TIP: Car Boot / Fete / Show sites.

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Saffron

TIP: Car Boot / Fete / Show sites.

Post by Saffron » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

I was one of the mentors on todays newbie rally, and had rather puzzled looks from 4 attendees when as they were digging holes, for a target that had given a really good signal, I walked over to them and told them to stop digging !! :-/

The bulk of the large site was used extensively for equestrian events, and I understand some other events as well. As such it has a large footfall with associated catering and drinks outlets. This results in a significant amount of modern targets (both good and rubbish). Being modern and the ground being old grassland these targets are in the top few inches.

It only took me a few targets to realise the above, and that the vast bulk of the targets were bottle tops B| mainly in the top inch.

What most were doing, and no fault of theirs if the did not know this trick, was to pinpoint the target with the detector and then get the spade and dig out a plug several inches deep. This takes time and at the very best leaves a replaced plug the surface area the width of the spade. Being an equestrian site in the worst case one of these might have been kicked out and cause an injury to the horse (unlikely but possible ... horses have a worrying ability to injure themselves!).

What I said was that on this kind of site with the vast majority of targets near the surface do not use the spade to dig a plug to recover them, but instead run the pinpointer over the area - in the bulk of cases the pinpointer was then detecting EXACTLY where the target was. It could then very easily be dug with a trowel or digging knife.
This is both much quicker, and easier, and means very little disturbance to the surface of the ground. ::g ::g ::g

I then learnt something from "The Detecting Maestro" aka Fred. You can further reduce the disturbance to the ground by once you have found the location of the target with the pinpointer instead of using a trowel or digging knife use a BLUNT screwdriver to probe the area (you will feel the resistance when you hit the target) going from slightly to the side slip the end of the screw driver under the target and just flip it out. This works for both bottle tops and coins (if on edge you might have to use a trowel / digging knife).

Also get to know your machine, on the Nox most of the bottle tops (and there were LOTS of them) were in the 11-14 range, so any signals in this range I ignored. OK I accept I might have missed the odd coin but it saved me a significant amount of time digging rubbish, and in that time I probably dug extra good targets.

EDIT: Trying to detect a target using the pinpointer in your normal fields, or beach, is alwasy worth trying before digging if the depth indicator on you detector suggests the target is very shallow.

Evan

fred

Re: TIP: Car Boot / Fete / Show sites.

Post by fred » Sun May 12, 2019 7:24 am

Great to meet you. Enjoyed the event and the detecting. ::g

The pinpointing from the top and the probing with a blunt screwdriver considerably reduces the disturbance. After a while you can feel small bits of foil and tiny hard bits as well as the more obvious stuff like coins. I usally use the screwdriver down the hole too once the target has been located with the pinpointer. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

cammann

Post by cammann » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 am

Great write up Saffron. Fred, what sort of screwdriver are you using - any chance of a photo? I've got a few olderer ones in the toolbox that might be suitable.
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

cammann wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 am
Great write up Saffron. Fred, what sort of screwdriver are you using - any chance of a photo? I've got a few olderer ones in the toolbox that might be suitable.

Use a strong one with a flat end that has a five or six inch shank. A phillips one will work but the flat end helps with levering out finds. It also needs to be comfortable to hold and use. Take off any hammy scratching sharp edges by scraping it on concrete or rock before you use it but it will quickly polish smooth in use anyway. ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Equinox 800 x2

stevechelt

Post by stevechelt » Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am

One thing I realised yesterday is that I do need a new modern pinpointer, my old 1980s probe only has a range of about 1" and no indication of proximity to the target. It would not be that good at locating shallow targets within 'blunt screwdriver' range.
Tesoro Silver & Royal Sabres (about 30 years old)
Rutus Alter 71

cammann

Post by cammann » Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Perfect, thanks Fred. I've got just the candidate in my toolbox.

I'll be careful to round off those edges as you've done though. I think part of me would die if I pulled out a nice looking posy ring that had been inadvertently scratched by my screwdriver...
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 12, 2019 12:56 pm

cammann wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Perfect, thanks Fred. I've got just the candidate in my toolbox.

I'll be careful to round off those edges as you've done though. I think part of me would die if I pulled out a nice looking posy ring that had been inadvertently scratched by my screwdriver...

Believe it or not the edges actually mostly rounded themselves off. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun May 12, 2019 3:53 pm

It was good to meet people yesterday, both ones I had met previously and to put faces to names for others.

Glad people have found this tip useful, it certainly saves a lot of time and is a lot easier as means a greatly reduced amount of digging. But most significantly in my view on sites like yesterdays with equestrian events it minimises the ground disturbance.

Many thanks to Fred for the screwdriver tip, and all the extra information about it today.

Evan

GC-1023

Post by GC-1023 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Dirtfishing on youtube is one of the most skilled guys i have seen extracting surface targets .
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:35 pm

The screwdriver extraction method is an American practice which first became known in the uk during the mid 1970s. It was said to be favoured for that all American activity 'coin shooting',
an activity mainly carried out where coin losses are likely to occur (parks, school sites and deserted homesteads and the like). It's a practice that requires considerable practice if damage to the target is to be avoided, the risks are very real and the result would be instantly regrettable :( .

Needless to say, if you don't feel confident at adopting the practice, perhaps the situation could be improved with the making of a test-bed to practice on. Whatever you decide, perhaps the best advice would be to always err on the side of being safe rather than sorry.

Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 pm

This recovery method really is mostly suitable for use on surface targets on modern sites or junk surface targets on your normal sites. It can be extremely accurate and I normally use it to extract the very modern airgun pellets, .22 bullet heads and cartridges that litter my pasture sites in order to save time and avoid disturbing the grass.

You gently push the screwdriver in until you feel the object and then gently lever it out. You do not stab the ground or use any force at all until you are sure about what you have found. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm

hello, a chap i knew a few years back went on the grass fields after a pop concert of 5/8000 people camping and music tents, found enough beer money for months after, did not need to dig just buried in grass,

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”