Cost effective wireless headphone option for ANY detector...

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
tcawood

Cost effective wireless headphone option for ANY detector...

Post by tcawood »

I'm a Rutus Alter 71 user and wanted to have totally wireless headphones.

I'd tried the little wireless unit that Rutus sell, worked okay BUT it means having a wire between the box and the headphones and then sticking the box in a pocket, down you shirt, that sort of thing.

And I never could get along with that, felt awkward and still not totally wireless so I gave up an went back to fully wired rather than compromise.

That is until I combined a low latency bluetooth transmitter with the low latency headphones that I bought for use with my backup machine, and Equinox 600.

The transmitter I bought is an Mpow Low Latency Transmitter/Receiver and I pair it with my Miccus Stealth headphones. Connecting them is a doddle and they both have decent battery life (they're charged via USB) so I can easily get a full day digging out of them.

Other transmitters and headphones can be used to create this setup, but the key is to make sure that both are Low Latency AptX or the lag will be noticeable when using.

I've been using my setup with my Rutus for the last couple of months and it's great, same setup should work for any detector that doesn't have built in wireless headphones and works out a lot cheaper than something like a Z Link kit.

Hope that's helpful for some of you.

Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Wigeon

Re: Cost effective wireless headphone option for ANY detector...

Post by Wigeon »

Very interesting thank you ::g .
Just checking my understanding; Does one simply plug the device into the headphones socket of the detector, press the pairing button to pair with the headphones and away you go?
Is the device priced at about £25?
Which headphones have you been using please?
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

tcawood

Re: Cost effective wireless headphone option for ANY detector...

Post by tcawood »

Hi Wigeon

Yes, the transmitter goes into the headphone socket (may need an adapter depending on size), switch it on in transmitter mode and pair it with your headphones. So should work on any detector with a normal headphone socket.
The MPOW unit I'm using was indeed about £25 and the headphones I use are Miccus Stealth, these are the ones that Minelab re-badge and send with the Equinox 800.
Key is to make sure that the transmitter and headphones are both AptX Low Latency.
I made a couple of vids on my youtube channel - tcdetects - looking at my setup, about a month ago.
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”