Any ideas on these lead slugs?

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules

Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....
H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
LuckyB

Any ideas on these lead slugs?

Post by LuckyB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:16 am

I've found a few of these on a beach near an old WW1/WW2 Naval base, I've found a few other bullets (.577 Snider and .450 Martini Henry) and musket balls in the same area and a flattened example of the large one, so I'm reasonably confident they are bullets, but from what? They are both solid lead, they seem to have a spru/casting mark on the base, there is no rifling markets but they have vague flats on the sides, although the pictures don't show this very well. The large one is 40g approx 16.6mm (0.65") diameter and has a continuous circumferential groove. The smaller one is 27.5g approx 14.5-14.8mm (0.57-0.58") diameter and a partial circumferential groove. Found with an Equinox 800 on B1, Thanks for any help.
lead slugs base.jpg
lead slugs side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GeorgeMK

Re: Any ideas on these lead slugs?

Post by GeorgeMK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:51 am

The smaller one might be for a .577 Tranter revolver cartridge, or for a howdah pistol cartridge.

I don’t know about the larger one, but .65 was a carbine and pistol calibre for muzzle loaders, although I think both bullets are more likely to be for early cartridge arms, as bullets (as opposed to plain ball) for muzzle loaders usually had a base cavity or plug to assist expansion in the bore after firing.

The groove could be a grease cannelure or for case crimping, or if they were intended for muzzle loading it might be a string groove to attach a paper tube that contained the powder charge.

They could both be home cast, which might explain the remains of a casting sprue.

The flats could be the rifling marks. There are many different forms of early rifling, and some have very wide shallow grooves and lands which may appear as flats.

jarrett

Post by jarrett » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Dated crows foot marked ruler, nice.

LuckyB

Post by LuckyB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:00 am

That’s great info George, I’d never heard of a .577 Tranter or a Howdah, but from what I can google they are definite possibilities. The Tranter looks the most likely candidate, they both certainly sound like fierce some beasts! I had wondered about the calibers but I was only familiar with the “official” British military rounds and I hadn’t thought about the possibility that they were for some privately purchased side arm. Someone had mentioned polygonal rifling to explain the flat sides but I couldn’t find anything in these large calibers that fitted with the age. The site has turned up some other unusual bullets so I’ll have to share a few of those and get your thoughts.

I know Jarrett, just showing off, I found it in an old tool box!

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”