Spring Detectival 2020

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Doodles
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Doodles »

*PLEASE NOTE ALL RALLIES IN THIS SECTION (unless clearly stated as an MDF event) HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THIS FORUM.*
Please contact the organisers for further information. Their contact details can be found below. Posting a question here for the organisers will not get you a response.


Hey all I am interested in hearing is anyone planning going to next years spring detectival. This will be my first and after seeing last years spring and main detectival on you tube it looks like an experience. Just wondering on peoples view on the event and the camping side of things as I plan on making a road trip for myself all the way from scotland.



User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 594 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by GeorgeMK »

I was a volunteer marshal at both Detectival events this year. I stayed in local accommodation for the spring event and camped at the main event. Camping can be noisy, so if you are the sort of person that needs a good nights sleep I would suggest finding a local hotel or B&B.

Spring Detectival 2020 will be in the same area as this years, but there will be new fields to detect as well as a return to some of this years fields.

User avatar
PinkFloyd
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by PinkFloyd »

Combined Over both events George, how many detectorists in total do you reckon ?

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 594 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by GeorgeMK »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:15 pm
Combined Over both events George, how many detectorists in total do you reckon ?
I really don’t know, but many, many hundreds. Some of the faces at Detectival I’d seen at Spring Detectival, so a lot of people went to both events, and quiet a few people came from overseas, particularly France, Belgium, and Holland.

Doodles
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Doodles »

thanks for the Info i think i be Ok with the noise as long as my camping neighbours are okay with the snoring it be fine. I-) I-) :D

Doodles
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Doodles »

well thats tickets went on sale i managed to bag mine i now all excited awaiting the big event. i think it more the socialising and getting to meet all the other like minded hobbyists like myself and hearing their finds stories that makes the event something to look forward too. hope to bump into a few of you there should be a good weekend i am hoping.

User avatar
Slapster
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Launceston, Cornwall
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 97 times
Contact:

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Slapster »

Like you, I hope to attend, and this will be my first......
Unlike you, Im not clever enough to find where the tickets are on sale.......
Can you assist?
TIA
Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who used to have an open mind, but his brains kept falling out......

Equipment Details:
XP Deus 28RCW5
XP MI-6 Pointer
Shovels, Scoops, Bags, Coats, gloves and shoes.......

User avatar
Slapster
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Launceston, Cornwall
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 97 times
Contact:

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Slapster »

Sorted - thanks. See you there :-)
Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who used to have an open mind, but his brains kept falling out......

Equipment Details:
XP Deus 28RCW5
XP MI-6 Pointer
Shovels, Scoops, Bags, Coats, gloves and shoes.......

User avatar
PinkFloyd
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by PinkFloyd »

Well at least the charity’s are making something ::g

Doodles
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Doodles »

Well that's me ticket and camping sorted only few months to go now only to get my camping gear in order and get any other items i might need before the venue. i am a happy detectorist.

michaelm
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by michaelm »

Hey all! I'm new here, but I hope that somebody can help be.

I planning to visit Spring Detectival 2020. I'm from Ukraine and I have some questions because this will be my first Detectival.

- If I understand correctly, I can stay in camp for three nights (until Monday 6th Apr) for 15 GBP, yes?
- Can I rent a 1 person tent for camping there?
- Tickets for the event include some feeding or not?
- Do they have any support (group transfers, for example) for foreign tourists?
- How I can get to the destination from the airport? I'm planning to arrive at Luton London Airport, then to sit down on a train to the Henley on Thames. Is that a good way? And the second, how better get to the location from Henley on Thames train station?
- I need to take my metal detector or I can get a detector for rent? If I must take my detector, do you know if there any troubles to fly with it?

Waiting for your response and thanks!

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 594 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by GeorgeMK »

michaelm wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:01 pm
Hey all! I'm new here, but I hope that somebody can help be.

I planning to visit Spring Detectival 2020. I'm from Ukraine and I have some questions because this will be my first Detectival.

