Lets talk about headphones...

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
TinDigger

Lets talk about headphones...

Post by TinDigger »

Looking to get a set of headphones for the Simplex but in a real dilemma. I don't like full over-ear types as I find them far too isolating. I'm of the opinion you need to know what's going on around you when in a field after getting butted on my backside about 5 years ago from a testosterone fueled ram! There's a story I need to tell you one day... damned thing kept me hostage for almost an hour ;)). Cows can be real dangerous too.

Anyway, the Simplex does have 2.4Ghz bluetooth built in but it's locked to the propriety Nokta Macro green or blue headphones, and of course they are all large over-ear items.

That leaves me with the option of wired which is a royal pain in the jacksy or aftermarket bluetooth transmitter and headset. You can get a decent set for around £50 but the big problem is latency. Can be up to as much as 250ms which doesn't sound like a lot but believe me it is when you are in full swing. There are aptX LL versions of the transmitters fairly widely available but hardly any compatible on-ear or in-ear headphones.

What are your guys opinions on headphones - which type to do you prefer?

Ten pence!

Re: Lets talk about headphones...

Post by Ten pence! »

I use earbuds with my Equinox 600 and can no longer tolerate headphones!
Specifically Sennheiser CX BT6.00, they are quite expensive for what they are but the sound quality is superior to any of my wired headsets and being APT-X LL 4.2 the lag is an imperceptible 32ms.

No idea if they will pair with your Simplex though! :D

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Just starting out myself and have the Simplex to . I got the green edition wireless headphones as I couldn't find any information that anything else would be compatible with the Simplex . If I'm honest although they seem comfortable enough as over ear phones go , I to dont like being unaware of what's going on around me , and then theres the sweaty ears . If there was an alternative for the Simplex I would be very interested to hear about it .

principia

Post by principia »

For that reason I do use the blue wired backphones of XP
(I connect the WS4 module on it). Also pricewice (18 euro).
To make it wireless you will need a receiver module that connects with the build in transmitter or a tranmitter/receiver set eg. from garrett.
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus , 11" X35, hf eliptical
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer, XP MI-6

Bors

Post by Bors »

This is your answer. Its sold as an accessory for the Anfibio /Kruzer by most Makro/Nokta retailers but if yours has the same connection to your Simplex detector ,which I suspect it has, this will allow you to use any "ordinary" 1/4" jacked set of headphones you choose. I do use the green type Nokta wireless headphones ,but on occasion, I do like to change to my "Black Widows " instead in the Cold weather,and also places where noise cancellation is a must (in fields by busy roads) so my first choice will be my Black Widows headphones with this connector for the Anfibio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Thanks for the replies. I do have the wired headphone adapter pictured above but like most I guess, find wired headsets fairly inconvenient when you are constantly putting the detector down. The wire is always getting tangled. You can use that adapter to plug an aftermarket Bluetooth transmitter in if you want to use Bluetooth earbuds etc, but that’s where you have to watch out for the latency issues.

I think most of the Equinox detectors have an open Bluetooth protocol, i.e you can connect any Bluetooth headphones to them just like you would a smartphone etc but the Simplex doesn’t appear to go into pairing mode unless it can see a specific signal from the Nokta headsets first, which is a bit frustrating.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Well,the other option would be to use a Nokta /Makro EZ wander Bluetooth unit to assist with another none Nokta/ headphone unit which is the equivalent to Minelabs WM08 unit used on the Equinox. But you`ll still have a "short length "of wire going to that module when either of those is used. Manufacturers want you to use their brand products and will often make life more "difficult" to use any other brands similar accessories. Sometimes its a fact we just have to accept if the pairing is not going straight forward, because, at the end of the day , you want a smooth course of action rather than a unit playing up because it's not detecting its own brand being used.

I`ve heard good reports of people using Avantree aptX LOW LATENCY Wireless Headphones with detectors saying that there is virtually no lag at all, but I`ve not tried them to say for definite that the reports are accurate.And of course, you say the "Connecting" with the Simplex is the problem so again its a case of you`d have to TRY any set first to be sure ,and that's easier said than done .

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:25 pm
I use earbuds with my Equinox 600 and can no longer tolerate headphones!
Specifically Sennheiser CX BT6.00, they are quite expensive for what they are but the sound quality is superior to any of my wired headsets and being APT-X LL 4.2 the lag is an imperceptible 32ms.

No idea if they will pair with your Simplex though! :D
Soundpeats Q12 earbuds, around £20 if you search..... fantastic, no lag ..audio is perfect .
You should buy some as a back up ::g
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

I'm guessing that's the Q12 Plus? The HD version doesn't mention APTX Low Latency. I couldn't find the Plus version in stock anywhere when I looked a few months ago.

