Spade Mod.

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Mugwamp

Spade Mod.

Post by Mugwamp » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm

My detecting of late has been on pasture and I have been using a ladies size garden border spade with the square end rounded off. I recently acquired the Nox 800 and find myself digging much deeper holes than before and the spade is just too shallow in blade length. I had seen a video uploaded on to Youtube where a guy was making mods to garden spades and with having a spare spade in the garage thought I would have a go. Only tools needed were angle grinder with 1mm cutting blade and a file. Less than an hours work produced a spade which looks similar (if you don't look too close) to ones costing nearly £70 and on testing it yesterday I was well chuffed, a big improvement on quality of cut and depth. Blade length is 10 inches that's about four inches longer than my original one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bargeman

Re: Spade Mod.

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Very good, now if you just weld some pipe onto the two foot plates, it won't cut into your boots when digging ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm

During a bored half-hour I grabbed a grinder and did that with a groundworker's pet trenching spade ::g

He was not amused ;;z

Lovely job there, though I suppose the test of how long it lasts will be in the quality of the steel.

Great job and hope it serves you well ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Mugwamp

Post by Mugwamp » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Thanks Bargeman, don't have a welder but was thinking of shaping the cut-offs and bolting on to the two fold-overs on top of the blade to give a bigger platform. I'll see how it goes for now.

Dave

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Looks a big improvement .Well done because I know accuracy can mean the difference between a good job and a bad job as far as measurements are concerned.

amphora

Post by amphora » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 pm

Looks nice.
Did the same myself many years ago with the same shovel. Still in good working order.
I did shorten the stem at comfortable working height though to do quick digs.
Good luck hunting.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 pm

amphora wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 pm
Looks nice.
Did the same myself many years ago with the same shovel. Still in good working order.
I did shorten the stem at comfortable working height though to do quick digs.
Very similar to my instructions to hubby. I also had stem shortened and a modern handle put on it.
Use t in the garden occasionally as well if I’ve got a tough job, like digging up a bush. Been on the go for about 5 years, only sign of deterioration is my fault. Salt water off the beach has pitted the head because I didn’t swill it off.
Looks very impressive, well done ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 pm

An ergonomic and practical design which probably results in a little less weight and a good few quid saved. :g If you are considering adding boot protectors, perhaps a simple (no welding necessary) option would be to hacksaw two appropriate lengths of 15mm copper? pipe (or other) - one for each side) ;)

Make a full length cut (hacksaw) through each one, end to end and with a little judicious tapping of a hammer, they should slide into place to create a pair of foot/boot protectors.

Note: It may be necessary to open the cut a little just to ease the 'sliding on' action. It should result in a good tight fit to prevent them coming adrift. ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:04 am

Nice job.....somewhere on forum some one put blue pipe on top to increase foot area ::g

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm

I initially read this as Spade Mode. rl;
Its the one I run on some of the very quiet fields I can come across in darkest France. As in...the only use for the spade is to waft in front of the coil to check the machine is still working...
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm

.....no doubt it's just a simple reversing of the procedure to check your spade's working 8-| :D
Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:27 pm

I use a border spade which I find ideal on loose soil but on harder/drier pasture it can be harder work especially trying to cut through grass or stony ground. I might buy a stainless spade and do the same. How about putting up a few measurements, width top & bottom and length etc?

Mugwamp

Post by Mugwamp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advice re footrests, all appreciated. Dangerous Norman I've included a picture of the template I made for marking out the spade and I have added some measurements to help you. I don't think you need to be too accurate, if it looks about right then it should work fine.
Sorry for the delay but I've been away for a few days.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Mugwamp wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 pm
Thanks for all the comments and advice re footrests, all appreciated. Dangerous Norman I've included a picture of the template I made for marking out the spade and I have added some measurements to help you. I don't think you need to be too accurate, if it looks about right then it should work fine.
Sorry for the delay but I've been away for a few days.

Dave
Thanks for that.

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”