USB Chargers...

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Pete E

USB Chargers...

Post by Pete E »

My Nox 800 arrived today and seeing the various rechargeable bits, I thought I'd better sort out some additional USB chargers.

I have a high capacity USB powerbank I keep in the car for "emergency's" but wanted 12v USB charger to plug into the aux power socket in the boot of the car so I can charge the Nox and headphones while they are out of the way.

After checking out the options in the local shops, I found Home Bargains do a 4 port 12v in car USB charger on a 1.8m extension lead for £6.99. It has a max output of 4.5 amps with two 2.1amp and two 1amp ports...the 2.1amp ports will charge the Nox or perhaps tablets / laptops while the 1amp ports are ideal for devices with low power demands such as the headphones or mobiles.

Home Bargains also did a 4 outlet mains USB power charger for the same price which has similar port ratings so I grabbed one of these for use at home... Just need a USB extension cable now as the ones which came with the Nox are a bit short....

Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

GeorgeMK

Re: USB Chargers...

Post by GeorgeMK »

From a safety point of view, charging Lithium-Ion batteries in the boot of your car might not be a good idea. If anything did go wrong and you had a battery or charger fire, your safety could be compromised and your insurer might also say you are not insured.

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

GeorgeMK wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 pm
From a safety point of view, charging Lithium-Ion batteries in the boot of your car might not be a good idea. If anything did go wrong and you had a battery or charger fire, your safety could be compromised and your insurer might also say you are not insured.
I know there have been cases of Lithium Ions going on fire while charging, but I think that was mostly down to dodgy cheapo Chinese batteries that were actually made from recycled cells from old laptops. I would like to think Minelab would be using reputable batteries not the cheap Chinese rubbish...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman »

Pete E wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:31 pm
GeorgeMK wrote:
I know there have been cases of Lithium Ions going on fire while charging, but I think that was mostly down to dodgy cheapo Chinese batteries that were actually made from recycled cells from old laptops. I would like to think Minelab would be using reputable batteries not the cheap Chinese rubbish...
Rumour has it the cheap Chinese charges also have cause fire as the have not protection against the problems associated with the fast/high current charges some more up to date equipment require.

haggz

Post by haggz »

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:26 pm
Pete E wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:31 pm
GeorgeMK wrote:
Rumour has it the cheap Chinese charges also have cause fire as the have not protection against the problems associated with the fast/high current charges some more up to date equipment require.
this advice is spot on. had a torch that overcharge and batteries exploded whilst being charged in my car. the 12v socket was live all the time.
any usb/ciggy lighter socket adapter will charge devices but you need an adapter that will detect that the battery is fully charged then switch off. similar to a car battery charger.
I use a Samsung charger indoors and a honor in-car adapter when out and about. I thought of using a powerbank as a back up but would only buy a well known branded one. don't risk it as mine lab and the well known stockist can supply the correct one for you.

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”