If the HD version work - I'll be having a pair! ::g

Looks the new APTX Adaptive will be the replace low latency and be backward compatible?
Last edited by Rocinante on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 600

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Think it was the +, can't remember now.
I'll check the box when I get in matey ::g
God - it’s ok

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Don't forget that aptX LL is a codec so BOTH the transmitter and the receiver must support it for it to work. Otherwise the headphones will just default to the basic SBC codec.

It's not clear what codecs the built in bluetooth on detectors like the Simplex+ or the Equinox use, but if it's not aptX LL then there is no point in having headphones that support it.

Saying all that, this graph would suggest there is very little difference between any of the codecs in terms of latency (when streaming from a smartphone at least) so who knows what the lag is on the detectors in the real world...
Bluetooth-Codec-Latency-by-Smartphone-e1554288678837.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

This BT transmitter/receiver drops to about £16 on Amazon quite often and is definitely APTX-LL. I use it with an Equinox. It means you can use your existing headphones too. There area a few different brands but are manufactured by SKYWING.

Search Amazon etc for SK-BTI-018

http://www.skywing-hk.com/cp/169-en.html

https://www.aptx.com/products/levn-sk-b ... er-all-one

Last edited by Rocinante on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 600

Bors

Post by Bors »

Rocinante wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:29 pm
This BT receiver drops to about £16 on Amazon quite often and is definitely APTX-LL. I use it with an Equinox. It means you can use your existing headphones too. There area a few different brands but are manufactured by SKYWING.

Search Amazon etc for SK-BTI-018

http://www.skywing-hk.com/cp/169-en.html

https://www.aptx.com/products/levn-sk-b ... er-all-one

How big are those "discs" above in circumference would you say? Or just the diameter if thats not available . ::g

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

50mm diameter. My only gripe is the On/Off button is really big so it's quite easy to accidentally turn it off in it's in a trouser pocket. Fine in a jacket or shirt pocket though. Battery life appears to be very good - longest I've used it in only about 5 hours. Spec says 14 hours but no idea how realistic that is.
puck.jpg
Equinox 600

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

This looks very similar APTX Low Latency (bluetooth 4.1 not 5.0) for £15.99 off Amazon -

search Amazon for B075XK3H8K and use the £3 voucher to get the price down.

OR £10 off Ebay!! Tempted to buy another one :))

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352775173284

Last edited by Rocinante on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 600

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Ideally though, don't you want something that is attached to the detector rather than on your body? Otherwise you just move the problem to the wire running from the headphone socket on the detector to the transmitter in your pocket constantly getting tangled / pulled.

This is the cheapest aptX LL one I found that you could tyrap to the detector...

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

The detector contains/is the transmitter - these are receivers that are in your pocket.

Ahhh.. Sorry - didn't realise that the Simplex uses proprietary bluetooth...

If you buy two of the £10 pucks you can set one to transmit and the other one in your pocket to receive.
Equinox 600

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Rocinante wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:38 pm
The detector contains/is the transmitter - these are receivers that are in your pocket.
Ah, OK. I think the problem a lot of us have though is that the detector won't pair with aftermarket Bluetooth modules (Equinox perhaps being the exception).

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

Not trying to take over your thread OP ::g but I've been through all this before when I made my Sovereign wireless. I used a £2.99 FM transmitter and the FM radio on my phone. Works flawlessly and in some ways better than BT as there's no delay, pairing issues or drop outs.
Equinox 600

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Rocinante wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:44 pm
Not trying to take over your thread OP ::g but I've been through all this before when I made my Sovereign wireless. I used a £2.99 FM transmitter and the FM radio on my phone. Works flawlessly and in some ways better than BT as there's no delay, pairing issues or drop outs.

Now that's an approach I had never considered!

Can you point me in the direction of any FM transmitters that you think might be suitable?

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

This is the same type I used but added a bigger Lithium battery to it. You could use a small power bank USB thingy to it I suppose?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Car-FM ... 3963771415?

I was going to do a 'how to' for this for Sovereign owners but there were a few things that needed tweaking so didn't bother.

One is the battery - the other issue I had was volume. The Sovereign kind of overloaded the audio of the transmitter so I had to put an inline headphone volume control between the machine and transmitter. It's only about another £2.

All a bit cobbled together and if I knew about the bluetooth TX/RX back then that is the route I would have went. £20 for two pucks with good battery is a steal!

In fact - I've just ordered an ebay one to try it with the Sov if you want to wait and see how I get on...
Equinox 600

Pete01

Post by Pete01 »

Rocinante wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am
I'm guessing that's the Q12 Plus? The HD version doesn't mention APTX Low Latency. I couldn't find the Plus version in stock anywhere when I looked a few months ago.

Looks the new APTX Adaptive will be the replace low latency and be backward compatible?
I also couldn't find the 'plus' version of the Sounpeats Q12 in stock anywhere either!- I did buy the HD version from Amazon to try and although they paired with my Equinox and appeared well made they weren't Low latency as the + symbol didn't show up on the Equinox screen and there was some lag!.