- If I understand correctly, I can stay in camp for three nights (until Monday 6th Apr) for 15 GBP, yes?
YES. Camping is £15
- Can I rent a 1 person tent for camping there? NO. There is no tent rental
- Tickets for the event include some feeding or not? NO. Food is not included
- Do they have any support (group transfers, for example) for foreign tourists? NO.
- How I can get to the destination from the airport? I'm planning to arrive at Luton London Airport, then to sit down on a train to the Henley on Thames. Is that a good way? London Heathrow is nearer, the train journey is easier. Three trains. London Gatwick is further. Three trains. London Luton is Airport bus and three trains.
And the second, how better get to the location from Henley on Thames train station? I think Taxi. The location is 4km from Henley On Thames station.
- I need to take my metal detector or I can get a detector for rent? There are no detectors for rent. You must bring your own. If I must take my detector, do you know if there any troubles to fly with it? Please ask your airline.

Waiting for your response and thanks!

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 594 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by GeorgeMK »

GeorgeMK wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:24 pm
michaelm wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:01 pm
Hey all! I'm new here, but I hope that somebody can help be.

I planning to visit Spring Detectival 2020. I'm from Ukraine and I have some questions because this will be my first Detectival.

- If I understand correctly, I can stay in camp for three nights (until Monday 6th Apr) for 15 GBP, yes?
YES. Camping is £15
- Can I rent a 1 person tent for camping there? NO. There is no tent rental
- Tickets for the event include some feeding or not? NO. Food is not included
- Do they have any support (group transfers, for example) for foreign tourists? NO.
- How I can get to the destination from the airport? I'm planning to arrive at Luton London Airport, then to sit down on a train to the Henley on Thames. Is that a good way? London Heathrow is nearer, the train journey is easier. Three trains. London Gatwick is further. Three trains. London Luton is Airport bus and three trains.
And the second, how better get to the location from Henley on Thames train station? I think Taxi. The location is 4km from Henley On Thames station.
- I need to take my metal detector or I can get a detector for rent? There are no detectors for rent. You must bring your own. If I must take my detector, do you know if there any troubles to fly with it? Please ask your airline.

Waiting for your response and thanks!

If a flight from Ukraine to Birmingham International is cheaper, that is also an option. Birmingham International to Henley On Thames is three trains, about 2 hours journey.

User avatar
thefiggis
Moderator
Posts: 6141
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by thefiggis »

Good info from George and all you need to know about the event can be found on the event website.

Safe journey and hope you enjoy your visit ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

User avatar
Slapster
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Launceston, Cornwall
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 97 times
Contact:

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Slapster »

I paid via the website and received my "Worldpay" receipt, on 4th December.
It stated that I would soon receive the actual ticket, but nothing has arrived.....
Despite 2 x e-mail queries and sending a copy of my "Worldpay" receipt, I still have received nothing.

Have others received their actual tickets, or am I in the queue when they become available?

Ta,
Steve
Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who used to have an open mind, but his brains kept falling out......

Equipment Details:
XP Deus 28RCW5
XP MI-6 Pointer
Shovels, Scoops, Bags, Coats, gloves and shoes.......

Koala
Posts: 5103
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 1639 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Koala »

I read it as

£50 for two day detecting £2.50 book fee and £15 for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) camping plus VAT
£60 + £3 + £18. = total £81

and finds over 50 years will require an export licence https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/export



a double skin tent can normally picked up for under £30 out of season https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/campi ... gLO7vD_BwE

if you know its not going to rain a single skin tent are under £15

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 12614
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: A Lancastrian living in sunny Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 5139 times
Been thanked: 5949 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Slapster wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:19 pm
I paid via the website and received my "Worldpay" receipt, on 4th December.
It stated that I would soon receive the actual ticket, but nothing has arrived.....
Despite 2 x e-mail queries and sending a copy of my "Worldpay" receipt, I still have received nothing.

Have others received their actual tickets, or am I in the queue when they become available?

Ta,
Steve
It states you’ll receive your tickets electronically within 24 hours of payment. If you haven’t then yes you should chase them up. Note physical tickets are not supplied, you are meant to print your own ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

michaelm
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by michaelm »

GeorgeMK wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm
GeorgeMK wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:24 pm
michaelm wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:01 pm
Hey all! I'm new here, but I hope that somebody can help be.

I planning to visit Spring Detectival 2020. I'm from Ukraine and I have some questions because this will be my first Detectival.

