XP Goldmax Power fault

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
gadusmorhua

XP Goldmax Power fault

Post by gadusmorhua » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:43 am

Last week my XP Goldmax Power started producing loud, false signals, then finally died.When I plugged my coil into two friends' machine it worked fine, but when I plugged their coils into my control box- nothing. As a result I sent the control box only back for a warranty repair, and was delighted when it was back within four days.A new circuit board has been fitted, but all is not well.The repairer suggested I set the machine in a vice, to keep it perfectly still, and set the sensitivity just above zero, and test the coil lead for faults.Even though the shed is 100m from my house, and therefore well away from any source of interference, the machine gave a warbling signal at regular, four second intervals.Moving the coil cable to search for breaks (as recommended) made no difference.The machine can't detect metal at all. I am going to test my coil with my friends' boxes (again!), and likewise my box with their coils, though I know what the result will be. The repairer is adamant that he needs the coil back , with the box, but I have a very strong feeling the original problem wasn't solved, and there is nothing wrong with my coil. It is all getting strangeley reminiscent of some car mechanics I've used in the past- what do you think?
Thanks, Gads.

gadusmorhua

Re: XP Goldmax Power fault

Post by gadusmorhua » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 am

I can't see that you need to match the coil to the electronics, after all you just buy a new coil and plug it in, surely?
I have to admit however that the repairer was right and there was both a fault on the circuit board and coil. I tested the coil again, with two other GMPs and it failed. I am not impressed that the GMP developed two faults within 220 hours.The coil and lead look pristine, so physical damage is unlikely- I certainly haven't dropped it etc. Having said that everyone else I know who owns a GMP has had trouble free use.
Thanks for your reply,
gads

Blue

Re: XP Goldmax Power fault

Post by Blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:29 pm

every 4 seconds? turn off your mobile phone ?

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”