Deep Iron and Magnet?

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Wigeon

Deep Iron and Magnet?

Post by Wigeon »

I have a field of permanent pasture where I am plagued by deep iron. All the usual suspects that fool our detectors. ++=£

Yesterday I was down the best part of two spades deep but the complete, rusted iron, elongated harrow link still gave a mixed signal on the eTrac. The signal was broken to a degree so I was suspicious but still had to dig it.

I have been looking at small but strong magnets and wondering whether it would be practicable to use one in the hole to test for iron? I anticipate that it could be a problem near the detector etc. so care needed.

My line of thought is that, once down a spade depth of so and still more to go, hold the magnet in the bottom of the hole and see whether it is attracted. ??{((

Anyone tried it? If so, how did you get on?

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: Deep Iron and Magnet?

Post by Blackadder43 »

I think my issue would be the transporting in the fields of said strong magnet...
Against the electronics of the machine and headphones and mobile phones etc, im not sure i would want that on my person... :-/
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Even with a high grade neodymium you would still have to get within 2-3 inches to notice any attractive effects. By the time you have got that close you might as well just dig it anyway.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

If such a magnet deemed the buried find to be ferrous iron what then? Would you leave it where it lies or consider you may be leaving a 7th Century Saxon weapon or other important ferrous artefact in situ? Best do what that little voice in your head tells you to do, check it out ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

sweepstick47 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:58 pm
If such a magnet deemed the buried find to be ferrous iron what then? Would you leave it where it lies or consider you may be leaving a 7th Century Saxon weapon or other important ferrous artefact in situ? Best do what that little voice in your head tells you to do, check it out ::g Regards ss47
I know exactly what you mean SS47. ::g
That little voice has a warped sense of humour though.
The number of times I have 'made my mind up' to walk on but been persuaded by him to dig are countless. So far, usually but not always junk. He's a treacherous little b**#&r ++=£

The eTrac is really a good discriminator but, as with all detectors, has its limits. It's tone usually gives a clue to the 'bad news' awaiting at the bottom of a deep hole though.

This field should be very good and in fairness I have had a medieval annular brooch and scabbard chape, so mustn't grumble too much :D Targets are all deep though and lots of junk. I suppose I am just thrashing around trying to avoid some of it.
Just for good measure, I got absolutely plastered in mud again too. 8-|
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”