- If I understand correctly, I can stay in camp for three nights (until Monday 6th Apr) for 15 GBP, yes?
YES. Camping is £15
- Can I rent a 1 person tent for camping there? NO. There is no tent rental
- Tickets for the event include some feeding or not? NO. Food is not included
- Do they have any support (group transfers, for example) for foreign tourists? NO.
- How I can get to the destination from the airport? I'm planning to arrive at Luton London Airport, then to sit down on a train to the Henley on Thames. Is that a good way? London Heathrow is nearer, the train journey is easier. Three trains. London Gatwick is further. Three trains. London Luton is Airport bus and three trains.
And the second, how better get to the location from Henley on Thames train station? I think Taxi. The location is 4km from Henley On Thames station.
- I need to take my metal detector or I can get a detector for rent? There are no detectors for rent. You must bring your own. If I must take my detector, do you know if there any troubles to fly with it? Please ask your airline.

Waiting for your response and thanks!

If a flight from Ukraine to Birmingham International is cheaper, that is also an option. Birmingham International to Henley On Thames is three trains, about 2 hours journey.
Thank you, George, for the info! I will try to check the possibility of flying to these airports.

Also, I have one more question about feeding: I had read that there were some food-courts on the event, but maybe, it makes sense to buy some food somewhere in Henley on Thames?

And if will have some more questions, can I ask you by private message? Thanks!

michaelm
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by michaelm »

thefiggis wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 pm
Good info from George and all you need to know about the event can be found on the event website.

Safe journey and hope you enjoy your visit ::g
Thank you!

michaelm
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by michaelm »

Koala wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 am
I read it as

£50 for two day detecting £2.50 book fee and £15 for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) camping plus VAT
£60 + £3 + £18. = total £81

and finds over 50 years will require an export licence https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/export



a double skin tent can normally picked up for under £30 out of season https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/campi ... gLO7vD_BwE

if you know its not going to rain a single skin tent are under £15
Thank you! This is very informative!
Do you know how much time an export licensing may take?

I'll be grateful if you will share some useful links for the metal detecting laws by private message. Because no one’s know it better, then native detectorist ;) Of course, if it does not bother you!

jcmaloney
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 826 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by jcmaloney »

michaelm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am
Koala wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 am
I read it as

£50 for two day detecting £2.50 book fee and £15 for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) camping plus VAT
£60 + £3 + £18. = total £81

and finds over 50 years will require an export licence https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/export



a double skin tent can normally picked up for under £30 out of season https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/campi ... gLO7vD_BwE

if you know its not going to rain a single skin tent are under £15
Thank you! This is very informative!
Do you know how much time an export licensing may take?

I'll be grateful if you will share some useful links for the metal detecting laws by private message. Because no one’s know it better, then native detectorist ;) Of course, if it does not bother you!
You (the finder) can not take anything over 50 years old out of the UK without an export licence.

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/sites/de ... ogical.pdf

Your finds should also be recorded with the PAS as well.
https://finds.org.uk/
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 594 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by GeorgeMK »

michaelm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am
GeorgeMK wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm
GeorgeMK wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:24 pm

If a flight from Ukraine to Birmingham International is cheaper, that is also an option. Birmingham International to Henley On Thames is three trains, about 2 hours journey.
Thank you, George, for the info! I will try to check the possibility of flying to these airports.

Also, I have one more question about feeding: I had read that there were some food-courts on the event, but maybe, it makes sense to buy some food somewhere in Henley on Thames?

And if will have some more questions, can I ask you by private message? Thanks!
There are several supermarkets in Henley On Thames.

Private message is ok.
1AFD9BB5-212D-4210-92A7-0A3406E84016.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Slapster
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Launceston, Cornwall
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 97 times
Contact:

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Slapster »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:26 am
Slapster wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:19 pm
I paid via the website and received my "Worldpay" receipt, on 4th December.
It stated that I would soon receive the actual ticket, but nothing has arrived.....
Despite 2 x e-mail queries and sending a copy of my "Worldpay" receipt, I still have received nothing.

Have others received their actual tickets, or am I in the queue when they become available?

Ta,
Steve
It states you’ll receive your tickets electronically within 24 hours of payment. If you haven’t then yes you should chase them up. Note physical tickets are not supplied, you are meant to print your own ::g
Yes, chased them twice. First time they asked for a copy of my receipt (scanned and forwarded), then I heard nothing!! Chased again last week - giving them the benefit of the doubt due to the Xmas/New Year break....... Thanks,
Steve
Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who used to have an open mind, but his brains kept falling out......

