2017 MDF Forum Dig - SPACES STILL LEFT!

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
liamnolan

Re: 2017 International MDF Forum Dig & ECMD Conference

Post by liamnolan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am

Waiting to visit a farmer up towards Aylsham to check out the land he is offering and will report back asap. Land everywhere but getting the right land is key, plus being able to camp etc. We have had several landowners worried re the shooting season, bird covers being disturbed as they earn a lot of money from that activity.
I appreciate people need to know the area and will confirm that soon and then everything drops into place, Liam ::g
Just rang the farmer and we are meeting up tomorrow, I am up in Glasgow right now and will be driving south this evening.
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Put me down for all 3 days please Liam :D

PayPal done ):=

BD ::g

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks Billy, will do. Now back from Glasgow and the farmer is at a funeral today in Essex but we will meet up tomorrow morning. He farms land in Colby - http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2616 which is south of Cromer on the north Norfolk coast. I will report back with details tomorrow. I need to sort out the maps and decide where it will all happen. I also have other land options in Norfolk but the Colby one seems the best bet so far. So not 100% confirmed but the farmer wants to go through the maps first before we know exactly where we will be. Having good land over three days and all close together is the challenge as a large tract of land may not be as productive as smaller fields closer to settlements. I will report in tomorrow! Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:16 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratton_Strawless

A very quick update to say that after meeting up with half of Norfolks farmers I have agreed some undetected land at Stratton Strawless. click on the link and you will see that its about 8 miles north of Norwich City. Space for camping, parking etc.
I have had several offers of land but for various reasons they did not suit what we wanted. We now have several fields wrapped around the parking/camping area, just off the A140.
I will do a proper recce on Friday and report back re the land which should be short light stubble at worst but he thinks he may have cultivated it by then anyway.
So, lots more to post up later on but at least you now know the rough location, Liam ::g

LIST CLOSED NOW UNTIL I CHECK NUMBERS FROM OVERSEAS.
People have had over 4 months to get their names down. Please do not pay any monies for any places until I know there are spaces. Cheers, Liam

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Great work Liam - much appreciated by us all I'm sure :)
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Garrett Pro Pointer

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Many thanks for all the hard work you have put in organizing this dig Liam, it is much appreciated. ::g

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

heymikey

Post by heymikey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

That's fantastic news Liam, my offer of providing transport for those arriving by train, etc, still stands

Mike

NeverWntd2Dance

Post by NeverWntd2Dance » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Excited 98;
Etrac & Laser Hawkeye
Garrett pro-pointer
Aardvark spade
Member of South Yorkshire MDC :)
+ Plenty of hope and enthusiasm 98;

chemicaldog

Post by chemicaldog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Sounds great, I live about a mile from Stratton Strawless. Well done Liam you've done us proud. Can't wait to meet you all. ::g
Not saving for an XP DEUS. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Many thanks Liam ::g That provides enough detail for me to make preliminary enquiries for a dog friendly Caravan Park with good dog walks within easy reach. (Ditto good pub)!
Your endeavours to make this a memorable event are well and truly appreciated :D Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:41 am

Hi Liam - I'd like to sign up for the Friday, if there's still room for a little 'un.

Barry
Primary: XP Deus
Backup: C.SCOPE CS6MXi
"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Just looking at the Wikipedia link - the unusual name 'Strawless' (they say ) is possibly related to poor land for cultivation but more suited to woodland? All speculative comment. Obviously the land has been suitably improved since those times. Folks have been travelling around or working in (or invading) Norfolk since time immemorial - this site might produce something a bit different from the usual agriculture-related stuff - that's my feeling anyway :) (I won't find it, but somebody will!)

Looking forward to it.

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Garrett Pro Pointer

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Was chatting with a detecting veteran this morning and he says that he remembers a rally about 1/4 mile away from our land that produced tons of great finds. A roman road runs through and saxon finds were coming up as well, plus the place had a busy medieval trading activity. The nearby Fox pub sounds inviting .. I may pop in tomorrow and let them know we are coming, Liam OooO
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The ... d1.2629557

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Well sorted sir, sadly I will be elsewhere that weekend but I`m sure it will go swimmingly! ::g

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:48 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm
Well sorted sir, sadly I will be elsewhere that weekend but I`m sure it will go swimmingly! ::g
The sun wil be out all that week, and weather perfect detecting weather.. No need to bring out the scubagear..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Pifukas