I tried a bluetooth adaptor from Tesco's that was labelled as Low latency but they wasn't either so I returned that and then bought the 'Trond V5 DUO transmitter/ receiever' from Amazon and that works perfectly without any noticeable lag!, and shows the low latency + symbol on the equinox screen!. I paid £25 for the transmitter/ receiver but Trond do a slightly cheaper version as well- I bought the Duo version becasue it has a volume control on the unit. I also bought a cheap set of wired earbuds from Asda and a small pouch that fits on the belt from Ebay for £2.99 so I could run the wire under my jacket to the pouch on my belt and that way the wire doesn't get in the way. If using laregr headphones and not earbuds then the trasmitter is small enough to attach to the headband of the headphones with either elastic bands or a small pouch like the one I bought which can just be attached via the belt loop!. It's quite a neat solution and converts any wired heaphones to bluetooth!.

Nokta Simplex users would have to plug the bluetooth adaptor in to the headphone socket of the detector and then either use bluetooth headphones or earbuds- or they could use any wired headphones/ earbuds if they buy an additional bluetooth adaptor to use with the headphones. It would be a little more hassle to use two bluetooth adaptors but it would solve the issue as you could use any headphones/ earbuds you wanted. Two bluetooth adaptors cost approx £50 and a decent set of wired earbuds from Asda can be bought for £8 so it still works out cheaper than buying some specific bluetooth or wireless headphones from a metal detector manufacturer!.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

These
God - it’s ok

Pete01

Post by Pete01 »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:17 pm
These
Yeah we know they exist! lol!- it's trying to find somewhere that has them in stock!. When I was looking for them a couple of months ago I couldn't find them anywhere in the usual places and it apears that other people had the same problem. When did you buy yours?.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Was an eBay purchase ::g
God - it’s ok

Pete01

Post by Pete01 »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:04 pm
Was an eBay purchase ::g
Ok thanks for the info ::g I had looked on Ebay as well before but couldn't find them on there at the time but I see theres a couple of listings on there now for the 'plus' model but they appear to go for higher prices now in the region of £38 plus. I'm wondering if Soundpeats have stopped making the plus model as theres very few of those about but theres loads of listings everywhere for the 'HD' model which isn't low latency.

I'm sorted now though as using the trond bluetooth adaptor which allows me to use earbuds that I prefer which have over the ear hooks which don't fall out when I'm detecting.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Just an observation. My sons have numerous devices that they use Bluetooth headphones and earbuds on, after trying them all on my Nox I came to the conclusion you get what you pay for, the very cheap ones, under a tenner, either refused to pair or sounded awful, the stuff under £30 all worked but again the audio was shall we say an acquired taste? A 100 quid plus pair of Beats headphones (sp?) sounded great but were not APT-X LL.

I know this is all subjective and some will get along fine with a £15 set of earbuds/headphones but I came to the conclusion cheap usually means less clear audio, regardless of other qualities.
Last edited by Ten pence! on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Pete01 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:10 pm
Rocinante wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am

I also couldn't find the 'plus' version of the Sounpeats Q12 in stock anywhere either!- I did buy the HD version from Amazon to try and although they paired with my Equinox and appeared well made they weren't Low latency as the + symbol didn't show up on the Equinox screen and there was some lag!.

I tried a bluetooth adaptor from Tesco's that was labelled as Low latency but they wasn't either so I returned that and then bought the 'Trond V5 DUO transmitter/ receiever' from Amazon and that works perfectly without any noticeable lag!, and shows the low latency + symbol on the equinox screen!. I paid £25 for the transmitter/ receiver but Trond do a slightly cheaper version as well- I bought the Duo version becasue it has a volume control on the unit. I also bought a cheap set of wired earbuds from Asda and a small pouch that fits on the belt from Ebay for £2.99 so I could run the wire under my jacket to the pouch on my belt and that way the wire doesn't get in the way. If using laregr headphones and not earbuds then the trasmitter is small enough to attach to the headband of the headphones with either elastic bands or a small pouch like the one I bought which can just be attached via the belt loop!. It's quite a neat solution and converts any wired heaphones to bluetooth!.

Nokta Simplex users would have to plug the bluetooth adaptor in to the headphone socket of the detector and then either use bluetooth headphones or earbuds- or they could use any wired headphones/ earbuds if they buy an additional bluetooth adaptor to use with the headphones. It would be a little more hassle to use two bluetooth adaptors but it would solve the issue as you could use any headphones/ earbuds you wanted. Two bluetooth adaptors cost approx £50 and a decent set of wired earbuds from Asda can be bought for £8 so it still works out cheaper than buying some specific bluetooth or wireless headphones from a metal detector manufacturer!.
Excellent info Pete! ::g

Shane69

Post by Shane69 »

Bought these from amazon no lag at all

Shane69

Post by Shane69 »

Sorry didn’t load first time

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”