Equipment Details:
XP Deus 28RCW5
XP MI-6 Pointer
Shovels, Scoops, Bags, Coats, gloves and shoes.......

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 594 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by GeorgeMK »

Slapster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:26 am
Slapster wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:19 pm
I paid via the website and received my "Worldpay" receipt, on 4th December.
It stated that I would soon receive the actual ticket, but nothing has arrived.....
Despite 2 x e-mail queries and sending a copy of my "Worldpay" receipt, I still have received nothing.

Have others received their actual tickets, or am I in the queue when they become available?

Ta,
Steve
It states you’ll receive your tickets electronically within 24 hours of payment. If you haven’t then yes you should chase them up. Note physical tickets are not supplied, you are meant to print your own ::g
Yes, chased them twice. First time they asked for a copy of my receipt (scanned and forwarded), then I heard nothing!! Chased again last week - giving them the benefit of the doubt due to the Xmas/New Year break....... Thanks,
Steve
Steve, can you check your spam/junk folder please. I emailed the organisers and confirmed that Lisa has been replying to emails this week after the Christmas/New Year break. You should have received a reply from her.

Koala
Posts: 5103
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 1639 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Koala »

michaelm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am
Koala wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 am
I read it as

£50 for two day detecting £2.50 book fee and £15 for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) camping plus VAT
£60 + £3 + £18. = total £81

and finds over 50 years will require an export licence https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/export



a double skin tent can normally picked up for under £30 out of season https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/campi ... gLO7vD_BwE

if you know its not going to rain a single skin tent are under £15
Thank you! This is very informative!
Do you know how much time an export licensing may take?

I'll be grateful if you will share some useful links for the metal detecting laws by private message. Because no one’s know it better, then native detectorist ;) Of course, if it does not bother you!
never needed one myself as I live here but I quote

"Export licences Detector users from abroad need to be aware that it takes several weeks to obtain an export licence and that they will therefore need to make arrangements for their finds to be sent to them once the licence has been obtained."

Koala
Posts: 5103
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 1639 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by Koala »

I bet the Tesco Super Store will have sleeping bags and tents at a reasonable price ??

User avatar
PinkFloyd
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by PinkFloyd »

Don’t know if they work the same way, but when I recently bought my son a concert ticket , I got an electronic ticket by e-mail... the actual physical ticket arrives 5 days before the concert day

michaelm
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by michaelm »

GeorgeMK wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:11 pm
michaelm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am
GeorgeMK wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm



If a flight from Ukraine to Birmingham International is cheaper, that is also an option. Birmingham International to Henley On Thames is three trains, about 2 hours journey.
Thank you, George, for the info! I will try to check the possibility of flying to these airports.

Also, I have one more question about feeding: I had read that there were some food-courts on the event, but maybe, it makes sense to buy some food somewhere in Henley on Thames?

And if will have some more questions, can I ask you by private message? Thanks!
There are several supermarkets in Henley On Thames.

Private message is ok.

1AFD9BB5-212D-4210-92A7-0A3406E84016.jpeg
Thanks you for the help, George!

michaelm
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by michaelm »

Koala wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:32 pm
michaelm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am
Koala wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 am
I read it as

£50 for two day detecting £2.50 book fee and £15 for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) camping plus VAT
£60 + £3 + £18. = total £81

and finds over 50 years will require an export licence https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/export



a double skin tent can normally picked up for under £30 out of season https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/campi ... gLO7vD_BwE

if you know its not going to rain a single skin tent are under £15
Thank you! This is very informative!
Do you know how much time an export licensing may take?

I'll be grateful if you will share some useful links for the metal detecting laws by private message. Because no one’s know it better, then native detectorist ;) Of course, if it does not bother you!
never needed one myself as I live here but I quote

"Export licences Detector users from abroad need to be aware that it takes several weeks to obtain an export licence and that they will therefore need to make arrangements for their finds to be sent to them once the licence has been obtained."
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind...

andy fraggle
Posts: 562
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm
Location: kent
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Spring Detectival 2020

Post by andy fraggle »

I will be attending this event as I will be doing my part on the C-Scope stand, so if anyone fancies coming by for a chat just come find me.
I am hoping to actually get out and do some detecting on the Sunday so you may see a hoodie or jacket with EVO6000 demonstrator printed on the back.

Hope to see you all there!!!!

Andy Fraggle

Post Reply

Return to “Rallies Forum”