Painless headphones?

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
liamnolan

Painless headphones?

Post by liamnolan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 am

Hi all, I have had problems in the past with full cup phones that squash the ear and cause pain. I now use the Deus backphones which are super but a detecting friend has the same problem with another machine, cheers, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary European Council for Metal Detecting

bob79

Re: Painless headphones?

Post by bob79 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am

Xp Blue back phones Liam, work great with any machine, lighter than Deus back phones. Bargain at around £12.

Bob [:)

NeverWntd2Dance

Post by NeverWntd2Dance » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:13 am

bob79 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am
Xp Blue back phones Liam, work great with any machine, lighter than Deus back phones. Bargain at around £12.

Bob [:)

Yeh I love these, been using them for a while as I was fed up with sweaty sore ears (and hair =)) )
Etrac & Laser Hawkeye
Garrett pro-pointer
Aardvark spade
Member of South Yorkshire MDC :)
+ Plenty of hope and enthusiasm 98;

budwieser

Post by budwieser » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am

Hi Mate, Got a set of Xp Blue back phones here doing nothing if you want to swing by and pick them up.!
I`m off all of next week if that helps.
Cheers.
Neil. ::g ::g
XP Deus, WS 4`s Evo pro cut digger and spade. Makro Propointer Lots of Red Wine.!
PC and Laptop Repairs, Screen Replacements, Upgrades Etc. Also Some Data Recovery.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for the advice folks!
Thanks Neil, may give you a bell! X-Trail front wiper motor needs changing as the wipers have gone bonkers but I will try to get to you, hope you are well? All the very best, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary European Council for Metal Detecting

klondyke

Post by klondyke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Never had a problem with ws5s apart from the price.
deus with ws5 phones
minelab explorer se pro
fisher 1265x
15" wot coil
8x6" sef
detech ultimate 13"
predator and chefphones

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I dislike using headphones of any kind, but when I have to, I just use a cheap pair of no-name earbuds with built-in volume control.

Barry
Primary: XP Deus
Backup: C.SCOPE CS6MXi
"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 pm

The XP Blue back-phones, in my opinion, are cracking performers producing the clearest audio responses over a wide range of target signals and also have an 'in-line' volume control. As 'bob79' states, they are a real bargain at the price (circa £12) and it's definitely worth considering keeping a set with you in case of mishaps. [:) Good Luck. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 am

The FX Blue back phones from XP are one of the best bits of detector kit I have ever bought. Brilliant value for the price.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 am

As a back-up to the WS4's, I also have some XP blue back phones which are in fact even more comfortable than the WS4's. Would be difficult to go back from wireless though. :)

bob79

Post by bob79 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 am

Gary from Xp prefers the tones of the Back phones to the Ws4's, use the clip jack adaptor pop headphone puck in a pocket off you go.
If you get the chance Liam try a pair on your GMP.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:19 pm

painless head phones? ... just like a painless spouse ... I dont think such a thing exists!

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 pm

I wear a Ron Thomson fishing waistcoat, brilliant because they are very short so you have access to lower pockets, bags etc. There is a sleeve inside on the right, which is where the WS4 puck neatly drops into when using my blue back phones. I never even know there's a small cable involved while I'm hunting, perfect.
Xp Deus 11" coil

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Even better than the backphones, and also much lighter, are the JVC ha-eb75 head phones available from Sainsbury's for around £8-00. I have bought two sets of these as they are that good. ::g

BM [:)
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 pm
Even better than the backphones, and also much lighter, are the JVC ha-eb75 head phones available from Sainsbury's for around £8-00. I have bought two sets of these as they are that good. ::g

BM [:)
Nice if you like in-ear buds. Bit too intense for me, and once you get to FX back phones your talking very light. You won't go far wrong with JVC though and for £8 you can't grumble. I'm not surprised you recommend them. It's amazing the quality you can get in those tiny buds these days.

If I ever give ear buds another go I'll give those a try mate.
Xp Deus 11" coil

fred

Post by fred » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 am

In my opinion headphones are one of the most important bits of detecting kit that you can buy. If cheap ones work for you then fine but in general you get what you pay for. ::g

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 am

fred wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 am
In my opinion headphones are one of the most important bits of detecting kit that you can buy. If cheap ones work for you then fine but in general you get what you pay for. ::g

I see where your coming from there, I really do. The old saying is true that you get what you pay for. But I think it's also fair to say that the sound on modern headphones is incredible. Therefore, you can get a lot of great audio for a small amount these days.

I think it's just as important to find what is comfortable for you, and what replicates the manufacturers phones that you intend to replace.

Ok here goes, metal detecting is not Beethovens 6th symphony on a posh stereo, as long as your headphones are crisp and clear then you have what you need. My theory is based on the FX blue back phones. Look at how cheap they are, and how simple they are, but they are excellent, because they transfer the same sounds as you get from the WS4's. Nothing fancy.

It's not about having something complicated or expensive, it's about having something that replicates the tones, and you don't have to spend a lot to get that. Ironically cheap and less complicated can actually be more effective.

If you have phones that sound good but are not comfortable, try a few low cost options over buried targets to see what matches best. If you find a good match then job done. Maybe a basic set may actually do want you want.

You could pay a lot of money and still not be happy, I have heard this so many times. Making the right choice is important, but the more you spend the bigger the risks !
Xp Deus 11" coil

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”