Detector care

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
silverfox

Detector care

Post by silverfox »

May I ask what do other members do to maintain their detectors, as most are quite expensive im sure we all try to keep them in the best condition especially if used in saltwater conditions. 98;

sweepstick47

Re: Detector care

Post by sweepstick47 »

Moved your post to the more appropriate Tips and DIY forum ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

I've never even washed my Nox in over a year rl; Just keep the battery charged and ready to go, but maybe that's just me ::g

BM [:)

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

An occasional wipe down and check under the coil, fresh charges and that's about it.
Equinox 800
Garrett 400i
C-Scope 1220b

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult and we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult.

Lincsman

Post by Lincsman »

Most of the possessions we own all need to be looked after and cared for so my Nox 800 gets a full clean & check over after every 8-10 hours of use.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:13 pm
I've never even washed my Nox in over a year rl; Just keep the battery charged and ready to go, but maybe that's just me ::g

N-nope, not just you. Same here with the Deus.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 »

My Q40 is in desperate need of a clean, I'll do some pasture, at least the grass will clean the coil :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Whilst there will be two schools of thought on this question, The Clean it's V The Leave It's 8-|

Personally, I'm in the former group ::g Being a 'Baby Boomer'
(No need to look it up - The Baby Boom generation is most often defined as those individuals born between 1946 and 1964).

We were brought-up during the austerity of the post war years when the rationing period was still extant. Things were generally difficult to come by and what you couldn't obtain or afford, you had to 'make do or mend'! Kids didn't have much in the way of toy's etc but soon became adept at making them, 'bogey's, trambo's, Bows and arrows etc. etc. So we all took great care of the possessions that we did have and so the habit has left it's mark on me.

The 'Leave it' followers may site the fact that a detector is designed to operate to some degree in the wet, mud and sand and should be capable of withstanding such conditions without any ill effects - "a bit of mud won't hurt it" and I agree but......

The 'Clean Its' on the other hand will probably take the view that keeping their detector and
associated accessories clean, has distinct benefits:-

A 'wipe down' with a damp cloth is quick and will prevents lumps 'n clumps of dry mud from ending up in places where it's not appreciated (especially by her indoors) including the hall carpet and it's destination location for storage until it's next required.

The most important reason (in my view) for a quick clean of equipment immediately after arriving home is firstly the muck can be removed quickly and easily after which, the opportunity for a full visual check of all parts for damage or wear is a simple task.

Thus it's so much less painful to identify a cracked coil lug or other problem whilst at home rather than making the discovery upon your arrival on-site.
This process, I tend to refer to as 'Preventive Maintenance'.

So that's my answer to your question and I commend it to the house! 8-| Regards ss47 ::g

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

I am of that very generation, and a little bit f dirt never hurt anybody :D I don't clean any of my kit, and half of it never comes out the back of my van from one trip to the next. ::g :D

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

I check mine sometimes. It gets a swish in a puddle in the field if it gets very muddy. It gets a full on clean once a year. So does my spade at the same time. But I do put a cover on the controller and it never stays in my car, it is always brought inside to stay warm.

The pin-pointer gets a regular clean and scrub.

My finds bag gets thrown in the washing machine periodically. The hand trowel gets a regular clean.

I take care of it but it’s a working tool and I no longer get upset with the scratches on the stem 8=ypr
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

And I know just how muddy it can get Cath :D :)) :D I think you took most of the field home with you that day x;

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc »

I’m in the clean it clan... cleaning is inspection. It doesn’t matter what it is, spade, finds bag, phone, lawn mower, car, everything is looked after and respected.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:01 pm
I check mine sometimes. It gets a swish in a puddle in the field if it gets very muddy. It gets a full on clean once a year. So does my spade at the same time. But I do put a cover on the controller and it never stays in my car, it is always brought inside to stay warm.

The pin-pointer gets a regular clean and scrub.

My finds bag gets thrown in the washing machine periodically. The hand trowel gets a regular clean.

I take care of it but it’s a working tool and I no longer get upset with the scratches on the stem 8=ypr
You know what to do if you want to your equipment cleaned, I offer a great service ;)
Last edited by shaggybfc on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

shaggybfc wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:06 pm
I’m in the clean it clan... cleaning is inspection. It doesn’t matter what it is, spade, finds bag, phone, lawn mower, car, everything is looked after and respected.
I know, I lent him a coil and it came back looking newer than when it was new x; I was very impressed :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Mugwamp

Post by Mugwamp »

I'm with the clean it brigade. Not always a full strip down but always remove the coil and clean the washers and coil lug. I'm concerned that the mud or dust getting in the joint acts as a grinding paste when moisture present and so prematurely wears the washers and lug seats. Just my take on it. :D

jones123

Post by jones123 »

Nothing gets washed, apart from the finds ::g

Its a losing battle with mud.
:D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Lincsman wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:30 pm
Most of the possessions we own all need to be looked after and cared for so my Nox 800 gets a full clean & check over after every 8-10 hours of use.
Good Man!::g Shades of the army expression - "look after your kit and it won't let you down" ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

silverfox wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:05 pm
May I ask what do other members do to maintain their detectors, as most are quite expensive im sure we all try to keep them in the best condition especially if used in saltwater conditions. 98;
[/quote

Your topic has proved popular silverfox. It gets a big ::g. Regards ss47

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Some previous chat on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=239&t=107361

fred

Post by fred »

My detectors have always been beaten up and badly abused as a matter of course. I used to go through Tesoros in less than a year, their aluminium bits really didn't like sea water.

So far the Noxes have taken the worst that I can throw at them without complaint. The real surprise is that both sets of bluetooth headphones have survived too. :D
Equinox 800 x2

principia

Post by principia »

I am also a member of the "clean it clan" .
After every hunt I do clean my gear;
Metal detector, shafts, coil, coil protector etc.....
Pinpointer.
It is like you said, expensive gear and also during maintaining you recognise some failures better.
Al my material looks like brand new.....
Last week when I trade my AKA and Deus Lite machine for a full Deus, the member was surprised how my gear looks, like new........

But that is just me, I also maintain my bicycles, clean, repair etc......
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus , 11" X35, hf eliptical
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer, XP MI-6

Spade

Post by Spade »

Always strip down my Deus and full clean after every outing, I try to look after everything it lasts longer. :)
Xp Deus
Garrett pro Pointer ll

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog »

Spade wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 am
Always strip down my Deus and full clean after every outing, I try to look after everything it lasts longer. :)
Cleanliness is next to goodliness :))
Rolling about naked in mud will give the wrong impression.

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

I can see the opinion of those who say that it's working in a dirt-laden environment but I feel that makes it more important to clean and inspect your detector, but everyone is different, as for myself I get a sense of pride in making what I own look its best....but I digress, what I really wanted to ask is does anyone use anything special to protect aluminum parts ie like WD40 or similar :E

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM »

I'm with ss47 on this one - agree entirely. Clean after use, if not clean asap, if not then at least clean it later and if not later, teach the grand kids how to do it.
Its a priority that similar to washing the car and cutting the grass,. They can be put of but it only makes it more difficult later on IMHO. 🤔👍
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

cantona1

Post by cantona1 »

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 pm
Lincsman wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:30 pm
Good Man!::g Shades of the army expression - "look after your kit and it won't let you down" ::g
Actually my Batman took care of that side of thing when I was in the mob, rather like Figgis's "Gentleman's Gentleman" does. :D

Pip pip
Cantona1

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Keef the Frog wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:10 am
Spade wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 am
Cleanliness is next to goodliness :))
But only in an Irish dictionary! :)) :)) :))
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”