe have proved to turn out not to be. (i.e. the possibility of the primer being live in an empty shell casing that i found recently).

It is only through the information provided by the experts on this site that we can possibly find out these things and therefore whilst i reinforce the need to leave something alone if you dont know what it is, i would also ask that any such advice that is offered to the people that may have unintentionally bought home something that is considered to be live is still provided in a helpful and supportive way.

Like i said, we cant all be experts...

Regards

Dirt-fishing
I think you've hit the nail on the head DF. We are not all experts and as said already the ONLY recourse should you unearth something that YOU are not sure of is to LEAVE IT and contact the Police immediately.
Would you honestly want to trust the advice of a total stranger? I think not.

Be SURE. Be SAFE! ::g
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

grumpyjohn

Post by grumpyjohn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:17 am

A few years ago I found what was identified by the bomb disposal as a 6lb British practice bomb from WW2. I went with them to show where it was and watched while it was blown up!! It left a crater 3 feet deep and about 10 feet wide in the sand so yes, be very careful with ordnance and if in doubt leave it alone and get advice. ::g
Better to live a rich life and die poor than live a poor life and die rich

jesterjim

Post by jesterjim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm

bump

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Can we make this sticky guys, save us from having to bump it all the time ?

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:21 pm

RRPG wrote:Can we make this sticky guys, save us from having to bump it all the time ?

Done ::g

Dave
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:08 am

Bump
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:25 am

LOL !!! Machinist......it's sticky !

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:02 am

RRPG wrote:LOL !!! Machinist......it's sticky !
Only in the Military Ordnance section :(( if you join the site using http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it is nowhere to be seen.
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:28 am

Machinist wrote:Only in the Military Ordnance section :(( if you join the site using http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it is nowhere to be seen.
Dear mods. As this continues to be an issue perhaps it should get stuck somewhere on the main board in big red letters - disclaimer or such like - DO NOT BRING IT HOME IF YOU THINK IT MAY BE EXPLOSIVE RELATED! :-w

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi all, something of interest from the UXB WWII stuff

A large size version can be downloaded here (1.6Mb)

UXB.pdf

Dave s;..

Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

[quote="Dave8472"]Hi all, something of interest from the UXB WWII stuff

So do we take the stuff home to make safe Dave or do it in situ ? =)) =)) =)) =)) ::g

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 pm

I love the note 'Picric exploder pellets' :) :) :)

So if you do manage to get the fuze out, you die instantly from cyanide poisoning. :-O :-O :-O

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 pm

It does make you think that it was pretty much that book in front of you and one slip

Boom :-O :(

Deffo not to be tried ;;z If you find one of those run away first ::g

Dave s;..
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I was amazed when I learned how manny sappers were killed clearing our beaches of landmines following WWII!

Even with all their training, equipment, and military support...............they sometimes got it wrong.

Chris

3pinplug

Post by 3pinplug » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi all
Unfortunately we're encouraged to take home everything we dig as a responsible detectorist (don't start attacking this statement you know what I'm saying), now there are genuine people who bring something home that doesn't look like ordanance only to post on here for ID and get both barrels so to speak. So if they find anything again are they likely to post again for identification - I think not!
So rather than keep lecturing why doesn't the forum actually do as one of the previous members said and post a folder of the more common finds and actually identify them and be "Pro-active" for a change rather than "Re-active", which have to say your very good at.
Just my 10p worth.....
Mark
Cscope CS4ZX

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 pm

People are rarely given both barrels. Those that are have made statements that show they knew it was ordnance, but took it home anyway. This thread is not about lecturing those who take home items that don't look like ordnance, but is about lecturing those who have an idea what it is but take it home anyway.

As for making a thread showing what is safe and what isn't, I'm afraid it is never going to happen. The sheer volume of American, British and German stuff that could be found would amount to a thread containing upwards of 200 photos. This will help no-one. I have been asked to do it in the past but declined for this reason, AND because whilst I have a lot of knowledge about ordnance, it is not my profession and I don't want people saying 'yes, it has removed my hand but RRPGs thread said it was safe to handle'.

As for being re-active, do you mean as in your own reply ? I for one have helped a great many members of this forum, and prevented serious injury due to live ordnance being taken home in 3 cases. I find your comments quite unjustified and, to be honest, offensive. Would you prefer I stop 'reacting' and just let people blow themselves and their kids up ???

Obviously the next time you find a piece of ordnance you will take it home and smack it with a hammer just to be sure it's safe, something which I am sure you're very good at.

