300i new coil

Topics related to Garrett metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed. Garrett Videos
Parapilot

300i new coil

Post by Parapilot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 am

Looking to upgrade the coil on my 300i. Has anyone used the nel hunter or tornado with the ace range? Any other recommendations for the 300i? I'm quite new and don't want to upgrade the detector just yet, but would be tempted to upgrade the coil to improve depth so I don't miss stuff!!

Thanks
Jamie

detective

Re: 300i new coil

Post by detective » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:53 am

I've a 300i and pulling out metal flakes at over 20cm. How deep do you want to go and therefore miss stuff even deeper? As you're 'quite new', milk the 300i for all it's worth, then consider potential improvements when you've grasped everything. ::g

And welcome to the forum.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:25 am

Hi Jamie

Please don't worry about depth. You will always think there might be something deeper. In the end you'll trade of proper coverage of the ground and the opportunity to find more in the pursuit of digging down.

Save yourself the money and spend time getting the technique right; you'll get more depth swinging the coil a few mm from the ground with a flat arc than a new coil. :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

Parapilot

Post by Parapilot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks guys good advice, was thinking if I could improve it before I start I may as well but if you think the stock coil is ok for starters I'll stick with that and get used to it first.

I used to do loads as a kid, but with a Viking that's a totally different beast, no settings or discrim etc, so now I'm getting back into it 25 years later it's all different! I'll get out as it is, and get detecting with stock coil. I'm in a club so no doubt pick up advice as I go their also.

Thanks

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm

You would think by now that manufacturers would have stopped putting rubbish coils that do not work on their brand new machines B| =))

I have had over a dozen machines since I started detecting 28 years ago and only once have I put a different coil than it came with on a machine and that was only because the original went kaput.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm

2 of the biggest mistakes that folks do when either just starting out or coming back into detecting is they want to add a big coil straight away and also max out the sensitivity of a detector.In the case of a coil,as has been suggested use the general all purpose stock coil and learn the machine and what its telling you,then maybe look at adding a slightly larger coil but the art is when too use the larger coil as it can cause problems of target masking on trashy sites.

Regarding the sensitivity as most folks think they will gain the best performance of a detector by cranking up the sensitivity(gain) this can cause the machine to run very erratic and can have the opposite effect as what you wanted from the detector.

Start off with mild setting and throw a selection of common everyday items that you would typical find,say like rusty nail,few coins of different sizes and different metals and then take the detector over and try and remember the tones that these basic targets give out.

Read the hand book,re-read it many times and then spend hours and hours learning it,one of my detectors a DFX i bought in 2001 and spent 1000s of hours learning it and still learning all the time,its not my everyday machine these days as that crown belongs to the Deus.
Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus.

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 pm

People confuse good settings with good prospecting skills

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few
Tools of the trade as of 2019: Lobos/Silver sabre/GMP/Deus/1266X/F75DST/Xterra 705/ctx 3030/Goldscan g5c/Goldbug pro

Return to “Garrett Forum”