In Praise of a Spade - Report By oolith

Please post any topics related to metal detecting spades, trowels and general Digging tools here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Spades
sweepstick47

In Praise of a Spade - Report By oolith

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 pm

This post has been moved (copied and Pasted) into the correct forum on behalf of the OP - ss47

oolith wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:11 pm

In praise of a Spade!
I am so pleased with my new Bergman and Ball transplanting spade that I feel compelled to recommend it to other detectorists. This spade has a long, narrow-blade which is ideal for diggig plugs. Despite its slender shape, however, it is extremely strong and has been tested to a breaking strain of 100kg – this means that once you have sunk the spade into the ground it is strong enough to use as a lever to lift the plug; this, combined with the long handle, means that bending down is kept to a minimum.

The mirror-polished stainless steel head gives rust resistance and clean movement through the soil. Wide comfort treads at the top of the blade prevent any discomfort for feet, allowing you to really dig deep.

The FSC certified ash handle has a comfortable 'Y' grip, double riveted at the base for strength. An extra-long, double-riveted strapped socket introduces strength and an element of flex at this key joint.

The spade is covered by a lifetime guarantee.

Definitely worth 33 quid.
All the best
Muddy Knees Rule!
Ben

A disservice is no service at all.

fred

Re: In Praise of a Spade - Report By oolith

Post by fred » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 pm

I've been praising them for years. They are not indestructible but they are damn good.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103391&p=918260&hi ... ll#p918260

I do one in every couple of years, uasually because of the effect of sea water on the welds. No point in trying to claim on the warranty though, they are designed for transplanting shrubs on land not endlessly digging wet salty sand. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Metal Detecting Spades and Digging Tools”