First metal detector

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y

First metal detector

Post by POTTSY » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi guys, as being a newbie to the hobbie I'm looking in buying a garret ace pro but there is a few to choose from. Can anyone give me any advise which one to get. I don't just want to buy the cheapest because I have been wanting to start this for a few years. Buying the cheaper one is good but I don't want to be thinking I want more and have to buy a more expensive one a few months down the line. Any advise would be great thanks. Gaz

Re: First metal detector

Post by DionAstro » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Im in the same boat as you and been doing a LOT of reading, at this point I've dismissed the Garrets and seriously looking at either the teknetics eurotek pro or for more money the patriot or t2.

Post by JBM » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Buy a second user quality detector rather than a cheaper new one.

Also be aware of Chinese copy machines.

Their machines look just like the authentic ones. ;)

Happy Hunting,

Post by beaubrummell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:44 pm

I agree with JBM. Check out these guys. Great second hand machines with a warranty thrown in too.

http://staffsmetaldetectorsonlineshop.c ... s-23-c.asp
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Post by Steve_T » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 pm

What machine will suit one person may not suit another, impossible to give "buy this one advice"

Research, research, research..........what do you want from it, land use beach use, how much do you want to spend, how often do you plan to use it, easy to set up, easy to understand what it's indicating from the sounds, weight, running costs (batteries) etc etc etc.......the questions you need to ask yourself, the answers you get will fit your requirements

The 64 milion dollar question is ....... Have you somewhere to use it permission wise

Regards Steve
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Pottsy
Like you I've just invested in my first detector and after a lot of research and balancing of the budget I went for the Garret 300i. Why! Well I wanted a machine that was already in production, and had been upgraded for the British market and had what I wanted on the dials ie: digital readout good discrimination and a selection of presets. The price was important as was its availability to be purchased in the U.K. from a U.K. sourced dealer. (I went to Regtons). Got good advice plus discounts so couldnt complain. The advice about rip off machines is very valid. Many on line are cheaper but at least if bought here you have a better chance of gaining both advice and redress if anything goes wrong. Wish I'd joined the forum before purchase as their advice is worth its weight etc....
Sort out your prime detecting areas land/ beach etc as some machines do well on both others don't. So far the 300i has been great apart from having to get used to the colour; in all other respects its a good little detector/finder. Hope this helps and good luck with the hunting.
Happy New Year.

Post by Junior » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:08 pm

I believe some dealers have a test bed to try different detectors on but I just can't remember who it woz. Maybe someone's got a better memory than me. In my case detector wise I should not of cheap skated and bought what I've got now it would of saved me 15 odd purchases!!!!! There are good sec hand ones out there from main dealers. I would recommend dues lite-- t2- trident 1 if u want to risk flee bay it could b worth check. Just check what you are after suits what u want to use it for e.g. beach or needs to b light as back or arm issues!!!! Or just want a switch on and go machine. Having said that the dues/ 3030 can b used as switch on and go once program u like is set. Mate has a 300i and won't swop it. If it's there in the first place and you walk over it most average detectors will get it. . It's all up to you. YOU HAVE TO B HAPPY WITH IT. . Good luck

Post by roamingrob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 pm

All sound advice above, when I started it was a fathers day gift a £50 machine it did work and got me hooked nearly 8 years on and I have had a few, started with the Garret Euro ace that was OK but wanted something I could ground balance and water proof ! so after 4 months up graded to the
AT Pro a very good machine in my book. After two years I went for the XP Deus and that does exactly as I wanted. Don't think I will be using anything else such a good all round detector.

We are all different with our own reasons to use what we do. Draw up a list what do you want it to do. If you can visit a detector shop and try out the different ones and get the right advice I use Regton. Not a normal sales team they will not just sell you anything and have shown me cheaper items when I could have spent more, a trip to the shop is always worth it to me to get the right item and you would be like a kid in a candy store 8=ypr.(I know I am)

Good luck ::g and Happy new Year
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
FB page ... 069738277/

Post by tigtog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:08 am

get a Deus
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

Post by littleboot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:31 pm

You are new to the hobby. It would be most unwise to 'dismiss the Garretts' because they are perfect for Newbies. Easy to master, reliable, with a long pedigree....and they find good stuff.

My advice is don't try to run before you can walk. See how you go with a Garrett (or a Makro) and then when you have mastered it you can decide where (and if) to go on from there.
You will be able then to master a more complex machine properly and get the most out of it.
You will also have either a) a great back-up machine you know really well or b) be able to sell it or trade it in.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Post by Bootneck45RM » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Pottsy
Just a quick point - after all this advice don't forget to let us all know what you end up buying where you use it and how you get on!

Post by mrix » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi POTTSY, certainly one of the most popular starter machines has been the Garrett ACE 250 over the years but Garrett have just brought out updated models, the ACE 200i, ACE 300i and the ACE 400i these New models are becoming more and more popular as the months move on ::g
They are at a price where you will not break the bank, easy to use and will generally give you an idea if metal detecting is for you or just a passing fad.
On our MDF Shop the ACE300i and ACE 400i have been more popular ::g
Best of luck in whatever you decide

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Absolutely agree with Mrix. The 300i package at £230 is a much value ::g
XP Deus
8 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and still trying to get off the mark in 2018 =P~

When nothing is going right, go left

Return to “Tips & DIY”