RRPG

3pinplug

Post by 3pinplug » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:42 am

RRPG,
Firstly no need to take my comments so personally I didn't name you in my post, my comments are my view to say why I felt we needed a folder.
With regard to the folder of items, surely there is something that can be done here i.e if a photo has been taken of something later found to be a nasty, could these not be put in a folder of nasties where police or UXB have been contacted, understand that you would not want anyone saying you told them an item is safe, but surely even if 10 pics were in there of this nature it would be 10 items that have been identified and handled by the experts, yes know they even get it wrong but they will say whether it is safe or not. Surely something is better than nothing?
Its clear this areas is a very emotive subject so when you make a direct personnally aimed comment like :-
Obviously the next time you find a piece of ordnance you will take it home and smack it with a hammer just to be sure it's safe, something which I am sure you're very good at.
I could take offence but I won't, as I'm sure deep down you wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Mark
Cscope CS4ZX

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 am

3pinplug wrote:Hi all
Unfortunately we're encouraged to take home everything we dig as a responsible detectorist (don't start attacking this statement you know what I'm saying), now there are genuine people who bring something home that doesn't look like ordnance only to post on here for ID and get both barrels so to speak. So if they find anything again are they likely to post again for identification - I think not!
So rather than keep lecturing why doesn't the forum actually do as one of the previous members said and post a folder of the more common finds and actually identify them and be "Pro-active" for a change rather than "Re-active", which have to say your very good at.
Just my 10p worth.....
Mark
I didn't initially respond to your post as Steve said all I would have done in his reply. Mark, there has never been an issue with anyone posting here something they don't know what it is, the problem has been people posting known ordnance, but just don't know if it live or not, and if you had seen these topics, you may have taken a slightly different view, some of these topics have been removed from the forum for various reasons. It is an emotive subject, and I would rather upset someone than a person get injured, I make no apology for this. Much discussion about ordnance have been discussed behind the scenes, and the best way forward we thought was education. Now none of us are experts on this subject we will only guide where we can. But a few on here have far more knowledge on this subject than others, but people will only offer advice as no one wants to be quoted as saying something is safe and OK to keep. You idea of a database as a reference is a great idea, but as Steve has said, we are worried about being quoted as something being show as safe possibly not being. So we would rather judge each case on its merits and advice given at the time on a case for case basis. Again as stated in other threads, no one should fear posting an unknown object for ID help, but as adults we all need to take some responsibility for our own actions, and a common sense approach to handling the unknown. People chipping away with a hammer on the kitchen table with something bomb shaped are going to come in for criticism, and if that offends them, I would rather they not post it on the forum.

On the theme of your post I did take this personally as my overall intension was peoples personal safety, as a moderator off course I will always come in for criticism as not everybody would agree with my views, can't please everyone. If anyone has issues with this I would prefer people to use the PM system, as the forum isn't the place to discus moderating issues. ( posting suggestions is fine)

Dave s;..
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am

3pinplug wrote:Hi all
Unfortunately we're encouraged to take home everything we dig as a responsible detectorist (don't start attacking this statement you know what I'm saying), now there are genuine people who bring something home that doesn't look like ordanance only to post on here for ID and get both barrels so to speak. So if they find anything again are they likely to post again for identification - I think not!
Just my 10p worth.....
Mark
Hey 3pinplug,
Calm down man! Indeed it is the unwritten maxim of the responible MD to take all those ring pulls home with him/her. But when it comes to anything "iffy" then the sensible thing to do is take a photo of it - don't have to be David Bailey. Then post it on here for discussion.

But, if it is "iffy" then it is foolish to take it home. Easy enough nowadays to mark it's position and rebury it - it you've just found something after 70 odd years then it ought to be safe enough where it is while you phone plod (if you're really worried about it) or wait for a thumbs up from members here.

W. [:)

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Mmmm, do the MOD or the UXO guys have a site were we could perhaps see photographs of ordnance that they have attended to. Having an old school chum who blew off several fingers with a home made pipe-bomb and having spent seven years in aviation security; I have a healthy respect for all ordnance.

Take a peep at one of my early posts " Some landmine education please" and you will see that the initial response was a little less than helpful. I understand the dangers involved with UXO and also understand the teams need to keep a safe forum that gives no missleading information or advice.

I believe that it is only a matter of time before someone is injoured or killed by UXO. Perhaps we can delay that moment by building a locked portfolio of nasties. Or even invite the MOD to do so.

Chris ::g

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Christoph1945 wrote:...Perhaps we can delay that moment by building a locked portfolio of nasties. Or even invite the MOD to do so.

Chris ::g
If you want to ask the MOD for pictures of stuff they've been called out to take away then the next question will be, why do you need to know? Where exactly are you digging etc etc.

As I'm sure has been said on here before, more than once - a dangerous bullet, bomb what you will could look like almost anything but the original shape, colour etc it was when originally made. To produce a gallery of pictures of dangerous items would serve little help, and would not prevent a disaster happening.

Once more. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT BELIEVE IT "MIGHT" BE DANGEROUS, THEN LEAVE IT ALONE! ;f

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”