Garret ace on a stoney beach

Topics related to Garrett metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed. Garrett Videos
mick the chip

Garret ace on a stoney beach

Post by mick the chip » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi all as posted a week or so back i am very new to this think i may have a permission but will need to wait till next week on that. in the mean time i want to have a go on the beach, over this weekend its a low tide at good times for me but lots of people say the garret ( i and wife have a ace 250 and a euro ace)are no good on the beach but have watched youtube vids with said machines on almost identical beach any help would be much appreciated thanks all
Mick the Chip

Junior

Re: Garret ace on a stoney beach

Post by Junior » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 am

What they might mean is they are no good on """wet""" beach? On dry sand they should be ok , on wet beach try turning sens down a bit :D

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 am

I found my Garret Ace 250 worked the way it was intended on the stony/rocky parts of the beach. Where it wasn't very good was in the deep wet sand. It also worked fine on dry sand.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am

all beaches are different and some VLF machines will struggle more on some than others.

on difficult beaches its always going to be a compromise

things that help

slow swing

swing the same Hight above the ground

increase discrimination

low sensitivity

smaller coil if you have one

swing higher above the ground.

adjust ground balance, not applicable to your detectors

its a matter of experimenting until you find a combo that work well enough to detect

pebbles on top of sand may not be detectable. Most rockpools will be undetectable.

A few beaches near me have a soft black rock dumped on them to stop erosion. They gets smashed into millions of little pieces which all give a good tone

luckily there not everywhere and moving a hundred yards down the beach and your good to go again.

Return to “Garrett Forum”