Transplanting spade.

Please post any topics related to metal detecting spades, trowels and general Digging tools here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Spades
Post Reply
User avatar
Mancave-man
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 430 times

Transplanting spade.

Post by Mancave-man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had ever used or adapted a transplanting spade for metal detecting. These have a narrow but long spade bit. Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/



User avatar
fred
Posts: 9391
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1959 times
Been thanked: 5231 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by fred » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Mancave-man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had ever used or adapted a transplanting spade for metal detecting. These have a narrow but long spade bit. Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/
I use one on both land and beach. Plenty of previous discussions about them. ::g

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103391&p=918260&hi ... de#p918260
Equinox 800 x2

MartM
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:01 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by MartM » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Mancave-man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had ever used or adapted a transplanting spade for metal detecting. These have a narrow but long spade bit. Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/
I use one as well and find it really good. In fact it was Fred that advised me to get one!

User avatar
Shaneb3
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 312 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by Shaneb3 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm

I use a trenching spade which looks pretty similar but has a flat bottom. Works great ::g

Ladybird66
Posts: 1603
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 541 times
Been thanked: 1145 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 pm

And specially for the ladies. I bought a ladies border spade. Then gave it to hubby with clear instructions on how I wanted it modified :D

Head marked into the shape of the bottom of a shield. Ground smooth and sharpened.

Specific length, handle had to come off, a piece cut out, then replaced with an ergonomically friendly one (don’t mock, that’s what the makers called it)

It’s a first class piece of kit and I often borrow it for the garden ::g

Can highly recommend :D

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 4681
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1186 times
Been thanked: 2473 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by Easylife » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 am

Mancave-man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/
Could the vet not fix it? x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Magnas
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 am
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by Magnas » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:35 am

Easylife wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 am
Mancave-man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/
Could the vet not fix it? x;
Fur. Notoriously difficult to weld.

User avatar
Mancave-man
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 430 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by Mancave-man » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:03 pm

MartM wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Mancave-man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had ever used or adapted a transplanting spade for metal detecting. These have a narrow but long spade bit. Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/
I use one as well and find it really good. In fact it was Fred that advised me to get one!
Hi and thanks for the reply. Can I ask if you have cut the handle or blade to make the spade shorter? :-/

User avatar
fred
Posts: 9391
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1959 times
Been thanked: 5231 times

Re: Transplanting spade.

Post by fred » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Mancave-man wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:03 pm
MartM wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Mancave-man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had ever used or adapted a transplanting spade for metal detecting. These have a narrow but long spade bit. Am currently looking to replace my broken Aardvark. :-/
I use one as well and find it really good. In fact it was Fred that advised me to get one!
Hi and thanks for the reply. Can I ask if you have cut the handle or blade to make the spade shorter? :-/

The stainless steel socket of the blade is rivited onto the wooden handle. Not impossible to shorten but not easy. ::g I still break these spades but they usually last a year or two, which is considerably longer than any others that I have tried over the years. the worst killer is salt water wich eats out the welds.
Equinox 800 x2

Post Reply

Return to “Metal Detecting Spades and Digging Tools”