Stainless border spade modification

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Dave Lowe

Stainless border spade modification

Post by Dave Lowe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Went into Wilkinsons store the other day and they had £26 SS border spades in the sale for £5, so I naturally purchased three !
I had got one in the sale a few years ago that had a 3 inch/ 75mm shorter handle so decided to modify that one instead, made a template out of paper, taped it to the blade and lightly spray with rattle can black paint to show where to cut, used 1mm blade on a angle grinder, and finished off with flap wheel on the grinder and files, making sure not to over heat the metal, I scuffed up the Stainless as I am going to spray it black, don't like bright things when I detect, one reason I have never purchased a yellow Garrett LOL I was going to bolt a thick alloy bar on the top as someone on here done to their modification, for more area for your feet, but could not find my carbide drills and a normal HSS bit would not touch it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arfur_sleep

Re: Stainless border spade modification

Post by arfur_sleep » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Looks good a real mean looking beast ::g

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Can I ask why you’ve put serrated sides on it, are you planning to saw something or do you just want it to snag and not go through the soil smoothly ?

Neat cutting/grinder work though ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Brilliant, quality job ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:13 pm

That should make short work of tough grass roots and all manner of others you're likely to encounter. It will be worth considering a protective cover to prevent potential damage/injury whilst being transported. Catching knuckles on the serrated edges is a definite........ouch! :-O

A very nice job ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 pm

I put serrations on a spade I modified a few years ago, and managed to mangle no less than two hammered coins that got caught in the cut outs. B|

They do look cool but I do not think you gain much or even anything by having them.

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 pm
I put serrations on a spade I modified a few years ago, and managed to mangle no less than two hammered coins that got caught in the cut outs. B|

They do look cool but I do not think you gain much or even anything by having them.
I wont have a problem then as I don't find any hammered coins !

I made this for detecting in the woods. I have a large area of woods to detect in, I am always having trouble with roots, somehow the finds a lot of the time are underneath roots for some reason. I guess as the roots grow the finds slip underneath, as I stated I have three more spades to use elsewhere !

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am

I decided serrated edges were essential when I got my spade. I can’t remember why. I wouldn’t bother again now but it does make them look more ‘metal detectory’ (that term doesn’t really exist does it? =)) ). I don’t like gardening so not getting it stolen by the husband for gardening duties, and not being mistaken for a gardener digging in the middle of a field ( :-/ ) can only be a good thing in my books.

It looks cool. Better than wearing camo, which really doesn’t make sense if you are legit :D 98;
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 am

And I don’t detect in woods where it would make a lot more sense and be very handy ::g
Carpe vinum

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:05 am

PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:33 pm
Can I ask why you’ve put serrated sides on it, are you planning to saw something or do you just want it to snag and not go through the soil smoothly ?

Its for the woods I get trouble with roots a lot, some of the most expensive MD spades sold have these serrations, I doubt if they would go to the trouble of making and marketing them if they did not work correctly, whats the point of making something to sell if it does not work ? Anyhow I will give it a go, I have only lost a few pounds if it does not function as I hoped, and have another three spades in reserve !

As to the cutting/grinding I have been working with metal for over 50 years, I am 70 now and not as good as I was what with the arthritis in my hands, years ago it would have been perfect....

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Dave Lowe wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:05 am
Its for the woods I get trouble with roots a lot, some of the most expensive MD spades sold have these serrations, I doubt if they would go to the trouble of making and marketing them if they did not work correctly, whats the point of making something to sell if it does not work ? Anyhow I will give it a go, I have only lost a few pounds if it does not function as I hoped, and have another three spades in reserve !

As to the cutting/grinding I have been working with metal for over 50 years, I am 70 now and not as good as I was what with the arthritis in my hands, years ago it would have been perfect....
I bought an Evo spade with such serrations thinking they would be the right thing to get , but to be honest, they are a waste of time on roots..The problem is you cant really get any sawing action going to make the cut..Same goes for the serrations on the small hand diggers/trowels..I tend to use a standard SS border spade now and just keep the edges clean and reasonable sharp.

