batteries

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
william

batteries

Post by william » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi i thought i would post this as i think it makes a difference....or it does to my 9v battery run machine (g2..g2+).I would think that when machines are being designed/constructed/tweaked a constant 9v is used rather than a 9v square battery.With that in mind i purchased a true 9.6v battery.for me it gives about 9.1v generally,the standard 9v battery seems to give me about 7.3v. Having used both for days or swapping half way through the day i can honestly say its like having a different machine....all positive! Give it a try i use a Maha powerex rechargeable.Bear in mind you need a very good charger to get above 8.4 volts as i believe most chargers fill up at about 8.3 volts making this the ceiling.if thats all a bit to technical just buy true 9.6 volt battery and bang it in ! Please let me know your thoughts.

Fusion

Re: batteries

Post by Fusion » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 pm

I think there's a lot of ill-informed stuff out there about 9V batteries. And about metal detectors.

Detectors, including your G2, have voltage regulating circuitry in all the important bits, and if it's designed to run on PP3 batteries, it's designed to run on fresh ones and fairly flat ones with little discernable difference. Using those 8-cell "9.6V" batteries is going to make no difference. If anything, you will have shorter run-time, as the "9.6V" ones normally have lower capacity than the "8.4V" type ( there's only so much space inside them )
And their actual voltage varies a lot during use, anyway. Fresh off the charger "8.4V" batteries typically measure 10 Volts, I would expect the "9.6V" types to be near 11.5V.

The only part of the electronics that is likely to be unregulated is the audio amplifier, so a drop off in volume may be a sign of a battery going flat. ( the Fisher F2/F4 has this behaviour ).

It would be interesting to see if you could come up with any scientific tests that show up the behaviour you've seen. Such as air-test distances, and how they vary with battery output. I guess it's tricky to actually measure the battery voltage in use. The same issue occurs on the F2. I was ( years ago ) going to make a pair of insulating spacers from double-sided copper-clad PCB material so I could measure it's two batteries in-situ. It has two batteries, but only one battery strength meter on the LCD. You could have it working fine, but with really weak volume. Swap the batteries round, and it would go ape, but loudly... funny machine.
:(

william

Post by william » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 pm

hi fusion thank you for reply.sorry got nothing scientific only that i felt the machine was deeper and my finds rate increased however if what you say about the regulators built into the machines then perhaps all i've found out is that i need the audio boost cause i'm going deaf!!

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:49 am

I have had trouble with batteries, my new machine started turning itself off although they were full volt wise, they were alkaline as recommended, got some Duracell from a high street shop and had no trouble since.

amphora

Post by amphora » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:06 pm

william wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 pm
With that in mind i purchased a true 9.6v battery.for me it gives about 9.1v generally,the standard 9v battery seems to give me about 7.3v.
Does not matter. No issue.
Detectors are designed to work proper from a certain minimal voltage and above that. Your detector will warn you if it gets to low.

Listen to this interesting podcast of Dan Hughes including reactions brands.
https://picosong.com/wKsNG/ ;)
Good luck hunting.

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”