Post by Pifukas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Please put me on waiting list for Saturday.
Thanks.
Pifukas
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Profind-25
Auto+3, Ferrous-Coin, Long Sounds, Auto GB ON.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:48 pm
jcmaloney wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm
The sun wil be out all that week, and weather perfect detecting weather.. No need to bring out the scubagear..
Hello John, "Sun out all week and perfect detecting weather" Yeah right! So, I'd better pack my waterproofs!! Keep smiling :) Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Perfect I'd booked a hotel in May, just below where the dig is ::g fortuitous!! Well done Liam on both a great site choice and being a mind reader :D
XP Deus
4 silver hammered coins - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Just a note to any of you wishing to use a campsite nearby, there are several small 5 van CL / CS sites pretty close to the area, one at Stratton Strawless hall called The Willow's, another on the main Cromer road at Hainford called Milestone, also a couple in nearby Horsford one is Chestnut Farm which is where I stay. It's a pity I can't make the rally but then my permissions are pretty nearby anyway, there have been some pretty good finds in the area over the years so I'm sure you should all have a good time and hopefully a few nice finds.
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES
BEST FINDS HERE; http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showca ... =fulltimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Well .. Its one thing sitting in an estate office and poring over maps and another thing reconciling the agreed fields to the land another 5 miles away! Myself and a club member spent a good two hours walking over the land, deciding which fields would be best for each day, checking the parking, access, camping area and generally getting a fell for the place.
I will put down a few first impressions and this post will be amended several times as we get more information. A proper Fact Sheet/Map will be sent to each person a week in advance.
We are now accepting more entries, so pay via Paypal and then post on here that you have done so and I will add your name.
Location - The Fox public house is about a 5 mins drive away and it seems to have an excellent reputation for food and drink, I will drop in there later on to see if they can cater for large groups, they advertise an outdoor marquee. Could be a good place to eat in the evenings and have a good chat, though Norwich City centre is only a 15 mins drive south.
Directions - there will be blue MDF signs out on the A140 as you turn towards Stratton Strawless onto Parish Road. If you Google for Stratton Strawless, the location shown is almost exactly where we will be, so check that out! More MDF signs will be on the roadway.
Parking - Could not be better, plenty of concrete, so no problems for caravans or anything heavy. We will have parking marshals on duty to make sure cars are put in the best area.
Camping - we have a grassed area alongside the concrete parking that should be firm enough for cars to park up as well. Could those who will be camping please post on here and I will then have a better idea of ensuring enough space. BBQ's are fine as long as we are sensible. I am hoping to rig up some kind of shower system. Hopefully some evening music and lots of healthy alcohol consumption. For campers wanting to get to and from Norwich City Centre we will share cars as needed. Its a beautiful city, plenty to see and do.
Portaloo - this will be provided, toilet also onsite within the farmyard.
Water supply - There will be one there somewhere, forgot to check the pipe location.
Phone signal - seemed ok for vodafone.
Arrival times - Please do not turn up before 2pm on the Thursday as we will still be setting things up and its chaos trying to do that and also greet early arrivals, cannot stress that enough. If you are ahead of time, go have a pint in the Fox.
NCMD/FID - please bring your membership and produce it as you book in. If you do not have this now, you have plenty of time to get it done, its important that we all have insurance.
On the list? ONLY those who have paid in advance via Paypal or direct to me will be allowed to detect. Your name will be ticked off on arrival and you will be given a coloured sticker for your machine, different colour for each day.
Headphones to be used, scrap bags to be worn, all holes filled in or you will be invited to leave. Pets are fine if on a lead.
Drones - they seem to be fashionable on Digs, I have no problems myself but others may object, perhaps that can be discussed and we can agree something?
Start and finish times - Probably a 9.30am start and detect for as long as you wish.
Treasure/hoards - We have found hoards on my Club Digs, plus many treasure items. Familiarise yourself with the Treasure Act - https://finds.org.uk/treasure It will be assumed that everyone will have spent the time to understand what happens if you are so lucky! If a hoard, then let a marshal know immediately so that you are recognised as the finder and then the site will be screened off. This has happened before on a MDF Forum Dig. Routine coin finds etc are yours to keep, anything valued above £200 will be a 50/50 split with the landowner. Overseas visitors will be observing the laws re the exporting of finds and will be advised separately by me.
We will have a Finds Tent (anyone got one?)so please bring in your finds for display during the day, you will be given a receipt.
The Land - Theres LOTS of it! Farmer says never detected, so anything could come up. Light stubble right now but the farmer thinks its going to be cultivated anyway, light sandy soil. We start off on two big fields, next day its those again plus a fresh collection of really interesting fields, then Sunday its all those fields plus another large field.
ECMD Conference delegates - Friday at the Castle Museum and the Maids Head hotel on the Sat and Sun.
More to follow ... Liam :;@

Return to “Rallies”