If you detect in woodland to any degree, the handiest thing you can carry is a pair of good secateurs ....Not sure what the answer is for *really* large roots, but we probably shouldn't be cutting those anyway?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks Pete E for the input, like I said if it don't work I have only lost a few pounds, I wanted it mainly for very small roots, I would never cut anything larger. Sometimes I cant get the lump I have dug out of the hole for small roots hanging onto it, mostly ivy, I agree with the comments about the hand trowel, I made one and that didn't work, mind you I put it down to being old n weak LOL, secateurs is a good idea I might try that thanks.

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Dave,

Can you do stainless welding? If so, you might want to add some wider "treads" (is that the right term?) ie the part where you foot pushes against on the spade...that is a very worthwhile mod especially if you wish to wear light footware in the summer..

Regards,

Peter
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Pete E wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:39 pm

I bought an Evo spade with such serrations thinking they would be the right thing to get , but to be honest, they are a waste of time on roots..The problem is you cant really get any sawing action going to make the cut..Same goes for the serrations on the small hand diggers/trowels..I tend to use a standard SS border spade now and just keep the edges clean and reasonable sharp.

If you detect in woodland to any degree, the handiest thing you can carry is a pair of good secateurs ....Not sure what the answer is for *really* large roots, but we probably shouldn't be cutting those anyway?
I find my Evo Digging Tool (with serrations) very handy for cutting through the clumps of grass roots. ::g
www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Dave Lowe wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:05 am
PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Looks great ::g

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:45 pm

Pete E wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Dave,

Can you do stainless welding? If so, you might want to add some wider "treads" (is that the right term?) ie the part where you foot pushes against on the spade...that is a very worthwhile mod especially if you wish to wear light footware in the summer..

Regards,

Peter
I have no gas at the moment, retired , and I have no arc welding SS rods, I am going to put a thick aluminium bar across the top, I made the bar and shaped it, and will fix it with button head stainless 5mm bolts, but could not find my carbide drills when making it to drill through the stainless, HSS drills will not touch it. I tried even though I knew it wouldn't work ! I am in a right mess at the moment as last year they wanted to build a house where my workshop is, so I moved /sold loads, then they were refused planning x 2, so I cant find nothing as everything is all over the place !!!

Decodetector

Post by Decodetector » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 pm

think this is pretty awesome ! currently perusing ebay for a boarder spade to trim

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Decodetector wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 pm
think this is pretty awesome ! currently perusing ebay for a boarder spade to trim
I believe Home Depot has a great one reduced from £30 to £5 if you are looking for a value one ::g
Carpe vinum

jarrett

Post by jarrett » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Nice work.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Nice job, I modified one similar but without serrations as my spare spade. On my pasture as I walked past a huge old tree in the hedgerow I got a sweet coin-like signal, but just 1" down my spade hit a 2" root so I started to walk away as I didn't want to dig a crater on pasture but then curiosity got the better of me and I really needed to know what that good sounding target was beneath that big old tree so returned with determination. Fortunately my main spade that I drag around is both strong and heavy so easily enough chopped that 2" root right out for the beneath reward of a blank copper coin. :))
I think that a sharp pointy or rounded spade end is the most beneficial feature. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Went out with the modified spade today in the woods, it is much better that when I used it standard, it leaves a nice plug when a lot of the time before at the corners small roots used to stop me getting the plug out, so I am pleased, didn't get a lot today though ! just a 1775 George third 1/2 p that I think is a counterfeit, and a little buckle that turns out to be medieval, I was going to bin it, thought it was a 1950s kids shoe buckle at first !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Decodetector

Post by Decodetector » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Decodetector wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 pm
I believe Home Depot has a great one reduced from £30 to £5 if you are looking for a value one ::g
ha har.....just discovered a stainless one in the garrage ,,obviously of no use in the garden lol .now where did i leave my grinder

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Cool bit of kit.😁

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”